thermometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegcitybrewer

Reaction score
K so this is probably a stupid question but if I use a my thermometer to measure the ambient temperature of my fermenting closet is there any issue with this? Like does air pressure vs liquid pressure effect the reading at all?

The room the closet is In is set to 68f but the reading on the thermometer is reading 62 right now but has been as high as 65-66. I just calibrated it to freezing (after reading today's feature post) and it seems fine.

Could it be functioning fine?

A thermometer in beer or water will read an accurate temperature a lot faster than in air. I use a thermoworks one with a fine tip that is pretty accurate and can read beer temps in 5 seconds but if in air it can take a long time to read accurate in air.

Got a Promo Lab thermometer with my kit but switch to using a large dial clip on thermometer for brewing. Now use the Promo Lab in the room closet that I put my fermenters in to check the temp but I leave it in there all the time now so I know what the temp is when ever I check.

Is the temp you are taking the closet temp or room?

You should be fine with the temp range for most beers. I also use the temp strips on my buckets and compare both. That way I can either warm up or cool down my buckets depending on what type of beer I have in them.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back