Things I Hate about Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the hobby of homebrewing more than any other activity but sometimes it can get kind of overbearing and downright annoying. For that reason I've decided to compile a list of the things I hate about homebrewers in no particular order .Really my only goal is get people to think about their brewing and beer. This is just a list of things I've noticed by reading countless brewing forums and going to homebrew events.

1. Those homebrewers who denounce a process because it didn't work for them. ie) "I get nothing out of decoction mashing so therefore it must be crap."

In my opinion, I think that a lot of people could benefit by including "in my experience", "in my opinion" or "for me" to the end of every statement they make. We know that most of what people express are opinions and opinions are made from experiences so what else would they say. Why not look at these expressions and an opportunity to share your experience, maybe educate someone and help them get a better understanding of what they are doing?

2. Going to an event where homebrewers are pouring their beer and much of it is oxidized, too estery, or tastes like rocket fuel.

Isn't this the point of bringing a beer to a homebrew event to share? I assume that you share you observations with the brewer when this happens. Possible trying to work together to understand what flavors you are picking up on (not everyone's palate can detect the same flavors) and discuss what techniques (possible even decoction) could help to improve that person's beers.

3. Those homebrewers who put just about anything into their beer and think it's awesome. I mean Sam Calagione has built a brewery on putting any random **** into his beer but that doesn't mean everybody should. I've had one too many Olive IPA's to think putting any odd thing into a beer is a good beer.

Kudos to you for always being willing to taste something you know you aren't going to like. But if that is the case, stop drinking Olive IPAs. That seems to be the best solution. Again, a healthy dose of "for me" here makes this statement go down better, in my opinion.

But your comment about Dogfishhead seems a little dogmatic to me. If Sam can do it (which you seem ok with), WHY can't anyone else? Just because one person does something well (in some people's opinion) does that mean that other people can't? That seems like a recipe for stagnation. Maybe every experiment doesn't deserve more than a passing glance, but who's to judge it. I applaud people for being willing to share things that they came up with... but I've never drank an Olive IPA.

4. People who have had "great" results by brewing a certain way and therefore this process must work for everyone. ie) "I fermented my saison in my hot Texas shed for 90 days and it tastes amazing, THIS is the way to make a saison."

This seems the inverse of #1 and again a critique of experience and opinion. To that lucky Texan, that IS the way to make saison. For me the way to make saison is... well ... actually in 40+ batches of beer I haven't made a saison so I don't know the way. But once I do, if it's good, I guarantee you THAT will be THE WAY... at least for me.

5. People who use the cost savings to justify their brewing beer. Brewing your own beer WELL does not save you money. Besides, what is wrong with buying great commerical beer, there are lots of breweries doing great stuff and they should be supported. We brew beer because it's fun, not because we're saving anything...time certainly isn't one of them.

Yeah... math. Do you take the capital expense as a one time hit, or amortize it across all the batches of beer you make. Plus do you exclude some, since technically any hobby costs money. And what about opportunity cost, I know what I bill per hour so that makes my beer more expensive, except that this is my down time, so do I factor in the cost of what else I might be doing, or the cost of the psychiatrist if I didn't have a hobby to relax. For me, in raw materials I can make a good beer, per unit, for less that what I would spend at the liquor store. But that doesn't mean that I don't buy commercial stuff. These two aren't mutually exclusive.

6. Homebrewers who focus all of their attention on making a batch of wort but then underpitch, don't oxygenate, ferment at 100 degrees and then ask why their beer sucks.

So tell them. If I was missing out on those fundamentals and that was leading to me making bad beer, I would want someone to tell me. See #2

7. Overly proud homebrewers...just because you won a ribbon or everyone loves your beer doesn't mean you're the end all or be all of homebrewing.

Pride and arrogance aren't the same thing. If you make something good, and you like it, great. If other people like it even better. Nothing wrong with having some pride in your accomplishments. And if you are good at something, and can share that experience and knowledge even more so (see #6 and #2). But being arrogant about it isn't good. Thankfully, in my experience, the best brewers I've met (both homebrewers and professional brewers) and all very modest. They know that they are good at what they do, they take pride in it, but they don't fall victim to hubris. I'm sorry that the other brewers you've met can't make that claim.

