This Can't Be Good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerekPruder

Reaction score
I made a batch of canadian light beer from a Brew Canada beer kit and there is no bubbles coming out of the airlock its been 4 days with no bubbles. please help i also made a lager at the same time and its bubbles fine..

Airlock activity isn't the best indicator of fermentation. It's possible the lid didn't seal tightly enough, the grommet around the airlock in the hole in the lid is bad, or simply the yeast hasn't produced enough CO2 to overcome the ambient pressure inside. Some yeast strains also tend to make the wort carbonated instead of releasing off the CO2, I've heard of that before (though never experienced it for myself yet).

To be sure, you could open the lid just a crack and check to see if there's krausen forming. If so, RDWHAHB. If not, pitch more yeast.

so it is possible to pitch more yeast if nothing is happening i thought this might destroy the wort

Doing one, some or all of the below will help....

a.) make sure the airlock/cap/bung is airtight
b.) get a hydrometer and use it
c.) rdwhahb
d.) read www.howtobrew.com

Were did you get the idea pitching more yeast would destroy the wort?

Is the room temp ok, meaning is it a little on the cold side , just asking b/c I noticed you also made a lager ? Look closely, if it's in a carboy you may be able to see activity even though it's not bubling.

orfy said:
Doing one, some or all of the below will help....

a.) make sure the airlock/cap/bung is airtight

I'm having a tough time relaxing because the stopper/bung keeps "riding up" on me. wait, that didn't sound too good.

anyway...you know what I mean. I use Star San for sanitizing and it must be slippery stuff.

some say to just use a carboy cap, but what do you use to block off the other hole?

Thanks.

Starsan will make rubber stoppers slippery as heck. I usually dry it off with a piece of paper towel before I put it in the carboy.

Thalon,

no, the one I have came on a racking cane, the other hole being utilized by a sanitary filter when racking.

guess I'll have to order a few new ones.

thanks.

Back