Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you just love going on a week's vacation knowing that it will take three more weeks when you get back to find all the misplaced orders. Hey boss man, three minutes before quitting time on Friday just isn't enough to get my backup up to speed.....

...had a review today. My attitude is much better now, I haven't been getting so frustrated lately....

Isn't apathy great. ;)

I was standing by the pond at work, looking at the gator basking in the sun. A woman comes out of her office about 30 feet away and shouts to me loudly, "ARE YOU MEDITATING?!"

I wasn't, but my response was, "Well, not anymore...."

Anyone have to write documents that 'sound' like you are helping? This is a new skill that I may have to learn because last three managers are not interested in 'real' processes, they just want me to validate their off the wall (completely not based in reality) ideas. Any time I suggest the work in involved in the on extremely vague decision point (process flow) it just gets ignored anyway.
I used to have some influence based on seniority, now all new managers have some wacky idea that 'out of the box' is the only way to go...and 'stupid idea out of my butt with no background' will solve a problem that is inherent in the current system.
So, seriously, how do I 'review and provide comments' on a document that I know I am just supposed to go.."Hmm, that looks interesting."?

Anyone have to write documents that 'sound' like you are helping? This is a new skill that I may have to learn because last three managers are not interested in 'real' processes, they just want me to validate their off the wall (completely not based in reality) ideas. Any time I suggest the work in involved in the on extremely vague decision point (process flow) it just gets ignored anyway.
I used to have some influence based on seniority, now all new managers have some wacky idea that 'out of the box' is the only way to go...and 'stupid idea out of my butt with no background' will solve a problem that is inherent in the current system.
So, seriously, how do I 'review and provide comments' on a document that I know I am just supposed to go.."Hmm, that looks interesting."?

Three comments to add to all documents that need "feedback":

1. so what your telling me is... (just rewrite sentence above in different words)
2. Can you lay out more specifics on this point.
3. How do you see this scaling up?

Done.

In other words, all's fair in love and war and job seeking among best friends?

Speaking of job seeking....warning to Apple users:

Whatever you tell Siri to call you, that's how she signs your emails (or so I've heard, I use Android).

So if she calls you AnalDestroyer, that's what you're (apparently) signing your emails with. Good luck getting a reply from those resume's you're sending out.

...So I went behind one of the buildings at my place of employment and noticed a couple of new signs...

IMG_20160706_152714525.jpg

...too many big words?
Well here's yer sign...

IMG_20160706_152706799.jpg

Sigh... :smack:

Sometimes ya gotta just laugh... :D

So if she calls you AnalDestroyer, that's what you're (apparently) signing your emails with. Good luck getting a reply from those resume's you're sending out.
Butt it might work to your advantage depending on what job you might be seeking and who you're sending the resume too.
Not judging, just saying. :D

Whatever you tell Siri to call you, that's how she signs your emails (or so I've heard, I use Android).

Moral of the story- don't use Apple products.

Dear Wombraider, we would like to thank you for submitting your application, however...

Just imaging if your boss perfectly represented the nickname, 'confused puppy'. Just imagine, then have a beer that you are not dealing with that.

Explaining to a boss, the difference between the role of 'coordinator' and 'business owner'.
- Coordinators do stuff if it is needed
- Business owners make decisions that it is needed.

Sigh.

Explaining to a boss, the difference between the role of 'coordinator' and 'business owner'.
- Coordinators do stuff if it is needed
- Business owners make decisions that it is needed.

Sigh.

You just summed up my life - except it's sales asking what we do.

Stupidvisor's newest canned response; "sorry I can't help you, just do your best"... Arugh, (face palm)... that's why he makes the big bucks...

Hey Sergio, enjoy your 2 week vacation right in the middle of our big VOIP rollout. I'll just be here losing 3 or 4 days of my vacation as well as coming in early because I have to do my work, as well as yours.

An approximation of an email string from earlier.

Training coordinator: Quadrupled is overdue with training and out of compliance. (Sends to me, my manager and my manager's manager.)

Me: Nope, this isn't correct as documented by this, this and this. (Reply to all.)

Training coordinator: FINE...I'LL LOOK INTO IT. (Reply to all.)

Training coordinator: WOW, I can't believe you threw me under the bus. (Reply to me only.)

Me: WTF are you talking about?!?!

An approximation of an email string from earlier.