I am by no means an expert homebrewer but sometimes I just get pissed off by how our hobby conducts itself. Feel free to call me an idiot, POS, or any other name...or to add to this list.

OK, with your permission, your an idiot, a POS and a number of other things... :mug:

This turned out to be quite the thread and got a lot of people going (including myself). And if I had to put my finger on it it was this line

by how our hobby conducts itself.

Your implication being that everyone is like this. In my opinion, thought not in my direct experience, if you had addressed that "by how some people in our hobby conduct themselves", would have made all the difference.

That and not offering any solution to those complaints. For me, if you are going to criticize something, try to make it better. Don't knock it down, build it up.

If someone made a beer, and they liked it but you think there was an issue, don't be offended by their pride, help them improve it... Maybe resist the urge to do a spit take, but don't taste it and then walk away thinking "This person has ruined my hobby by serving that cr@p". Leave that to the BJCP judges. Ask them a question, make a comment "Is there a little diacetyl in there? What do you do to control your fermentation temperature" or "This is kind of alcoholly, do you use a yeast starter?"

If someone offers you another Olive IPA, decline... "No thanks, that's just not my style... Leave that kind of breweing to Calagione, am I right... have you ever tried brewing a Kolsch? I'm amazed at how difficult such a simple beer is."

So, to hit every point you made, allow me to add one.

8. People who criticize but don't critique. People who make (snarky) comments behind someones back without intending try help the target of their sneering.

And I think that in order to resolve #8, people need to be willing to take the time, think about what they have experienced, share what they have learned and try to make the next experience for both people better.

If all you drink is IPA/PA/porters then you definitely take longer to recoup your costs. However a decent Belgian dubbel is 3.50 at total wine for 350ml bottle. So multiply that by 50 to get 175 dollars for 5 gallons. So a nice homemade Belgian dubbel that you spend 60 dollars on in ingredients nets you a gain of 115 dollars. That means in 5-6 batches you have easily recouped your costs for most set ups. If you make some decent lagers (like doppelbocks/dunkels) then the cost recovery is about 50 dollars a batch for me. The idea that you cannot save money by brewing the beer yourself is patently silly. Just because people choose to brew beers that are easy and cheap to find doesn't mean you can't save some serious cash with brewing. It is a lot like cooking, if you are just making preformed burgers in a frying pan then you can certainly get the same from McDonald's or burger king for roughly the same cost. However if you take the time to properly make a delicious baklava or truffles then the savings is very obvious. Just my $.02 :mug:

This. I haven't made any doubles yet, but all of the beers I brew are recreations of stuff that is expensive / not easily available. If I want two hearted ale, I'll just buy some. I mostly brew hop bomb DIPAs and RIS. Some doubles and tripels are in the works, too. It would cost me well over $200 (probably closer to $300) to buy 5 gallons of PTE, if I could even find it.

While the INGREDIENTS for your bombers might have cost that, did you add in the cost of the equipment to brew with those value-priced ingredients? I think I'm probably about to the point where I'm breaking even given what I've spent on equipment/supplies and then think about how much beer I've brewed if you value each 12 ounce homebrew to about $3. I think there CAN be some cost savings here, but I do agree that you're foolish if you go into homebrewing ONLY for savings on your beer. Odds are, even if you're very modest with your initial setup, you will add extra supplies once you brew a few batches. How many of us on this forum still only have 1 primary bucket, 1 bottling bucket, a spoon, an airlock, an auto-siphon, bottles, caps, a 3 gallon kettle, cleanser and sanitizer? I doubt anyone.

KNOW WUT I HATE ABOUT CHRISTIANS??

1 How they protest military funerals

2 How they wage crusades

3 How they go on the radio and TV and ask for all of your money...

DURRRRRRRR

Don't hate everyone for what a few do.

Know wut I hate about homebrewers?

1 When they post trolling threads about what they hate about homebrewers....

WTF????

