Thermowell source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhound180

Reaction score
I did a few searches and couldn't find anything. I just purchased a controller an freezer that I will be using to ferment in. I figure that using a thermowell through the carboy bung would be ideal to put the probe in. Am I right? If so, where can I find one? Thank you.

I thought the same thing and I purchased a thermowell for my better bottles. I did some research though and it seems the thermowell isn't ideal. The best way is to tape your probe to the side of the fermenter with a little insulation from the air. I will see if I can find my sources but I don't have them handy unfortunately.

Midwest Supply has a thermowell bung for $23. or you can make one from a carboy cap and a cold water inline from Home Cheapo, like $4 or something. i have pics of how to do it in my gallery under my name to the left.

Is the line Stainless Steel? Did you use just the line from Home Depot and the orange stopper, or did you have other parts? Did you crimp the end? Do you have a pic of just the stopper (not in a carboy)?

dude were are you in the bucky nation pm me and we will talk I may be able , i will be able to make you one.

Brewers Hardware .com is a great place to get them. You definately want the probe in the wort. Taped to the side will obviously get you close, but isn't the goal to monitor fermentation temps of the wort?? Btw welcome fellow buckeye!

pickles said:
Brewers Hardware .com is a great place to get them. You definately want the probe in the wort. Taped to the side will obviously get you close, but isn't the goal to monitor fermentation temps of the wort?? Btw welcome fellow buckeye!

That's was my thinking but again I have no experience with it. Watch the game today? Sucks.

The one from Brewers Hardware works perfectly with one of those orange carboy caps. Just fit a blowoff tube.

Otherwise you can go the DIY route and follow Nordeast's directions.

Wolfhound180 said:
That's was my thinking but again I have no experience with it. Watch the game today? Sucks.

Refs suck. Oh and if you can get a long enough probe for controller just drill a small hole in a solid stopper yourself. Shove probe through stopper. No need for thermowell.

Back