Training coordinator: Quadrupled is overdue with training and out of compliance. (Sends to me, my manager and my manager's manager.)

Me: Nope, this isn't correct as documented by this, this and this. (Reply to all.)

Training coordinator: FINE...I'LL LOOK INTO IT. (Reply to all.)

Training coordinator: WOW, I can't believe you threw me under the bus. (Reply to me only.)

Me: WTF are you talking about?!?!

Sounds like you should have replied to all with your response.

I actually used to run into this quite often at my previous job. Not sure why it was the case, I just think a lot of people (especially in admin) get their jollies by railroading other employees in front of people. However, they lose their sh*t when it goes sideways and makes them look bad.

Seven months of work, invalid, because two different groups working on two different approaches to same thing...and every time I asked, what is happening over there? I was told it's fine......SEVEN.....MONTHS......

We have an over-sized meeting culture here and conference calls/WebEx's are constant. It sucks, but you learn to deal. THEN there's the guy who is on his phone (iPhone with mic headphones) in the bathroom. Every. God. Damn. Day. and not on mute. this dude is taking a leak while talking on a conference call. And no joke, its AT LEAST 3 days a week. Dude, move your conference call back 30 min or take a piss before you call in.

customer: I ran the import report and every single line-item was incorrect, so I went ahead and posted everything

me: ...

We've got three new coworkers in our office. All three I have some responsibility to train. Of the three, two of them had relevant education experience, but fresh out of school with no real-world work experience. The third has about 10 years of programming and automation experience....but we're a civil engineering company, so almost none of his work experience is relevant.

Of the three, the first two are beyond hopeless. I hadn't been in the office 30 minutes yesterday morning before the sound of one's voice made me want to scream. He will go barreling down a path on a project that he SHOULDN'T, and spend an hour doing unnecessary work, because he won't stop and ask a question. And then when he DOES ask questions, it's something that had he spent 32.5 seconds thinking about it, he could have figured out on his own. And then he wants to finish your sentence for you when you try to help him. Listen here, dumbfvck. If you "know" the answer well enough to cut me off, why the bless are you wasting my time asking me? Oh yeah....because you're wrong virtually 95% of the time. The second guy is so far over his ski tips he doesn't even recognize it - but can't answer a question to save his life. In our office, if you're one thing, it better be confident. None of this "Well.....I think....maybe...." crap. Either you know or you don't. Figure it out and quit wasting everyone's time. If he doesn't start improving soon, he won't see 6 months in our company. It is honestly to the point that if I'm in the office, 80% of my time is spent babysitting these two oxygen thieves. The third guy? The one with ZERO applicable experience? I spend less than a quarter of the time helping him than the other two. Significantly less. He asks questions when he needs to, and they're smart questions. He's getting it. He's going to be fine.

We have an over-sized meeting culture here and conference calls/WebEx's are constant. It sucks, but you learn to deal. THEN there's the guy who is on his phone (iPhone with mic headphones) in the bathroom. Every. God. Damn. Day. and not on mute. this dude is taking a leak while talking on a conference call. And no joke, its AT LEAST 3 days a week. Dude, move your conference call back 30 min or take a piss before you call in.

That's his way of trying to get the meetings to become one well written email.

My job is basically brewing but instead of beer I brew up a 7000gal batch of industrial chemicals! One guy I work with is basically a goofy idiot. He walks around playing air guitar and forgetting everything! I don't know how he keeps getting promotions but he fist bumps the boss all the time, it's hilarious. We have many jokes about him that he's knows and thinks are hilarious. We call him sloperator (due to his messiness)

Watching YouTube, playing air guitar and fist bumping his way to the end of the day for 60k. Lol. Place is a huge flockin joke!

annoy them right back

Do want.

My job is basically brewing but instead of beer I brew up a 7000gal batch of industrial chemicals! One guy I work with is basically a goofy idiot. He walks around playing air guitar and forgetting everything! I don't know how he keeps getting promotions but he fist bumps the boss all the time, it's hilarious. We have many jokes about him that he's knows and thinks are hilarious. We call him sloperator (due to his messiness)

Watching YouTube, playing air guitar and fist bumping his way to the end of the day for 60k. Lol. Place is a huge flockin joke!

Sloperator. I'm stealing that.

Sounds like a good guy. [emoji38]

Back