thermometer problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
I have three thermometers - two of them are digital, and one is classic glass thermometer.

They all read different temperatures in the same ambient. first reads 18 C, second 19 C, and third 19,6 C

I am so pissed now because of this.

How to successfully calibrate the thermometer?

I would go w/ the one that reads closest to 0 in a crushed ice and water solution, and closest to 100 at boil if you are at or near sea level.

If that's a hassle....use the one in the middle?????

the problem is that I am at 600 meters above sea level.....

it should boil little lower than 100 C, but not sure how much....

and I have another question - how do I test a thermometer in a boiling water? should I put the sensors inside boiling water and not move the pot from fire, or should I wait the water to boil, than remove it from heat and than put thermometers inside?

at 600 meters, it'll boil at ~98.1C

one of them reads exactly 98 C in boiling water, while two other read 4 degrees less (94 C)...

I just put all thermometers in a glass with ice and water and the one that reads 98 C in boiling water reads -1 C in ice, and two other read +4 C....

hm, I suppose I have a winner

Back