Thermometers? Digital? IR? Alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDrew

Reaction score
I got an alcohol thermometer with the kit I bought. It works well but I was hoping to upgrade. Anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind spending the money on a really nice Digital IR thermometer but I do wonder whats the best.:mug:

IR is convenient, but you probably want to know more than just the surface temp. I ended up buying a digital thermocouple off ebay, after a series of useless thermometers.

IR just records the surface temperature of whatever you aim it at. I have this $30 one from Home Depot and it works great:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I'm brewing my first batch of beer this weekend so I can't say for sure how well it would work for brewing, but it is a useful tool in the kitchen as long as you keep in mind it's limitations. It usually works well enough for clear liquids (and oil if you're frying something), but the layer of foam on top of the wort would most likely cause it to read low.

+1 on the thermapen.

BUT, (devils advocate) it is still digital and fallable and if for any reason the numbers don't jive what are you going to do?

Well, you go back to old school, pull out your lab stick alcohol therm and check the pen against it.

Only reason I don't suggest having a lab stick as your primary therm is because the response time is rediculous slow.

Let's see...I consider my alcohol thermometer to be the most accurate; I keep it in my MLT while mashing/sparging to keep an eye on temps. My IR is the most convenient; I use it to get a "ballpark" measurement when heating strike/sparge water. The dial thermometer on my kettle has the best combination of accuracy and convenience. Don't use my digital much.

I have an alcohol lab thermo that is off by at LEAST 8F in the brewing range. Reads 220 at boiling. I always use my CDN digital for spot checking because the dial thermometers on my vessels are fixed in one spot and are slower to react.

I'd use a thermapen if someone bought me one. I'm thrifty like that. I buy my shoes at Marshals too.

Back