Thermapen sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a thermopen and loved it but it died after years of using it for grilling, forgetting it was outside in the 100 degree Texas heat, occasionally getting rained on, etc. When it died, it was the switch that turns it on when you open the probe though, so it may not have had anything to do with the weather, just a weak link in the design.

I bought another, because I to have no cognitive intuition, and it's just great. I used it to figure out that my first all grain was mashed 3-4 degrees to low when after the mash I checked out the other kitchen thermometer I was using against the thermopen.

I too have a 30 cm glass lab thermometer, but I honestly have no idea between my shop and my garage where it is. I really need to do some cleaning and organizing.

I also just ordered a CDN. You just can't have too many tools!! :D

Oh, and I keep forgetting this.

AZ, I just love the Proper Goat Anatomy avatar! I found it on the net and have sent it to my baby goat loving daughters and my wife!

If anyone wants to send me a Thermapen, I'll take it.

Till then I'll keep using my CDN. The same one I've been using for I don't know how many years! I think I spent $15 at Walmart for it.

Thermapen is the most accurate thermometer under $100. +/- 0.7°F
The CDN is +/- 2°F. I have the type k Thermapen (not in production anymore for some reason) that has been abused for 7 years. Auto off is annoying but I deal with it and don't lose battery life.

Sure, I guess it's okay and relatively instant read. If you can actually get the dumb overpriced thing to turn on and stay on.

My CDN DTQ450X is as accurate, just about as quick (more so, since it actually turns on), and a helluva a lot cheaper. Think I bought it from Bobby_M for about ~$14.

/rant

I got this one from my grocery store with the grilling stuff. It works so well, I have 3 of them now. Backlight, fast, accurate, waterproof, C/F. Not sure what the allure of the Thermapen is, but I've found a great solution for kitchen, grilling, and brewing.

61-r%2BcUxGqL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this one from my grocery store with the grilling stuff. It works so well, I have 3 of them now. Backlight, fast, accurate, waterproof, C/F. Not sure what the allure of the Thermapen is, but I've found a great solution for kitchen, grilling, and brewing.

Certified is the keyword I guess. Thermapen is (sorta) if you look up the specs. I had nearly a dozen "cheap" thermometers when I decided to get my Thermapen. I put them all to the boiling/ freezing test and all they all read pretty close.

As a brewer, I realized that I didn't really care about the temperature of boiling or freezing H2O (both are pretty obvious without a thermometer). I wanted to accurately measure a temperature somewhere in between.

I found a +/- 10 degree max variance in my cheap thermometers compared to my Thermapen at strike/mash/sparge temperatures. I was quite stunned by the inaccuracy because "everything digital is completely accurate" right?

I did have one gem in a $10 digital that matched the Thermapen all the way. You may have one as well if your beer is good. But what if you are off by one degree in the mash (temps in recipes are given to the degree)? Would the beer be even better if you weren't?

Certified is the keyword I guess. Thermapen is (sorta) if you look up the specs.

Yea, I assumed that part of the extra cost of the Thermapen was probably a calibration of them. I didn't trust these cheapies at all when I bought them (for grilling), but they give they all give the same exact temperatures, and are accurate in boiling and water slush, so I guess I got lucky.

I should note that I've been using them for a few years. They are pretty grungy from falling in all sorts of stuff, but they still work perfectly.

No criticism here of the more expensive product. I'd still like to have one of them, but no need atm.

Finally sent my Thermapen back in. Was sick of it not working.

So, with the shipping cost to send it back, and the repair cost (probably at least $25), I could've got a couple more thermos that actually work. :eek:

My CDN finally died the last time I tried to use it. The case had a crack for a while and I guess I dunked it one too many times.

I bought a cheap replacement at Meijer. Got it home and found the 2-piece plastic case comes apart VERY easily. Luckily I also bought a kitchen thermometer with a long lead.

Thermapen is officially entered into my Santa list for the young one. She seemed to be taking notes on which thermometer I would like while we were shopping. She even checked prices online while I looked at the cheap store brands.

What sucks about your CDN? Of all the units I've tested, they are badass. I too have a thermapen and it's fast and accurate just like a $90 thing should be. I leave it in my kitchen drawer for cooking and grilling. I use it to spot check a few of the CDNs with every shipment of a gross. See, even though the CDN is less than 25% of the cost of the thermapen, it's reasonably close in performance and I don't care if I lose it or break it. Incidentally I'm still using one I've had for 4 years and it survived one accidental dunk in 175F strike water and one full dunk in a bucket of starsan.

I just got one recently and use it for grilling and as reference for all the brewing thermometers to reduce the number of calibration checks.

For grilling it's great as I can get in and now measure the meat temp before the hair on my knuckles singe.

wow i thought everyone loved the thermopen. my only complaint is the high price.

