think i may have a problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muggs

Reaction score
My first attempt at a home brew is in process. It's been in the fermentor since Monday night- so this is day 4. It was an extract kit, to make an IPA. I did a 90 minute boil as opposed to the 60 minute the instructions called for. It also had some grains I steepd at 165 degrees for 20 minutes before starting the boil.

At first, it looked like good, active fermentation (as far as I can tell). But now I'm getting a little concerned. The beer is really thick, almost like caramel, but what concerns me the most is the amount of foam it's generating- so much, it was in the airlock this morning....

Am I worrying too much, or should I suspect a bacteria problem...:confused:

thanks for any help.

IPA's will foam up a lot (it's called krausen though, not foam :D)

If the airlock gets too clogged - put your racking cane hose in the grommet and put the other end in a jug of sanitizer -- a home-made blow off tube.

p.s. yes, you're worrying too much! It's doing what it should do.

what type of beer are you brewing? Wheat beer tends to have more foams.
Did you brew a 5 gallon in a 5 gallons carboy? that might cause problem with foam in the airlock. The beer will thin down after yeast convert the sugar into ethanol/alcohol..

Just be patient. You may consider put a blow off tube and a glass of water before you put the airlock back on in another 2 days or so.

ok.. .IPA it is.. I didn't read it carefully enough

No that's all normal. The foam is krausen. If its getting in the airlock, you may need to rig a blowoff. Thw wort is sticky and carmel like until the yeast eats up the sugar and gives back alcohol.

Dennis

Ah-hah...okay, "krausen" it is. :D I'm as "newb" as newb can get...just working and worrying my way through the process I guess. I'll get there eventually.:D

I believe the carboy is 6 gallons...there was quite a bit of room after pouring the wort into it. I'll check on it tonight, then I might give the blow off tube a shot.

Be careful with the blow off tube,if your using a glass carboy.If the tube gets clogged it COULD cause an explosion.Just my .02 cents.

Use a big enough blow off tube.

Airlock's have more of a chance of exploding and only likely
to a faulty carboy. The quality of carboys, however, has
been brought up several times.

Someone posted not too long ago that his carboy exploded
in his closet.

I clipped the X shaped plastic off the bottom of my 3 piece
airlock because of that.

Back