Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work with one girl who was very full of herself, always calling herself a "diva". I asked her one day if she sang opera, or sang at all. She said no. I told her she's no diva, and she honestly didn't understand.

**** you, VH1, for perpetuating a false meaning to a word that will never go away now. I told her that Elton John was more of a diva than she was.

I was reprimanded. No worries, I later quit that job & left to make dentures. Even with the hepatitis and AIDS patients, still a better job.

we've got this gal who preaches on about equality in the the work place then goes on (very arrogantly) about how hard it is for a woman to be working a mans' job. I asked her why she couldn't just be a person in a job. her reply? "Because I'm a girl." you just set equality back about 5 decades. congratulations.

since our company recently got bought out they have been hiring new people (mostly night shift) at a higher rate than people that have been with the company for years. same woman pissed off a bunch of people yesterday. she started going on about how she deserves to be paid more than the rest of us since she has 17 years experience. her welds are okay but her cleaning skills suck and her knowledge of what we do is very slim. meanwhile, we have guys that have 30 years experience and have been welding for the company for 15-20 years. they produce solid tidy welds and are immaculate with cleaning. but she deserves more than them.

they produce solid tidy welds and are immaculate with cleaning. but she deserves more than them.

There are a few kids in production/assembly that think they should get paid more than me because they do "manual labor" and I just sit at a desk. They insist CAD is easy. Of course it is, it's meant to be. Caught one of them at my desk after lunch trying to be cute and draw something vulgar. After watching five minutes of frantic clicking and escape key mashing, I showed him how to do it.

Attend a meeting to discuss the one thing on the agenda.

Ask a question about that one item.

OH, so this meeting is too short to get into the details of that item so will have to plan a longer meeting to really get into the weeds about that.

Meeting ends 10 minutes early.

we've got this gal who preaches on about equality in the the work place then goes on (very arrogantly) about how hard it is for a woman to be working a mans' job. I asked her why she couldn't just be a person in a job. her reply? "Because I'm a girl." you just set equality back about 5 decades. congratulations.

since our company recently got bought out they have been hiring new people (mostly night shift) at a higher rate than people that have been with the company for years. same woman pissed off a bunch of people yesterday. she started going on about how she deserves to be paid more than the rest of us since she has 17 years experience. her welds are okay but her cleaning skills suck and her knowledge of what we do is very slim. meanwhile, we have guys that have 30 years experience and have been welding for the company for 15-20 years. they produce solid tidy welds and are immaculate with cleaning. but she deserves more than them.

Tell her to STFU and go make you a sammich. watch her feminist mind explode with rage. then tell her your JK and that shed prob fuk it up anyways just like her sht welds.

I work in an industry (IT Contracting) where the only way to make more than a tiny increase (1-2% yearly to a maximum ceiling) is to jump contracts/change jobs entirely. I hate that company loyalty is pretty much worthless anymore. Sounds like you are in the same sort of industry.

I'll be in this situation soon. Hopefully find out this week if I get to say I quit. The only part I'm on the fence about is that my 2 year review is/would be in one month. If I do leave for better salary, I may not find out if this place was to finally promote me or just give the usual 4%. Guess it isn't a horrible situation to be in.

I'd love to be in that situation. I'm working hard at finding a new place to work. My performance review is coming up soon too, but more often than not it just turns into an airing of grievances session which is of course more of a "this is why I can't give you a cost of living raise".

The down side to this practice is you can only do it so much. This practice will put a black mark on your resume as companies will find the chronic job hopper will be the least loyal so they are the best to cut first when you are doing cutting. Also it can make you unhireable as you can be asking for the top of the scale when it comes to the position you are working in. In other words, when you feel you are getting below the average for the job, go ahead and hop somewhere else. Maybe do it a couple times then sit through for a year or three then consider doing it again.

I'd love to be in that situation. I'm working hard at finding a new place to work. My performance review is coming up soon too, but more often than not it just turns into an airing of grievances session which is of course more of a "this is why I can't give you a cost of living raise".

So far, previous reviews (6mo. and 1yr) they said its entry-level so this is the best they could do at 4%. If it is entry-level, I don't think I should have more design output than the aerospace engineer getting paid triple what I do :confused:

I work in an industry (IT Contracting) where the only way to make more than a tiny increase (1-2% yearly to a maximum ceiling) is to jump contracts/change jobs entirely. I hate that company loyalty is pretty much worthless anymore.

I am in basically the same boat but I have come to terms with it. Though I am a contractor, I pretty indispensable unless they fix their systems....which they keep promising to do but always push of to next fiscal year.