I have a thermapen, but hardly use it any more because it turns on only when it wants to. I got a DOT from thermoworks and a couple of Pro Series probes for half the cost of the thermapen, and they work extremely well.

I bought a Splashproof when they first came out, primarily for the kitchen, where it is truly unsurpassed.
wrt brewing, I use it mostly for yeast starters and the like - and to calibrate the bazillion temperature probes across all of my control systems.

I've changed the batteries once. It's more reliable than the sun...

Cheers! ;)

The ThermoWorks RT600C has worked great for me for years and it's like, $18. Not sure why anyone would need to make the jump to ThermoPen unless your working in a super high paced environment (i.e. not a garage).

They've fixed my pen for free and are sending it back. I guess the calibration component is toast and can't be fixed, so if it gets out of whack, I'll just have to toss it.

Their customer service is good.

I hope the pen works better than it did and holds calibration for awhile.

I feel that people who use Thermapens are "tools". In the same category with people who wear Leathermans and pagers on their belts, hell in the same category with people who wear belts.

I feel that people who use Thermapens are "tools". In the same category with people who wear Leathermans and pagers on their belts, hell in the same category with people who wear belts.

No belts in Finland? What's your opinion on socks? :D

I love my Thermapen. I've been using it for a few years now. I use it for cooking/grilling too.

It replaced 3-4 other thermometers that either sucked or stopped working. I probably spent the equivalent of 2 Thermapens on them.

I'm not a thermometer snob. I just like stuff that works well. I don't mind paying more for something that is built well, and gets the job done.

How many times are you going to troll this thread, dude?

I feel that people like you are tools...

Finally sent my Thermapen back in. Was sick of it not working.

So, with the shipping cost to send it back, and the repair cost (probably at least $25), I could've got a couple more thermos that actually work. :eek:

I just sent mine back last week too. I purchased it used from a member on this forum thinking I was getting a good deal. Didn't work right since I got it, and now the price on them new has dropped...

I've been using my $20 ThermoWerks RT600B for years. Great probe. No issues.

The ThermoWorks RT600C has worked great for me for years and it's like, $18. Not sure why anyone would need to make the jump to ThermoPen unless your working in a super high paced environment (i.e. not a garage).

Hmm... first it was $20, now it's $18? Well, which is it?! Seems like your story is full of holes! I call shennanigans!

I'd rather pay more and get some something that requires less worry. I just don't have to wonder whether my Thermapen is calibrated correctly. That's worth a premium. I use it for brewing, cooking, bbq, etc, and it's been great in every situation. I've thrown away at LEAST $100 worth of cheap thermometers that stopped working reliably over the past 10 years. Tons of examples of Thermapens lasting that long, even with hard daily use in commercial environments. I'm happy to invest in quality, especially when it means I have one less thing to worry about. My list of stuff to worry about is long. And honestly, in the long run, the $60 difference between a cheap $20 thermometer and a $80 Thermapen (I got mine for 20% off: sales are frequent, just sign up for the newsletter and you'll have one within a few months, or less) will be long forgotten within a year.

http://www.cooper-atkins.com/Products/Digitals/Waterproof_Pen_Style_DPP400W/

DPP400W.jpg

I work in food service and have to say this thermometer is a true workhorse. Battery lasted me 9 months or so with near daily use. Super fast, reliable (we calibrate daily at work, and I have not actually had to adjust mine yet) and the design fits well in pockets. I think they're between 20 and 30 on fleabay. Cooper thermometers in general are awesome.

I just sent mine back last week too. I purchased it used from a member on this forum thinking I was getting a good deal. Didn't work right since I got it, and now the price on them new has dropped...

The price on the "old" Super Fast Splash-Proof model has indeed been dropped - but that's because they're "old", and the new Mark 4 model has been released - at the same price as what the "old" model sold.

I have to say I'd never buy something like a thermometer used as it seems unlikely one would actually sell a fully-functional thermometer at any meaningful discount...unless the seller needed to scratch up bail money in a hurry.

Even then I'd be skeptical...

Cheers!

Shh! Don't tell anyone but that it the exact one I use too! It's very acccurate at mash temps, as verified by several other thermometers.. I think I paid $12 for mine...

Fred

The price on the "old" Super Fast Splash-Proof model has indeed been dropped - but that's because they're "old", and the new Mark 4 model has been released - at the same price as what the "old" model sold.

I have to say I'd never buy something like a thermometer used as it seems unlikely one would actually sell a fully-functional thermometer at any meaningful discount...unless the seller needed to scratch up bail money in a hurry.

Even then I'd be skeptical...

Cheers!

You mean you wouldn't trust your fellow homebrewtalk(ers)?

Hmm... first it was $20, now it's $18? Well, which is it?! Seems like your story is full of holes! I call shennanigans!

Yeah, I guess these threads just never die. This thing has been around so long I had to tell the same story again. Must have rounded the first time!

