Thermometer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
I have a standard glass thermometer that came with my original brewing kit, and I guess I'll need to use that for my first AG mash, but I'd rather get a digital one.

1) Is a digital one that much better, or does anyone here use the glass kind for their AG setup? I'm afraid of having to open the cooler and lose heat.

2) If I get a digital thermometer, then will the wire get pinched too much when I closed the lid to my mash tun? Do you need to drill a hole through which to thread the wire?

I use a digital with my Igloo cube cooler and have had no problems with the wire being crimped, the edges of my cooler are rounded and it's a fairly small diameter wire.

The bigger concern here is whether or not the thermometer's probe and wire are waterproof. Some aren't (ie meat thermometers) and if the are submerged they can start reading incorrectly. I found mine at a science lab store online.

The other option is just to do a test run and see how much temp you lose from the begining to end. Once you know that, there's really no need to open and check the analog after you stir and take your initial temp. I know my cooler loses about 1 degree over an hour when it's cold out, so it's not too much of a concern.

Pabst Blue Robot said:
The other option is just to do a test run and see how much temp you lose from the begining to end. Once you know that, there's really no need to open and check the analog after you stir and take your initial temp. I know my cooler loses about 1 degree over an hour when it's cold out, so it's not too much of a concern.

I'm really only planning on taking the temp at the beginning of the mash, and then closing the cooler and putting a towel on it. Other people have my cooler, and so I have no reason to doubt its powers of insulation. :)

If I do get a digital, I'm going to get one of those scientific ones that can withstand 500+ degrees.

I'm currently using a glass thermometer also. I only open the cooler a couple of time to move it and verify it is holding temp. I want to get a digital however as they register temps faster and I want to be able to check for hot or cold spots in the mash.

I'm actually thinking of picking up the digital meat style one from Target for $17. I doubt the wired end of the probe is watertight so I'm thinking about feeding some silicone tubing (think aquarium air) over the probe and up onto the wire. I'll probably clamp it down to the top of the probe by twisting some SS wire around it or maybe some urethane caulk. There's no reason you couldn't leave this draped in your kettle too since silicone is very heat resistent.

Bobby_M said:
I'm actually thinking of picking up the digital meat style one from Target for $17. I doubt the wired end of the probe is watertight so I'm thinking about feeding some silicone tubing (think aquarium air) over the probe and up onto the wire. I'll probably clamp it down to the top of the probe by twisting some SS wire around it or maybe some urethane caulk. There's no reason you couldn't leave this draped in your kettle too since silicone is very heat resistent.

Others have used the rubberized paint with success, but I like your idea because of it's simplicity.

I have a digital with a remote. The remote range sux, but it does have a nice feature that you can set an alarm when things hit a certain temp.
It also has a timer.

It's sort of spendy but I thought in the long run I have something I can count on. The bi metal theremometers are pretty good too, they just need to be checked and adjusted every once in a while. I like them better than the glass type.

Bobby_M said:

How about heat shrink? That might form a decent seal. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to go that route!

Pabst Blue Robot said:
How about heat shrink? That might form a decent seal. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to go that route!

What will subsequent heat do to this? Or is > 212° F required to affect it.

I saw a digital probe thermometer at Wal-Mart the other day, I it was $14, and the packaging said something about "New! Silicone somethingorother" I'm pretty sure the probe wire was coated in red silicone.

That sounds promising.. the Walmart thermo that is. heat shrink might work but I have no idea what it's made of or how long it will hold up to the heat. The silicone is absolutely FDA approved and can handle 500dF. It will probably also provide the best seal. I just need to go buy it. I have the the silicone tubing already from my O2 project.

Back