Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one that gets me. "How are your wife and kids?".

If I wanted to talk about them I would work from home or bring them with me. No I don't have pictures, I know what they look like. Would you like me to describe them to you?

Jerks...

It's called civility. It falls under the umbrella of getting along with your co-workers. I bet you're a real treat to work with.

dkwolf said:
We've been in a major office remodel for the past four months (as in gut the old office to the exterior walls and completely rebuild EVERYTHING). The first weeks that we were in our temporary office space, the whining about not having our layout spaces EXACTLY the way they were in our previous office about drove me crazy. (we went from each technician having about a 12'x12' area, to 10 people sharing a 20x30' room). Eventually people got used to it, and the whining subsided.

People started moving back into the permanent offices today. And guess what? The new desks aren't EXACTLY like the old ones, and will require a slight adjustment to the way we work.

You'd swear the world was f'n ending.

We did that a few years back, but we got relocated to a construction trailer.... We really played the whole thing up. Velvet Elvis hanging on the wall, pink flamingos out side the door, and a occasional bag of trash with a sign stating trailer trash untill the janitor figured out he needed to collect the garbage out there.

We did that a few years back, but we got relocated to a construction trailer.... We really played the whole thing up. Velvet Elvis hanging on the wall, pink flamingos out side the door, and a occasional bag of trash with a sign stating trailer trash untill the janitor figured out he needed to collect the garbage out there.

Oh man, this is hitting close to home. Except I'm the one who's telling people they have to move to make way for new construction.

You'd think that professionals with multiple degrees, published papers, respected by their peers, would have some other measure of their worth to society than how many square feet they are assigned at work. True story, I got an indignant call from a senior VP who noticed that a subordinate VP had a private bathroom that was three square feet larger than his. Did we spend $30,000 to make sure his bathroom was bigger? You better believe we did!

I just want to say to them "Grow up princess, you can't have a pony"

This isn't so much annoying as bizarre.

I don't know who this guy is, but he works on my floor. I think he's trying to look professional, but he looks like a clown. Seriously, a clown. Green and white checked pants. Pink shirt. Blue blazer.

Slap on some makeup, a red nose, & big shoes and dude is in a clown suit.

This isn't so much annoying as bizarre.

I don't know who this guy is, but he works on my floor. I think he's trying to look professional, but he looks like a clown. Seriously, a clown. Green and white checked pants. Pink shirt. Blue blazer.

Slap on some makeup, a red nose, & big shoes and dude is in a clown suit.

WKRP in Cincinnati

Herb Tarlek?

I hate when people try to wholeheartedly own tasks that only pop up randomly, but pretty much avoid tasks that need to be done repetitively.

The mofo who always says how he would have done it different and better. And the mofo who waits for someone else to do something and then "fixes it". Do your own thing, sucka.

On the first Tuesday of the month at 10 am when the (tornado siren) AKA Air Raid Siren went off (which coincided with my bosses staff meeting time) I called my boss and told him I couldn't come to his staff meeting because you were supposed to get out of trailers in the event of a tornado, and go to a secure location.

I also came in out of breath a couple minutes late to his staff meeting once and gave him the excuse that they were filming cops outside and they told me it was a closed set.

It seems to me that both times his response was something not suitable for print

Another filthy sink incident from lazy coworkers:

image-2667235628.jpg

This is one hour into the day. Nobody here should be that dirty yet.

I'm not sure who, and never will, This plant is open 24 hrs per day, but every night some ass-hat uses my desk phone, I know this because the phone is always turned around... And the image that goes thru my mind is of some sweaty dude sitting in MY chair, legs up on MY desk, using MY phone while jerking off with his other hand into MY trashcan....

dstranger99 said:
I'm not sure who, and never will, This plant is open 24 hrs per day, but every night some ass-hat uses my desk phone, I know this because the phone is always turned around... And the image that goes thru my mind is of some sweaty dude sitting in MY chair, legs up on MY desk, using MY phone while jerking off with his other hand into MY trashcan....

Remove the cord to the receiver

People who call other people "big guy". Stop doing this. You wouldn't say "big girl" to a lady, so STFU.

Would anonymously putting an air freshener, maybe a few of those hanging tree jobbies in the smelly guy's cubicle be an insult? Meaning, do you think he'd march down to HR? Maybe one could hide them really well so he couldn't easily find them. I'm thinking wedge them between desk and cubicle wall or tape under his chair?

Are you sure it's your trashcan and not your coffee cup?

There is a child running amok here. This is a professional office filled with engineers, geologists, and scientists. Just because there is one CAD guy in a back cubicle it doesn't excuse him for paying for daycare like everyone else. This is becoming a regular thing. I swear to R2D2 if I see a little head poke over my cubicle wall I'm going to throw my stapler at it. Go play in the parking lot.

One thing I do that annoys myself is refer to people as "you" and groups of people as "they". When I really should be saying "we".

