Therminator Fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavyaz19

Reaction score
My wife got me a terminator for Christmas... now I need to figure out how to hook it up. IMO the instructions weren't great in regards to buying the proper fittings. I went to Lowe's with the instructions in hand and the guy there had no clue either.

I've searched the forums and still don't quite understand what I need.

I'm thinking this might be an easy answer, however it doesn't include tubing:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/quick-connector-fitting-kit-for-therminator.html

Could someone who has a therminator please explain in layman's terms EXACTLY what I need. Please assume all I have is a therminator with no fittings and no tubing. Product numbers / links to where I can buy them would be much appreciated as well.

Please fill in the blanks:
1.) Cold water in fitting:
2.) Cold water out fitting:
3.) Hot wort in fitting:
4.) Cooled wort out fitting:
5.) Cold water in tubing: (I'm assuming this is just a standard hose)
6.) Cold water out tubing (Inner Diameter / Outer diameter please... or is this a standard hose again?)
6.) Hot wort in / out tubing: (ID / OD... and the ideal material of tubing to handle nearly boiling wort)

I really appreciate the help!

The water side is garden hose connectors. You can buy hose adapters at Lowes in the garden section.
The wort lines are 1/2" NPT (male pipe threaded fittings)

1. Water hose - Female end (use a FEMALE REPAIR KIT for one side of a hose)
2. Water hose - Female end
3. 1/2" Male NPT - Female hose barb like this ONE
4. 1/2" Male NPT - Female hose barb like this ONE

5. Water hose - cut one in half and use a female repair kit from lows to make another hose.
6. Same

7. Hot wort in and out - Silicone tubing -

Clamps - #8 stainless steel

Wayne, thank you for the suggestions and links... very much appreciated!

Today, I realized that I'm still missing more equipment to make this work.

Here is my set up:
-15 gallon boil pot (no spigots at the bottom, it's a solid pot)
-the therminator (and soon it's proper connectors / tubing from bargain fittings)

But how do I get the wort to the chiller? I don't have a spigot on my brew pot so I can't even elevate the pot and allow gravity to feed the therminator. I can't use my auto-siphon because I'm sure it's not rated for boiling wort.

I see most people use march pumps. But I'd still need to feed the pump from above somehow to prime it. Again, back to not having a spigot or the ability to start a siphon.

I don't have a problem buying a pump if I can figure out a way to feed it. Do I need to buy a new brew pot to make this work?

I'd love to hear some advice on this and it'd be great if I didn't need to buy new equipment somehow.

Thanks!!!

It sounds like you need to put a drain in your kettle.
Even a stainless raking cane would be dangerous priming and draining to the chiller.

If you are not handy, I'd get with a nearby homebrew club and see if they have someone who can help you put a drain in your kettle.

Wayne, thank you for the suggestions and links... very much appreciated!

Today, I realized that I'm still missing more equipment to make this work.

Here is my set up:
-15 gallon boil pot (no spigots at the bottom, it's a solid pot)
-the therminator (and soon it's proper connectors / tubing from bargain fittings)

But how do I get the wort to the chiller? I don't have a spigot on my brew pot so I can't even elevate the pot and allow gravity to feed the therminator. I can't use my auto-siphon because I'm sure it's not rated for boiling wort.

I see most people use march pumps. But I'd still need to feed the pump from above somehow to prime it. Again, back to not having a spigot or the ability to start a siphon.

I don't have a problem buying a pump if I can figure out a way to feed it. Do I need to buy a new brew pot to make this work?

I'd love to hear some advice on this and it'd be great if I didn't need to buy new equipment somehow.

Thanks!!!
Wayne is right, you need to have a valve in your brew pot. That is too much liquid to try and move by syphoning or pouring, especially when it is at sub-boiling temps. Installing one is not difficult and there is a ton of information out there about how to do it.

Back