Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always happy to share my knowledge. And as a bonus are you aware of the "Oh Flocc" button combination? the windows key and the letter D will minimize the entire screen to desktop background (press it again to restore everything again) whenever someone walks up behind you and you dont want them to be reading over your shoulder.

Oh, that's a good one too!

As a manager, there might occasionally be HR-related or other personal/confidential things I'm working on that I need to quickly and easily make disappear...

The lack of common knowledge and unwillingness to learn anything.

That blue jug of fabric softener is not laundry detergent. You can easily tell by reading the label.

If you're a bit chilly, you can change the thermostat, or even shut off the A/C. Don't turn on the heat in July.

Helping a retarded person bake cupcakes? Read the freaking box, and know that they should be in the oven for maybe twenty minutes. Eight minutes does not a cupcake bake. And really, do you think cupcakes look like that?

The hair dryer is not broken. Press the little red button on the plug and the outlet. And don't stand in a puddle of water while using it.

This one guy often smells as if he uses Glade air freshener as cologne. WTF?

Always happy to share my knowledge. And as a bonus are you aware of the "Oh Flocc" button combination? the windows key and the letter D will minimize the entire screen to desktop background (press it again to restore everything again) whenever someone walks up behind you and you dont want them to be reading over your shoulder.

I know alot of things, but this I did not know.
I Can not tell you how this is going to change my daily productivity!
:ban:

also, this little button down by the clock (Windows 7) will do the same as Windows + D

windowsD.jpg

Or here if you use Windows 7.

Capture.JPG

I still just use alt+tab though, I rarely have more than one browser window open.

This isn't really an annoyance so much as an observation, but it always amazes me how casual offices tend to be towards people repeatedly bailing out of work mid-day...as long as it's to go golfing. There are guys here that will play in multiple outings a week through most of the spring and summer, and no one really bats an eye. People that ask to leave for more personal matters are met with an eye roll and, "oh, So-and-so's off to take care of their kid again."

I kinda want to start walking into my boss's office and say, "hey, I'm leaving at noon today...brew day" and see how long it takes before someone says something.

#EngineerProblems

Cool. I didn't know this. Don't even need to move towards the key board.

On win7 you can shake a non-full sized window with your mouse and all other windows will minimize and you're left with only the shook window. reclick and shake again and everything comes back.

I accidentally found that one.

On win7 you can shake a non-full sized window with your mouse and all other windows will minimize and you're left with only the shook window. reclick and shake again and everything comes back.

Oh cool I didn't know this.

Huh, that's pretty cool, although one of the electronic forms I have open doesn't fully minimize, it just makes the text go away and leaves a blank window in the background.

Although I'm not sure I want my coworkers to walk in and see me jiggling my mouse back and forth. I'll probably just stick with alt+tab.

Huh, that's pretty cool, although one of the electronic forms I have open doesn't fully minimize, it just makes the text go away and leaves a blank window in the background.

Although I'm not sure I want my coworkers to walk in and see me jiggling my mouse back and forth. I'll probably just stick with alt+tab.

Mouse jiggling is quite common for looking for your mouse pointer. At least for us old :goat:s

Oh cool I didn't know this.
Grabbing the top bar and dragging to the top of the screen will maximize the window. Dragging to the left side will 'dock' it to that half of the screen; right side will do the same (works GREAT for comparing two documents side by side, or needing an excel spreadsheet and a drawing open at the same time). However, on a dual-monitor setup, you can't drag to the "middle" divide and dock there - hold down the windows key and use your left and right arrows.

Much like alt-tab, windows-tab will bring up all active windows in a stacked-card type view, hold down windows and hit tab to cycle through them.

Things about my co-workers that didn't annoy.
Working with ArcMap often had to have other database software open, side-by-side, to enter data simultaneously. Boss bought me a 42" screen. Had a quality sound bar also.

HURRY HURRY HURRY THIS WILD GOOSE CHASE IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!
DROP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING!!!!!
oh never mind cancel the project

Yep, I get that about once per day.. Or a flat denial that the project was ever needed a few days later, and then I'm chastised for wasting time on something so trivial.

Yep, I get that about once per day.. Or a flat denial that the project was ever needed a few days later, and then I'm chastised for wasting time on something so trivial.

I usually get the waste of time projects that take about 3 days of scrambling to complete, then the next week we find out it was all for nothing.

I don't get chastised for wasting time, I get chastised for not getting the other things done that I dropped in order to waste time. Which to me is even more degrading considering that a waste of time is never even acknowledged as the root cause of the problem, regardless of who was at fault.

I just laugh and remind my boss that he pays me for showing up. I don't make one dime more if my time is productive.

I have to say, my boss has a good sense of humor about these things.

Colleague is a nice lady... but I have no idea how she still has her job or what it is she does. She's been working for the company for over 20 years, and has been an assistant for more than 40.

Questions she comes to me with have included:

How do I move "my internet" to my other monitor?
Why cant I click this check box? (it was a text symbol in word)
What's a pop-up blocker? oh... then what's a pop-up?
My manager just told me to "get rid of this charge" on her expense report. what did she mean? (I told her that I would have to be her manager to answer that question)
What does 1300 hours mean?

