Thermobarrel and no sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWood

Reaction score
Hey folks- I sold my ice cube mash tun and retired my round rubbermaid to purchase a 15 gallon Chapman Thermobarrel. My local store (shout out for Alternative Beverage in NC) gave me a great deal and this tun is worth the price. I wanted to try a full volume no sparge mash and my first brew session was great. Recirculated for last 30 min of 1 h 15 min mash and hit 68 BHE, down a few points from regular fly sparging, and down about 10 from when I continuously recirculate with my herms hlt setup. So one less burner and keggle to deal with sounds good to me, just an an extra lb of base malt to offset decreased efficiency. The thermobarrel held temps for entire mash, and I love the recirc port included. I wish it had volume markings but all water was pre measured before dough in anyway, so no issues. I considered the SS infusion mash tun but this was just a better deal, and I like the 15 gallon size. Just made my brew day easier and more enjoyable. Looking forward to experimenting more with my new tun Not the best pic but u get the idea. Cheers!!
20190208_144703.jpg

Last edited:
Bought my thermobarrel last year. Love mine too. I put a blickman auto sparge on my top port. Really improved my sparging.

Bought my thermobarrel last year. Love mine too. I put a blickman auto sparge on my top port. Really improved my sparging.
That's good to hear. I thought about an aytosparge as well. Might be my next purchase. Cheers.

Back