Thinking about adding fruit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grond

Reaction score
So, I've got a 5 gallon batch of AJ fermenting right now...and I'm thinking about adding some fruit after the primary fermentation is complete. Here's my plan:

After primary is done, I'm going to rack to another container and then cold-crash the fermented juice.

After cold-crashing, I'm going to split the juice off into 3 one-gallon containers for secondary. One will have peaches, one will have black berries, and the third will have ginger. All the fruit will have been washed, sanitized, frozen-thawed-frozen-thawed before I add them to the gallon containers. The remaining 2 gallons will be added to a different secondary to age for a bit by itself.

After a few days/week, I'm going to strain off the single gallons (one at a time) and force carbonate...then bottle.

The 2 gallons I'm going to add to my never-ending keg of plain cider (after I sweeten it with a can of concentrate) and re-carbonate in the keg.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? See any flaws or improvements that I could make? Any advice on the ginger (how much, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back