Thermowell Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsDC

Reaction score
So I bought this 10 gallon brew kettle yesterday from someone in my local homebrew club.

I should have asked a bit more about it from the seller, but just for clarification, the fittings on this are tri-clamp or tri-clover, right? (is there a difference?).

To the question at hand, if I wanted to add a thermometer to the top fitting space I would need to purchase a tri-clamp thermowell, correct? Then I could insert any probe thermometer in there and it would give an accurate reading?

Thanks!

JS

kettle.jpg

What you would need is a thermometer that could be mounted in a tri-clamp blank. The one shown in your picture could be drilled to fit, but I'm sure there are other fittings more readily suited for it. Either way, you will want to locate your thermometer lower than that. Your best bet would probably to use a compression fitting thermowell mounted above the existing valve.

I think the easiest way to do this would be to get a 1/2" NPT to Tri clamp adapter (whatever size) and screw and 1/2" NPT into the adapter.

For instance, you could use one of these and something like this if it's 1.5" TC fittings.

Back