Like the dude throwing staplers over cubicles while I'm back here trying to figure out how to use shell comand, on the coil of my wort chiller, on solidworks! :D

My pet peeve: passive-aggressive co-workers. Hey, if I did something to torque you off, just tell me and we can work it out, adult-to-adult. I'm reasonable, and I probably didn't even realize I offended you. If I farked up, I'll own up to it. But don't act like nothing happened, let it go unsaid, then undermine me just to get even.

Another filthy sink incident from lazy coworkers:

View attachment 129582

This is one hour into the day. Nobody here should be that dirty yet.

That's some bullcrap right there.

People who call other people "big guy". Stop doing this. You wouldn't say "big girl" to a lady, so STFU.

Sup, tiger? How's your day, sport?

That'll knock that off.

Would anonymously putting an air freshener, maybe a few of those hanging tree jobbies in the smelly guy's cubicle be an insult? Meaning, do you think he'd march down to HR? Maybe one could hide them really well so he couldn't easily find them. I'm thinking wedge them between desk and cubicle wall or tape under his chair?

I'm still going with soap basket.

Sometimes people above me act like work is supposed to be more important to me than spending time with my family or doing the things I enjoy doing. Increasing your demands of people, treating them worse, leaving the base pay the same, and getting rid of OT pay is not the way to convince me to work extra free hours. Actually, it convinces me to do less when I am here.

Look at me, I'm on HBT!

Anybody else have a guy in the office that appears to spend the first couple hours+ of the day in search of doughnuts, birthday cake, etc. Even if it is on the opposite part of the building from where he works.

Back when I was a shop supervisor you could still smoke most anywhere in the shop. Shop floor personnel were 100% responsible for proper disposal of their cigarette butts. The floor was not a acceptable place for butt disposal. Even the plant manager stripped his butts and disposed of them properly. It used to really piss me off when some schmuck from the office would throw his cigarette butts on the floor and walk off. I caught one of these idiots one day just as he was walking off, and explained to him that he could pick up his cigarette butt, The same rules apply to him as apply to shop floor folks, and my employees do not go to his work space and dispose of their cigarette butts on his floor. He made the mistake of telling me that he didn't work for me, and I couldn't tell him what to do.

A brief conversation with my superintendent, then the plant manger, then the engineering manager, and finally the ****** bag extraordinaire and he was cleaning up the all cigarette butts from the office smoking area for 2 weeks, usually while our crusty plant manager came down to my area to BS and make sure it was cleaned to his satisfaction while he smoked.

I kind of miss the old days, today we probably all would have to answer to HR for harassing a smoker

Sometimes people above me act like work is supposed to be more important to me than spending time with my family or doing the things I enjoy doing. Increasing your demands of people, treating them worse, leaving the base pay the same, and getting rid of OT pay is not the way to convince me to work extra free hours. Actually, it convinces me to do less when I am here.

Look at me, I'm on HBT!

Couldn't agree more, my current job situation is like this. I worked on Christmas because it was just a "half day". I am a very business oriented person who understands business costs and operating costs. That being said anyone who works for a company that takes care of the employees often has employees who are more willing to help the company. My dad worked with a company for 25 years and was always well looked after by them for the first 15. At that point the company started to go down into slump between increased competition a decline in the economy. My dad along with many other employees took cut backs on "perks" but were fine with it because they never took a pay cut and were able to keep things going. Fast-forward to the last two years he was in the company. The company had become very profitable again but instead of adding perks for anyone they brought on newer younger employees that would work for substantially less and stopped giving annual bonuses or raises, and even tried cutting salaries after my dad left.

.... The company had become very profitable again but instead of adding perks for anyone they brought on newer younger employees that would work for substantially less and stopped giving annual bonuses or raises, and even tried cutting salaries after my dad left.

That is one sure fire way to make employees leave - inflation going up but not there pay so year on year they are actually making less. The only way to catch up with the inflation is to find another job that pays that days market rate for whatever skillset you have. Stupid companies!

Airplanedoc said:
Anybody else have a guy in the office that appears to spend the first couple hours+ of the day in search of doughnuts, birthday cake, etc. Even if it is on the opposite part of the building from where he works.

We have one guy who can smell free food from a mile away. He comes into the admin building like a dog sniffing for a rabbit. It's pathetic.

My coworker will often punch in and then disappear for like an hour. Then he takes an hour lunch (we only get 30 minutes for lunch but its paid). When he gets back from his lunch nap he eats in his cubicle for at least 30 minutes. At that point it's almost quitting time so might as well not do anything this afternoon...

Free food is one thing I can't complain about. Seems we're always getting fed. Someone brings in food to share. We get the leftovers from catered lunch meetings and presentations. When one of us goes to them, we always manage to smuggle a few sandwich boxes for the rest. Contractors bring in donuts and snacks. The big chief fries spam or goes on a chicken run. The vending machine guy leaves a few bags of whatever he stocks the machine with out on the table. Just today the hot sauce fairy came by and stocked our fridge. My wife says I have a knack for finding jobs that pay me in food.