I hopped "diagonally" (move up some in pay but not job title) from contract to contract for about 8 years then ended up with the same company (for a second time), in my old job, at less pay than I left because the industry took a down turn. From that position I clawed my way up to were I am now with an overall increase in pay of about 29% of 6 years. I can go back on the road at anytime for more money but I tired of that so I sit here fat, dumb, and happy asking once per year if my "enhancements" that would put me out of work have been green-lighted yet.

First job in almost 20 years I did not program myself into redundancy.

The down side to this practice is you can only do it so much. This practice will put a black mark on your resume as companies will find the chronic job hopper will be the least loyal so they are the best to cut first when you are doing cutting. Also it can make you unhireable as you can be asking for the top of the scale when it comes to the position you are working in. In other words, when you feel you are getting below the average for the job, go ahead and hop somewhere else. Maybe do it a couple times then sit through for a year or three then consider doing it again.

That's a big misconception, IMO. One of my closest friends has had 8 jobs in the last 6 years. Has has 3 senior positions and he is now making $40k less than his wife (still good money), who is a dentist (he'll never beat her, ha ha). I've also interviewed several people that have changed jobs every 2 years or so, and have hired a couple. Good companies and good hiring managers like to seek the top talent, even if that means the person who is hired sticks-around for 2-3 years. It's the value that person will deliver that is really attracting to hiring managers.

I've worked for two of the biggest companies in the U.S. and the culture is such that each of my managers (including HR reps) have reiterated the point of looking for your next career move after 2 years in your current position. That, of course, is within the company - but, still.

I'm sure you've worked with those grumpy, old people who do nothing and have been at the same company over 20 years and is content with a 2-3% annual raise (and glad with making $100,000/yr. at 60-years old). Yeah - I don't ever want to be that person.

^^^I need a beer after all of that.

I just declined 6 meeting invites because I'll be on vacation and 2-3 minutes later, I receive an IM from the project manager asking if the declined notices were mistakes. I put out for vacation at least 2 weeks ago. ********.

Yep that is what we spot on resumes and ask a little different set of questions. It is really funny when they use those same short temp positions as references when we call on them. Another black mark left is how all your coworkers will remember that you quit no notice. If/when you return those same people might be interviewing you and decide not to take the risk of a short term stint.

Good companies and good hiring managers like to seek the top talent, even if that means the person who is hired sticks-around for 2-3 years. It's the value that person will deliver that is really attracting to hiring managers.

Having top talent for 2-3 years is better than quitting with no notice every 6-8 months.

That's a big misconception, IMO. One of my closest friends has had 8 jobs in the last 6 years. Has has 3 senior positions and he is now making $40k less than his wife (still good money), who is a dentist (he'll never beat her, ha ha). I've also interviewed several people that have changed jobs every 2 years or so, and have hired a couple. Good companies and good hiring managers like to seek the top talent, even if that means the person who is hired sticks-around for 2-3 years. It's the value that person will deliver that is really attracting to hiring managers.

I've worked for two of the biggest companies in the U.S. and the culture is such that each of my managers (including HR reps) have reiterated the point of looking for your next career move after 2 years in your current position. That, of course, is within the company - but, still.

I'm sure you've worked with those grumpy, old people who do nothing and have been at the same company over 20 years and is content with a 2-3% annual raise (and glad with making $100,000/yr. at 60-years old). Yeah - I don't ever want to be that person.

^^^I need a beer after all of that.

I just declined 6 meeting invites because I'll be on vacation and 2-3 minutes later, I receive an IM from the project manager asking if the declined notices were mistakes. I put out for vacation at least 2 weeks ago. ********.

I was referring to the serial hoppers. I worked at the same company as a guy who started there, and within a year and a half jumped 6 or 7 positions and got himself from 50K to almost 100K in that time. He would be at some of them for a month. That kind of behavior is the bad stuff. The key to doing it right is to maintain training (do not abuse the training offered by your job), be a good worker while you are some place, and leave the position better than when you took it on. Leave on good terms if you can.

Yep that is what we spot on resumes and ask a little different set of questions. It is really funny when they use those same short temp positions as references when we call on them. Another black mark left is how all your coworkers will remember that you quit no notice. If/when you return those same people might be interviewing you and decide not to take the risk of a short term stint.

Thats one of the nice thing about being a contractor though. You can jump contracts, and are encouraged to without screwing your company. It is time for me to jump. I have been almost 3 years here. I like some of my coworkers and the work environment, but things have been getting worse and worse. I have been offered a couple different contracts. Going to get shopping.

