Thermometer- red "mercury" split in 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan300man

Reaction score
Luckily I have a backup dial thermometer, but my glass thermometer, with the red liquid in it, appears that the red liquid has split in 2. There is an inch of it at the very top. Not sure if it cooled down too quickly last time? If I heat it back up, do you think the liquid will combine into a single strand? If so I'm wondering if the calibration is whacked.

same thing happened to mine once. I ran it through a calibration cycle (ice water bath/boiling water) and it restored it; at least until it fell off the counter a couple of brews later.

I put in in my boil and the remaining liquid in the bottom got up to about 150F, and the inch of liquid at the other end did not budge. Thinking back, this was from one of the 1-gallon kits I got for Christmas, I salvaged the parts that were worthwhile and used the ingredients in a larger batch. I guess it goes in the trash now.

Latest posts

Back