Back when I was a shop supervisor you could still smoke most anywhere in the shop. Shop floor personnel were 100% responsible for proper disposal of their cigarette butts. The floor was not a acceptable place for butt disposal. Even the plant manager stripped his butts and disposed of them properly. It used to really piss me off when some schmuck from the office would throw his cigarette butts on the floor and walk off. I caught one of these idiots one day just as he was walking off, and explained to him that he could pick up his cigarette butt, The same rules apply to him as apply to shop floor folks, and my employees do not go to his work space and dispose of their cigarette butts on his floor. He made the mistake of telling me that he didn't work for me, and I couldn't tell him what to do.

A brief conversation with my superintendent, then the plant manger, then the engineering manager, and finally the ****** bag extraordinaire and he was cleaning up the all cigarette butts from the office smoking area for 2 weeks, usually while our crusty plant manager came down to my area to BS and make sure it was cleaned to his satisfaction while he smoked.

I kind of miss the old days, today we probably all would have to answer to HR for harassing a smoker

At an engineering job I had back in the '90s, the company went smoke-free. The smokers then had to huddle outside the doorway to light up. They would flick their butts everywhere, despite there being a receptacle. It was their little way of "protesting" the new policy. One day a client remarked about how crappy it looked with all the butts strewn around the entry area. This was enough to make the general mgr. livid. He rounded up all the smokers in the company (about a dozen or so), handed them each a paper cup and told them to go outside and clean every single butt off the ground. The rest of us were invited to take a break and observe our Adopt-A-Sidewalk crew at work.

After that humiliation, we didn't see too many cigarette butts on the ground. :D

We have one guy who can smell free food from a mile away. He comes into the admin building like a dog sniffing for a rabbit. It's pathetic.

My coworker will often punch in and then disappear for like an hour. Then he takes an hour lunch (we only get 30 minutes for lunch but its paid). When he gets back from his lunch nap he eats in his cubicle for at least 30 minutes. At that point it's almost quitting time so might as well not do anything this afternoon...

Had one of those too, though she just left. We would set food out in our office, or candy in a candy dish or someone would bring lunch to their desk and sure enough within a few minutes your would hear "Ooooohhhhh, whats that? Who brought that? Can I have some?" It became a office joke, even after she left.

In the bathroom stalls the janitor leaves disinfectant aerosol spray. People come in next to you and act like they're fighting the plague unleashing a 2 minute blast on the seat before they're willing to sit.

This guy next to me thinks his desk is a drum set. All day long, constantly tapping on his desk to whatever song it is he's trying to mimic. He'll stop for a few minutes then start back up. Freaking annoying.

This guy next to me thinks his desk is a drum set. All day long, constantly tapping on his desk to whatever song it is he's trying to mimic. He'll stop for a few minutes then start back up. Freaking annoying.

I would put thumb tacks on his desk. No **** I would:mad:

milton-office-space.jpg

"But I was told I could drum on my desk at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven..."

Giving me incorrect information and then getting mad at me when the result I give you is incorrect.

I work as a sys admin and am responsible for our print servers. Printer moves or gets added I create a print queue on a server and then forward the details back to whomever is installing the printer with the name and IP address of the printer. Our names are based on printer location (office number/building).

A ticket was submitted for a printer. I created the queue based on the room number they gave me TWICE in the ticket and ONCE in a document attached to the ticket. 5 minutes after creating the queue I get a response:

ID10T: "Why is printer listed in room X, shouldn't it be Y since printer is actually in room Y?"

Me: "Is it in fact in room Y since everything else in the ticket points to room X?"

ID10T: "Yes, remember they switched rooms around? Derp McDerpington is now in room X and Derpina Derp is now in room Y."

Me: "Of course I remember this information that you never told me... Name of queue changed and please punch yourself in the face!" (I wish I could have said that)

Giving me incorrect information and then getting mad at me when the result I give you is incorrect.

I work as a sys admin and am responsible for our print servers. Printer moves or gets added I create a print queue on a server and then forward the details back to whomever is installing the printer with the name and IP address of the printer. Our names are based on printer location (office number/building).

A ticket was submitted for a printer. I created the queue based on the room number they gave me TWICE in the ticket and ONCE in a document attached to the ticket. 5 minutes after creating the queue I get a response:

ID10T: "Why is printer listed in room X, shouldn't it be Y since printer is actually in room Y?"

Me: "Is it in fact in room Y since everything else in the ticket points to room X?"

ID10T: "Yes, remember they switched rooms around? Derp McDerpington is now in room X and Derpina Derp is now in room Y."

Me: "Of course I remember this information that you never told me... Name of queue changed and please punch yourself in the face!" (I wish I could have said that)

Yeah, I find the uptight IT guy at work annoying too.

There's a guy in the cubicle next to me right now who is listening to a webinar that has nothing to do with me and I can hear everything. He keeps audibly complaining about it. Same guy listens to music all day with headphones... maybe he could just plug the into the computer?

There's a guy in the cubicle next to me right now who is listening to a webinar that has nothing to do with me and I can hear everything. He keeps audibly complaining about it. Same guy listens to music all day with headphones... maybe he could just plug the into the computer?

Hmmm. Better call IT.

Back