I thought that showing her how I google questions before I ask others would be a subtle hint... it isn't. She either "cant get google to work right" or "its not in her internet".

When she doesn't understand what you are saying (which is daily) she just looks at you and blinks. The most basic of concepts needed to do the job pass her by completely. She still doesn't know how to map a printer (she's been on the floor for over a year, and claims she "just doesn't print often"), cant figure out how to submit an expense report, has to ask when someone new on her team joins up and she needs to see their calendar (many of you will know that this is a process that takes 5 minutes on the calendar owner's end and about 45 seconds on the delegate's end). There are some days where I will be spending several hours a day helping her, because Im a team player.

I feel bad kvetching about her because she's so nice. If there is catered lunch on the floor somewhere she always makes sure I get some, which I appreciate. But man.

Sounds like a lost cause.
But she also sounds like she has managed to collect a paycheck for a long time by doing absolutely nothing, which I sort of admire in a way if she's not an absolute burden on the rest of the office.

The troubling thing is that you have become the "catch all" for her questions.
I'd try to figure out a way to direct that toward someone else.
Maybe just a simple "You know what...... Rick in accounting is really good at internet".

I would find a somewhat nice way to ask if she remembers how to do XX task that she was taught how to do 6 months ago. Maybe the early signs of CRS.

I would find a somewhat nice way to ask if she remembers how to do XX task that she was taught how to do 6 months ago. Maybe the early signs of CRS.

Sounds like what the poor lady who calls up 3-4X a day to have her password reset is suffering from. Supposedly she even writes it down.

Sounds like a lost cause.
But she also sounds like she has managed to collect a paycheck for a long time by doing absolutely nothing, which I sort of admire in a way if she's not an absolute burden on the rest of the office.

The troubling thing is that you have become the "catch all" for her questions.
I'd try to figure out a way to direct that toward someone else.
Maybe just a simple "You know what...... Rick in accounting is really good at internet".

The best way to not be the catch-all for someone's stupid questions is to not give a direct answer and force the person to think for herself (or take her questions somewhere else, which is more likely).

Q: "How do I ______?"

A: "What do you think?" Or "I think you know the answer to that."

Do that a few times, and you'll no longer be the go-to.

The best way to not be the catch-all for someone's stupid questions is to not give a direct answer and force the person to think for herself (or take her questions somewhere else, which is more likely).

Q: "How do I ______?"

A: "What do you think?" Or "I think you know the answer to that."

Do that a few times, and you'll no longer be the go-to.

Or my personal favorite. Selective deafness. "How do I..."
"..."

My supervisor literally just told me "I'm aware there has been a deep systematic problem in our federal reporting process for years, but I want New Employee to figure it out. Nobody is allowed to help her and I want it done in 2 weeks."

Hmm I wonder why there has been a problem since he took over as supervisor. Maybe its because you don't allow your staff to work together and combine resources to proofread and troubleshoot a**hole!!!!

Divide and complain. That's his management style.

I hate it when my coworkers use "literally" as unnecessary filler to make their sentences seem more erudite.

Just kidding, in a figurative sense.

it wasn't unnecessary filler. It was a adjective modifying the adverb "just" to demonstrate that it had actually, not figuratively, happened in close temporal proximity to the moment of posting.

Now if I had said, my boss is literally an a**hole, please feel free to comment on my word choice as that is highly unlikely.

Sorry.. I'm grumps and have a degree in English, touchy subject.

My supervisor literally just told me "I'm aware there has been a deep systematic problem in our federal reporting process for years, but I want New Employee to figure it out. Nobody is allowed to help her and I want it done in 2 weeks."

Hmm I wonder why there has been a problem since he took over as supervisor. Maybe its because you don't allow your staff to work together and combine resources to proofread and troubleshoot a**hole!!!!

Divide and complain. That's his management style.

Then if the troubleshooting exercise goes south, your boss has New Employee to throw under the bus.

Had a few managers like that. Real classy. :mad:

Then if the troubleshooting exercise goes south, your boss has New Employee to throw under the bus.

Had a few managers like that. Real classy. :mad:

yup, and he uses the excuse of "they'll never learn unless they figure it out for themselves, and its all about building character and skills. It's for their own good."

Um, last time I checked you are a technician supervisor not a life coach there Jack!

My armoured car guard partner is the type of guy that needs to wash his vest every few days. He washes it every 2-3 weeks.

He knows it stinks, he even wafts it in the truck saying "oh god I need to wash this thing." And still doesn't.

it wasn't unnecessary filler. It was a adjective modifying the adverb "just" to demonstrate that it had actually, not figuratively, happened in close temporal proximity to the moment of posting.

Now if I had said, my boss is literally an a**hole, please feel free to comment on my word choice as that is highly unlikely.

Sorry.. I'm grumps and have a degree in English, touchy subject.

I was being a d!ck. I'm traveling today and that always makes me grumpy.

Apologies,

Latest posts

Back