While the INGREDIENTS for your bombers might have cost that, did you add in the cost of the equipment to brew with those value-priced ingredients? I think I'm probably about to the point where I'm breaking even given what I've spent on equipment/supplies and then think about how much beer I've brewed if you value each 12 ounce homebrew to about $3. I think there CAN be some cost savings here, but I do agree that you're foolish if you go into homebrewing ONLY for savings on your beer. Odds are, even if you're very modest with your initial setup, you will add extra supplies once you brew a few batches. How many of us on this forum still only have 1 primary bucket, 1 bottling bucket, a spoon, an airlock, an auto-siphon, bottles, caps, a 3 gallon kettle, cleanser and sanitizer? I doubt anyone.

The members of this forum are not "normal" homebrewers by any measure of the definition. There are only 187,000+ members here. There are only 44,000+ registered members of the AHA.

However, there are an estimated 1.2-1.5 million Americans that are homebrewers. The kit and a kilo/Mr.Beer homebrewer is the norm.

I dislike all the homebrewers that keep signing up for all these HomebrewTalk giveaways. I want to win something too!

I also don't get why people get so worked up by postings on internet forums. It's the internet people. You CAN be doing something else.

Gotta get back to signing up for HomebrewTalk giveaways..

I will start by saying I read the first 3 pages, and the last two, that said, I have been involved with two different Home Brew clubs. The first many years ago when I went to my first meeting, it was a potluck BBQ, and I was blown away by how genuine and sincere everybody was. It was obvious I was new, and I was made to feel at home by what seemed to be everyone.
All these years later, I am a "charter" member of a new brew club that meets at our local store once a month, and so far there are 34 people on the email list. Our second meeting was a blast, there was more than 20 of the members there, with everybody bringing at least two offerings for sampling. I didn't taste everything as I had to drive myself home, and there wasn't a mutt in the bunch. There were sincere critiques with no ruffled egos, and I wished we met more than once a month.

OP I think you need to relax, really. You seem to generalize home brewers and we're not all like that. So what if we're proud? So what if we think or can get a couple cases of beer at a fraction of what other craft beer costs? So what if we spend all the time and money to brew but **** up by not controlling temps? Just relax because it does not affect your bottom line.

One point I do realize is more of an issue is the people who believe home brew tastes terrible are the people who were handed something that was just not brewed well. Those people either never venture out again to try home brew or they do and their minds can be changed. I've done it and I was successful. I know, I'm gloating like a ****ing ****** because I changed someone's opinion of HB, but I did. I did not get a ribbon though, so I am not the be all end all.

I just think that basically you're not going to enjoy your hobby if you continue to worry so much about this stuff. The best thing you can ever do for yourself is ask if any of this affects your bottom line and if not, forget about it.

How many of us on this forum still only have 1 primary bucket, 1 bottling bucket, a spoon, an airlock, an auto-siphon, bottles, caps, a 3 gallon kettle, cleanser and sanitizer? I doubt anyone.
My father had 2 buckets, 2 carboys, capper, bottles, and a handful of tubing. And with that...
How many homebrewers are happy with canned extract kits and not on the forum at all?

and remember, most of us BUILD our equipment.. saving even more $$$.
I mostly make Belgians.. Chimay blue is 15.99 for the corked bottle here in PA. I have been brewing for a few years now and all I can say is.. cha-ching!!
I know I saved money. Cheap setup coolers.. copper pipe.. LP converted to natural gas, dual in-line water filters, Chinook & Willamette growing in the back yard... list goes on. I got into homebrewing to save money.. Pennsylvania liquor tax is an outrage!! I refuse to pay it. unless I go out with some buddies.. then I support local breweries like yuengling, and Weyerbacher.

This is great to know that you can grow hops in your backyard in PA. I am looking to move back there in a year or so and was wondering about being able to grow them. Now do you have to take them in during the winter?

This is great to know that you can grow hops in your backyard in PA. I am looking to move back there in a year or so and was wondering about being able to grow them. Now do you have to take them in during the winter?

There is a Hop Farm in Northern Maine, and I know several people here in Central Maine that grow hops and don't have to dig them up. They just leave them in the ground and maybe cover them with extra leaves before it gets too cold.

