Third and fourth batches!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan09266

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

So I just tried my third batch today, a golden strong recipe I got from my LHBS, turned out pretty good, still a little green so I'm going to let it sit a bit. Good to taste it though and glad its okay, we had a massive heat wave here and I was scared I fermented too hot ( I live in an apartment and haven't set up a proper cooling system for the fermenters). So continuing on, because of lack of space I use 1 gallon carboys and this time I wanted to split the recipe and use the existing yeast cake since it was the same beer. I made the second batch right after I bottled the first and pitched it right on top. Fermentation took off well, going nuts for awhile actually, but the other day I checked it (been in for about two weeks) and the airlock water/sanitizer was almost empty and there is a white haze at the top (maybe floating yeast). I can't tell if sanitizer got sucked back through the airlock or just dried out, but I topped it off with more and figured I'd ride it out and see what happens. Do you guys have any idea what this haze is? And if that amount of sanitizer got sucked into my wort is it going to affect the flavor? What do you think?

Edit: one more note, I tried to mix it in a little and after a day its much less prominent, still there though

IMAG0375.jpg

Depends what your sanitizer is. What are you using?

I dunno what your white haze would be - maybe someone else will chime in.

Back