(and glad with making $100,000/yr. at 60-years old). Yeah - I don't ever want to be that person.

HOLEY ****...I am 46 and making in the mid 60's. What the hell did I do wrong? I am a technology analyst working multiple year projects for software migrations and the ONLY FRIKKEN one that knows our damn server inventory for a national sized system.

Where the hell can I make an additional 40k in the next 14 years???

HOLEY ****...I am 46 and making in the mid 60's. What the hell did I do wrong? I am a technology analyst working multiple year projects for software migrations and the ONLY FRIKKEN one that knows our damn server inventory for a national sized system.

It's all relative to where you live. I have no idea where you live, so let's just do a quick comparison.

Assuming someone is making $60,000/yr. in Des Moines, IA. Comparing against Stamford, CT

The cost of living in Stamford, CT is 66.1% higher than in Des Moines, IA . Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $99,634 to maintain your current standard of living.

Start selling secrets to the competition?

Try living on that in DC. Its possible to be making too much for housing assistance and too little to be able to afford a place to live around here. I was lucky to find a basement 'apartment' for $900/month when I first started working here.

It's all relative to where you live. I have no idea where you live, so let's just do a quick comparison.

Assuming someone is making $60,000/yr. in Des Moines, IA. Comparing against Stamford, CT

The cost of living in Stamford, CT is 66.1% higher than in Des Moines, IA . Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $99,634 to maintain your current standard of living.

Ah...ok. I live in the square states, or as my NYC friend calls them, "the fly over states". I was kinda about to freak out, but yeah east or west coast would be different salaries.

There's a lady in the office - an admin or sorts, that does not have much work to do on a day-to-day basis. She gets an e-mail, and there's a big sigh. She then reads the e-mail out loud. It's tough when you only have one or two things to do at the office...

I need a beer.

Its like the little brat down the hall from me that I post about leaving early (she's already gone today)- she is working 3 projects and turns into an absolute monster when she has 1 deadline. Woman, I'm working 8 projects- 2 with rolling deadlines and 3 that I need to remember to keep the balls in the air for because I'm the only technical worker on them. Don't talk to me about stress.

So... Question.

I'm not a "job-hopper". In fact, I've been pretty loyal. Was at my prior job 5 years, and have been at my current company 8 years.

My current company is good to me. I'm well-paid, I like my job, and I like the people I'm working with. I think I'm being groomed for upper management, but with several years before the people ahead of me leave the company, and with large integration with our "sister company" looming, I'm not sure of any sort of a timetable for that. I'm 37 now, and I think there's a decent chance for me to make Director by 40.

That said, the company is a large company but in a very difficult market right now. We're faced with technology changes down the road, and while I don't think those changes are such that it would do something like put us out of business, I'm not sure there's as much revenue growth potential as there used to be. The company, quite frankly, will have to enter new markets to have strong revenue growth. The good news is that I've got the technology background to take advantages of those technology changes I referenced. I'm too young to "ride out the future" in a declining industry.

I think there's a good chance that if I made a jump, I could get a strong raise and possibly even that coveted Director title I've been looking for. I might have to leave SoCal for the Bay Area to do it, but that's something my wife and I have discussed, and she's open to the idea.

But my nostalgia and loyalty, to some extent, is holding me back. I don't want to let down the folks that have been investing in me and grooming me for upper management. Especially in a company that recently had some downsizing [from which I was spared, obviously], to jump ship now when I've got a solid seat seems crappy...

Am I being too loyal?

Are you being too loyal?

Think of it this way, if market conditions changed and it became financially beneficial for your company to dump you, they would do so without hesitation. They might feel horrible about it, and there wouldn't be anything personal in it, but your ass would be gone. It's not personal, it's business.

You need to have the same ruthless approach. You need to remove emotion from the equation. If it becomes in your best interest to move on, you do it. Nothing personal, you may even feel horrible about it, but this is business, your business.

I've had this same conversation with my boss, and his boss. The way I put it is "as soon as the level of aggravation exceeds the level of compensation, I'm gone"

Now I might question your belief that the Bay Area is cheaper than SoCal, unless you were talking about Galveston Bay.

So... Question.

I'm not a "job-hopper". In fact, I've been pretty loyal. Was at my prior job 5 years, and have been at my current company 8 years.

My current company is good to me. I'm well-paid, I like my job, and I like the people I'm working with. I think I'm being groomed for upper management, but with several years before the people ahead of me leave the company, and with large integration with our "sister company" looming, I'm not sure of any sort of a timetable for that. I'm 37 now, and I think there's a decent chance for me to make Director by 40.

