Thermometer Debate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
Like to hear some people weigh-in....

Thermometers for my keg:

Digital probe Thermometer OR Dial Thermometer with weld-less fitting?

Some guys i've spoken with say the dials get inaccurate readings since they sit inside a sleeve and the mash/wort that is in that sleeve may be effecting the reading.

Any opinions before i start constructing this keggle? I'm going to be using it a BIAB kettle for a while until i can use it as a mash tun

Sit inside a sleeve? Bimetal dials are slow to react. I'll give you that. However, brew in a bag is not really going to work with a sharp digital probe. The bag may get snagged.

You've already posted this question on the forum.....in this same forum subject, no less. Anyway, let me answer again:

For BIAB, a thermowell isn't going to do you mush good. If you have the thermowell high enough to measure the grain temp, then the BIAB bag is going to get snagged. If you put it low enough not to snag the bag, then it isn't measuring the grain temp.

I have a BIAB keggle, and I invested in a Thermapen. Easy breezy:
For BIAB, a thermowell isn't going to do you mush good. If you have the thermowell high enough to measure the grain temp, then the BIAB bag is going to get snagged. If you put it low enough not to snag the bag, then it isn't measuring the grain temp.

I have a BIAB keggle, and I invested in a Thermapen. Easy breezy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P601S2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back