Thermometer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaggy

Reaction score
For my last few batches, I have been using a thermometer like this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18686/102228/Thermometer_-_Digital_With_Alert

(I got mine from Walmart, not morebeer.com) Anyway, I accidentally got it wet past the probe part and now it's pretty much ruined. I was thinking I could get another one and put silicone (aquarium/food safe of course) around the connection of the cord and the probe, so it would essentially be waterproof.
I was wondering if anyone else has tried this or has suggestions for waterproofing a thermometer of this type.

The probe might be salvageable. Bake it at a very low temp for an hour or two and it will likely dry out enough to work again. As for waterproofing, BobbyM did a good write up here.

I would probably by another one but if you bake or just let it set out for a very long time and dry it should come back to life. You proabably have tried to turn it on 16 time by now:D (thats what i usually do) but just let it be until you think its dry than let it sit some more. it will make a good backup

Thanks for the advice, I will try baking it (I was thinking maybe at about 200) for an hour to hopefully dry it out. A small amount of liquid got down inside the probe and now it gives crazy readings.

Back