Think I pitched all starter without any yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheelerPhitel

Reaction score
Looking for a quick recommendation. I created a 1L yeast starter with White Labs WLP002 yeast on Saturday. Let it go for 24 hours and everything looked good, with the airlock bubbling, etc. Anyway, there was a layer of sediment on the bottom and I figured that must be just the regular sediment that falls out during fermentation. So yesterday, at the end of the brew day, I pitched this yeast into a british IPA that I was brewing. Except the "sediment" stayed in the bottom of the flask. I figured that was ok, but now I'm thinking based upon searching in these forums about that particular yeast strain that I managed to throw out most of the yeast! Here it is about 18 hours later, and the airlock is not bubbling, although it is offset just a little bit as if a really really slow bubble is trying to form underneath it.

Do you think I should just wait for a bit longer, figuring whatever yeast did get pitched will eventually multiply and do its job, or perhaps should I go buy some more yeast and pitch it, in an attempt to save the batch?

Thanks much!

You always need to swirl the solids into suspension before pitching. I think you should add yeast unless it was real cloudy when you pitched it. Wait a few hours.

Most likely underpitched. I would wait another day if nothing is really going on make another starter and try again.

Yeah, I agree. Even if you didn't agitate before pitching, there was probably plenty of yeast still suspended in the starter wort. (Even clear wort can still have a moderate amount of yeast left in suspension.) You likely underpitched and will probably get a long lag time, but I suspect it will still take off if the yeast health was good before pitching. And if nothing after 24 + hours, it's easy enough to repitch.

Thanks for the feedback. I just realized that my LHBS is closed today anyway, so I guess it is a little bit out of my hands in the short term. I'll at least give it until tomorrow morning to see whether it starts to become active before I do anything. Should I be concerned about any off flavors caused by underpitching, or is it just a matter of lag time?

Thanks for the feedback. I just realized that my LHBS is closed today anyway, so I guess it is a little bit out of my hands in the short term. I'll at least give it until tomorrow morning to see whether it starts to become active before I do anything. Should I be concerned about any off flavors caused by underpitching, or is it just a matter of lag time?

Off flavors are certainly a possibility yes. WLP002 is fairly neutral for an English strain though, and the beer being an IPA will probably mask most of it. ("It" being fruity esters in this case.) Probably see less attenuation too.

Just wanted to pass along a quick update. As of this morning, the airlock was happily bubbling along. So all in all, I think my little yeast goof up cost me about 24 hours of anxiety, but hopefully nothing more. Every batch I do (this is my second all-grain) has something new that I'm not expecting and I learn from each one. Thanks again, everyone.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, there is not much sediment in a starter. The layer on the bottom was mostly yeast.

As already stated you should swirl the flask and pour it all in.

Another method for big starters is to chill the starter until the wort is clear and all the yeast has settled to the bottom then decant the liquid. Leave a little liquid to loosen the yeast cake so you can pour it. Make sure to let it warm up to pitching temperature before pitching it in your wort.

Looking for a quick recommendation. I created a 1L yeast starter with White Labs WLP002 yeast on Saturday. Let it go for 24 hours and everything looked good, with the airlock bubbling, etc.

Im by far a starter expert but....aren't airlocks supposed to be avoided so that oxygen can interact with the yeast?

when i do a starter i swirl it everytime i walk by it to keep the most yeast as possible in suspension.then like everyone else has said swirl it up real good when you pitch it.this also keeps more oxy in the mix so your yeast are happy.

I did the exact same thing on my last brew which was a couple of weeks ago. I ended up making another quick starter (I only gave it about 6 hours before pitching it) and everything worked out. I was hesitant to re pitch since i saw a krausen and the airlock going but figured I would rather have a beer that finished dryer than under pitching.

Latest posts

Back