Thermowell Pros&Cons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogcrewer

Reaction score
So I purchased the Love TS controller. Like the rest of us on this board I was going to use it to control my pump and my mashtun stir motor. The question I have is what are the pros and cons of putting the thermowell in the side of the mash tun, or buy a T fitting and put it in the T fitting.

I am leaning towards the T, due to the fact that I don't want to drill another hole into my tun. Just one more place to get a leak from (Gott type).

Anyone have any ideas on this. Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks Don

I setup a T with a thermowell for my whirlpool and I love it (http://morebeer.ning.com/profiles/blogs/geekbrew-20-the-whirlpool-of) and I'm also deciding what to do for my mash tun. I have a kettle that has a stainless coil that the wort is recirculated through and pumped to the MT.

When I talk about measuring, I'm referring to the PID controller measuring and controlling the temp.

Cons:
* If I measure from the T, then the water in the kettle will possibly get too hot and overheat my mash
* If I measure from the kettle, the mash may be a degree or two lower than I want if I'm not paying attention

Pros:
* I can add a thermometer to my MT and after a few brew sessions I'll have it dialed in and know (for example) that MT is at 152 when kettle/recirc is at 154.

I'm pretty close to cutting the hole in the kettle, but would also like to hear the opinion of others here.

I use a modified version of the "T" in my MLT. It works great! I like to control the incoming temperature to the MLT.

HLT_Drain_Valve_Config.jpg

The Pros:
IMHO, I think this setup allows for better control of the incoming temp (for my configuration). That way I can make sure my HERMS is not over heating the recirculating fluid (but that is my opinion :D). I think that either setup will give you good temp control!!!

Cheers! :tank:

I already have a thermometer on the bottom(exit). I added just a digital meat thermometer in the middle of the tun a while ago.

Thought I could use the analog thermometer in the middle and move the digital PID to the T. Either way I am getting a good reading on what is going on in my tun. I am just looking for the most accurate temps.

DSCI0031.jpg

Stand.jpg

I already have a thermometer on the bottom(exit). I added just a digital meat thermometer in the middle of the tun a while ago.

Thought I could use the analog thermometer in the middle and move the digital PID to the T. Either way I am getting a good reading on what is going on in my tun. I am just looking for the most accurate temps.

I think that will be the easiest and cost effective way for you. Your set up looks good!

I did the same but on the top. In my system, I run the pump for the duration of the mash and use the controller to control the HLT gas burner.

Control_Panel3.jpg

It is "test time" for you :rockin:!

Cheers!!! :mug:

Thanks, it is still being constructed. I just made my first batch, a pale ale the other day before I headed out of town. So I have alot of time to start thinking what to improve on next. The pic on here does not show my tun stir motor mounted. It will be controlled with the TS also, but I will put a switch to turn it off if I don't want it on to circulate.

Back