That said, the company is a large company but in a very difficult market right now. We're faced with technology changes down the road, and while I don't think those changes are such that it would do something like put us out of business, I'm not sure there's as much revenue growth potential as there used to be. The company, quite frankly, will have to enter new markets to have strong revenue growth. The good news is that I've got the technology background to take advantages of those technology changes I referenced. I'm too young to "ride out the future" in a declining industry.

I think there's a good chance that if I made a jump, I could get a strong raise and possibly even that coveted Director title I've been looking for. I might have to leave SoCal for the Bay Area to do it, but that's something my wife and I have discussed, and she's open to the idea.

But my nostalgia and loyalty, to some extent, is holding me back. I don't want to let down the folks that have been investing in me and grooming me for upper management. Especially in a company that recently had some downsizing [from which I was spared, obviously], to jump ship now when I've got a solid seat seems crappy...

Am I being too loyal?

move out here. we're hiring welders. I'll even teach you if you don't know.

we need home brewers out here.:pipe:

So... Question.

Am I being too loyal?

Be honest with the people above you and go from there. If they are not taking strides now to stay in business that's a cause for your concern. No need to waste years sinking with a ship you don't have a direct interest in.

PS: the bay area is just as expensive to live in. Scout out housing before moving. And don't be fooled moving to a town like Los banos with no public transportation link to work. Traffic can still be just as nasty up here.

What is your area of expertise again? Expensive to live around here but I will see what I can do if you want to head to the east coast

I'm in the state below you. My area of expertise is having no area of expertise. I'm one of those guys who graduated HS back in the late 80's and thought "Why go to college when it won't help you get a job at McDonald's right now?"

That, folks, is called "not looking into the future." Now, I pay for it by having to take what scraps are thrown at me, because around here, SAS, IBM, BioGen, all want their janitors to have a college degree.

*sigh*

What's your experience then? We have a network here. Let us know your experience and we may be able to hook you up. Otherwise Billy can teach you welding.

I've been off work for awhile due to a very bad flare up of my Central Pain Syndrome, and the evil Trolls who routinely inhabit the nefarious netherworld known as Human Resources demanded updates from my doctor and an absolute sh** ton of paperwork to be filled out by him and faxed over to the outside service that handles the company's short term disability payments. Anyhow, my doctor typed up a letter stating that I was clear to return to work on September 21st, and faxed all the required paperwork over to the people in charge of short term disability and faxed copies to my place of employment. The afternoon of the 21st, just before I'm getting ready to leave for work....the Head Troll from HR calls and asks me if I had received a letter from the shop regarding my termination. I'm like "WHAT?! NO! Termination on what grounds?" The Troll replies "We never received an update from Aetna telling us that your doctor filed the required paperwork to clear you to return to work, per company policy we had no choice but to terminate your position." So, I call my doctor, and his secretary informs me that all the paperwork WAS in fact faxed over and if there was a problem it was either with my employer or Aetna's end of the line. So, yeah.....I give the @#$ers 19 years of my life, and they can my ass over one damned missing piece of paper! Several people have already advised me to seek the opinion of a lawyer who is well versed in workplace disputes.

Be honest with the people above you and go from there. If they are not taking strides now to stay in business that's a cause for your concern. No need to waste years sinking with a ship you don't have a direct interest in.

PS: the bay area is just as expensive to live in. Scout out housing before moving. And don't be fooled moving to a town like Los banos with no public transportation link to work. Traffic can still be just as nasty up here.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a sinking ship. And the company understands what is going on and its trying to adapt. Not the easiest thing for a 40-year established company to do, though.

I've lived in San Jose and my wife has lived in Burlingame and Foster City, so we know the area. If it cane down to moving to Los Banos, I think she'd veto the idea immediately!

What's your experience then? We have a network here. Let us know your experience and we may be able to hook you up. Otherwise Billy can teach you welding.

Hmm... my job experience:

Gas stations
Comic book shops
Washing dishes
Cleaning out OTR trucks
Managed a newsstand
Sold safety shoes
Made same-day dentures
Delivered wine
Cooked in a restaurant in Brooklyn
Cooked fish tacos for a taco stand in Brooklyn
Kitchen prep
Cleaning out empty rental properties

...I think that's it. Next, to write the "Great American Novel"...

:(

I'm not a welder but I know it's one of those easily portable jobs where you can earn a living just about anywhere in the world.

It's also a great talent to have for bartering. My local community college has a good program, I've been thinking about signing up just to have that skill.

Back