I'm fairly new to the forum and this is one of the few threads I've read from start to finish, feeling strongly enough about it to post a reply. The OP obviously needed to vent a little. Think about it in other aspects of your life. I can have a fairly uneventful day, but still remember the idiot who cut me off this morning in a rush to get to the McD's drive-thru. The negative experiences stick with us longer and stand out more. I believe a lot of members took the initial post as a personal attack, but what interested me the most is the reaction. Some took to simple name calling, some showed support, and some broke down logical arguments. Interesting & Enlightening. Thank you.

I'm off to go brew my zucchini cumquat quadruple pale quad. DMS is a myth and has never been present in my beer so I plan to use 100% pilsner and execute this no-boil style. This is the only way to recreate my masterpiece but the best part is that it is free. That's right, not even free ninety nine...just free. I'll keep that secret to myself. Maybe I'll write a book to tell you how. Maybe just an ebook. I plan to let it sit outside near the compost pile because that's where my hops grow in pots and I can dry hop it straight off the bines without needing to pluck the hops off. Just bend them right over into the fermenter! I plan to use turbo yeast because that's the way they roll on that Moonshiners show. How else am I supposed to bring this mighty masterpiece of 2.000 OG of beautiful viscosity to bear alcohol? You can call me nuts, but I've found the best way to carbonate beer is with a Super Soaker. Plus it doubles as a beer gun at bottling time! I happen to have a room full of ribbons. My wife makes them for etsy. The best part of that business venture not taking off is that I have 100 blue ribbons for the 2015 state fair!

With that being said... There is often something that makes my day. I nearly pissed myself trying to hold in my laughter, seeing as how I am at work. I did cry a little though, wasabi got sent in the wrong direction.

There is a Hop Farm in Northern Maine, and I know several people here in Central Maine that grow hops and don't have to dig them up. They just leave them in the ground and maybe cover them with extra leaves before it gets too cold.

That is great to know! Thanks for the information!

Hey look at that, something good came from this post after all!:ban:

@grimzella Ditto on the cost savings. Although I haven't gotten into Belgians, not a fan of wheat beers, I do brew IIpa's but for the most part I like a good ale. I started right into all grain and built a lot of my equipment. I can brew a real good beer for $20. When you figure in a cheap $3 happy hour beer x 41 = $120. You recoup your costs quickly. And not having to buy beer for guests. Oh and I have the 4 c's growing in the back yard (Buffalo NY. Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus)

I dislike all the homebrewers that keep signing up for all these HomebrewTalk giveaways. I want to win something too!

I also don't get why people get so worked up by postings on internet forums. It's the internet people. You CAN be doing something else.

Gotta get back to signing up for HomebrewTalk giveaways..

no we can't. we're nerds. even Remmy is a nerd. he goes to the beach & drinks beer, but yet comes back on here while he's doing it to let the other nerds what he's drinking. how did Dolly Parton put it? "nerds on the interwebs, that is what we are..."

I have not personally associated with too many homebrewers other than my good buddy that got me started on this awesome hobby. I also don't really do social networking other than than this forum (if one would even consider HBT social networking). I'm such a social network noob that I'd have to google "troll" to get a good understanding of the term, but I don't really care that much, so I'm not gonna do it.

I have had 2 really positive experiences with homebrewers and HBT. The 1st was the thread "do you want to brew one of the 12 beers of Christmas?", 2011. I'd post the link of the actual thread, but like I said, total noob. No idea... But I followed the course of that thread with so much interest and earnest that I jumped on the opportunity to personally participate in the 2012 12 brews of Christmas exchange and thread. What a great experience. 12 complete strangers, who's only connection was the passion for homebrewing and this forum, brewed 12 separate beers and sent samples to each other to share for the holidays. Total awesomeness. We had some really thorough reviews of the beers from some of the participants and some amazing beers. The through the whole process, there were no arrogant attitudes, no blatantly negative comments and if there were some suggestions made, they delivered in a very productive manner. All told, I was very impressed by the whole experience, and I'd love to participate in something like that again.

So based off this example, I'd have to say that my experiences with other homebrewers have been pretty stellar. Y'all rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back