Yeah, I guess these threads just never die. This thing has been around so long I had to tell the same story again. Must have rounded the first time! I guess it's time to unsubscribe and let everyone continue picking on each other for their opinions.

Let's keep this alive a little longer. I love my Thermapen. It is accurate and FAST. It always starts and stays on for the allotted time. I have a cheap digital that is so friggin' slow that I don't even know where it is anymore.
I was willing to pay some more for the speed and accuracy. I didn't find the same assurance for accuracy, speed and durability with the CDN when I was researching 3 years ago.

What I get a kick out of is that it's so easy to make a calibration correction chart for ANY thermometer that is isn't even funny. My MOST accurate unit is a Pt100 RTD hooked to a PID readout that I calibrated. It is what I then use to calibrate other thermometers.

What you do is go to Google Earth, and look up your place. Round to the nearest 100 feet of elevation. Look up the boiling point at your elevation. Boil RO or DI water. Insert the thermometer, and let settle for.. oh five minutes or so. Note the reading on the thermometer if it isn't adjustable.. if it is, tweak the adjustment.

At that point you are probably close enough and good enough to know the correction at mash temperature for the device.

Then put ice into relatively pure water. Up to about 100 ppm TDS is probably good enough (I say this because you generally don't need to freeze DI water for this). Let it settle for 15 minutes. Read the the reading, that is your "cold" correction factor. If, you are, for example setting up a keezer or ferm chamber this one is the likely "close enough" reading.

You can then take the slope of those two points to figure out a better correction at any temperature but I'll leave that exercise up to the reader. On an adjustable unit you can back and forth those two setting adjustments until you get it perfect if you want, but generally the thermometers are linear enough in that range that you will find it to almost be exact anyway.

But you can take a thermometer that reads way off and still use it with the correction factor you just found assuming that it's still linear. And it will indeed be accurate to better than 1F that way.

What I get a kick out of is that it's so easy to make a calibration correction chart for ANY thermometer that is isn't even funny. My MOST accurate unit is a Pt100 RTD hooked to a PID readout that I calibrated. It is what I then use to calibrate other thermometers.

What you do is go to Google Earth, and look up your place. Round to the nearest 100 feet of elevation. Look up the boiling point at your elevation. Boil RO or DI water. Insert the thermometer, and let settle for.. oh five minutes or so. Note the reading on the thermometer if it isn't adjustable.. if it is, tweak the adjustment.

At that point you are probably close enough and good enough to know the correction at mash temperature for the device.

Then put ice into relatively pure water. Up to about 100 ppm TDS is probably good enough (I say this because you generally don't need to freeze DI water for this). Let it settle for 15 minutes. Read the the reading, that is your "cold" correction factor. If, you are, for example setting up a keezer or ferm chamber this one is the likely "close enough" reading.

You can then take the slope of those two points to figure out a better correction at any temperature but I'll leave that exercise up to the reader. On an adjustable unit you can back and forth those two setting adjustments until you get it perfect if you want, but generally the thermometers are linear enough in that range that you will find it to almost be exact anyway.

But you can take a thermometer that reads way off and still use it with the correction factor you just found assuming that it's still linear. And it will indeed be accurate to better than 1F that way.

That sounds like a lot of work. I'd rather pay someone else to do that for me. That's why I bought the Thermapen. :D

That sounds like a lot of work. I'd rather pay someone else to do that for me. That's why I bought the Thermapen. :D

So are you going to throw it out and buy a new one every six months or so to keep it in calibration? Or send it in?

8 years of being a test engineer has taught me even the best equipment can't hold a calibration forever. And as nice as a thermapen might be, it is crap compared to lab grade equipment...

A homebrewer claiming that boiling water is hard... sigh... stubborn people...

dropped my Thermapen in hlt last brew session at 165f. took about a minute to get it out and thought for sure it would be in bad shape. Nope, still works like a charm and is all clean. :)

All my CDN's would be off by 5 to 10 degrees which would most likely affect my mash efficiency.

I would get a Thermapen any day of they week as they are super accurate and tough.

Of course there is the money factor but I love brewing. Any hobby is expensive in some way; money, time, stress. Thermapen makes my brewing less stressful.

What you do is go to Google Earth, and look up your place. Round to the nearest 100 feet of elevation. Look up the boiling point at your elevation.

I moved to a city at sea level so I never have to perform this step :) Now to find a way to ignore friction, gravity, and keep ambients at STP and all the math becomes SO much easier.

Regarding the thermapen, I'd definitely buy one but the cheapies work so well that I haven't had the need. Someday maybe.

I had a nice Fluke temp meter (thermocouple). I think it had two channels. One day it fell into the mash and, though I pulled it out really fast, the LCD display was hosed. I took it apart several times to try to get it working, but it was always missing a bunch of segments.

Back