there's a warning on my oxygen tank label...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhellad

Reaction score
I bought one of the common red O2 cylinders from Home Depot and I noticed a warning on the label. It reads, "Warning: This container and byproducts of the combustion of its contents contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm." I read this as strictly talking about the container but am I overlooking a safety issue regarding any impurities or chemicals mixed along with the oxygen itself? I have never heard of any dangers in using these before but was curious about it. -thanks.

If you don't live in California, you'll be fine :D

But seriously, the combustion of O2 leaves CO2 (and CO if mixed with something else), which can be dangerous when inhaled. Do whatever you plan on doing in a well ventilated area. California has that warning on everything. Literally everything. Even my ice fishing jigs.

Yeah, that label is everywhere. Recently, I had to peel that sticker off of every single fitting I bought at the hardware store for a weldless ball valve I was putting on my new HLT. Ever drink from a garden hose? Apparently you're going to get cancer, birth defects, and/or reproductive harm now.

And it's not just because California has a stick up it's proverbial butt. Given enough time, somebody in California WILL sue that oxygen bottling company due to cancer, birth defect, or reproductive harm that their "doctor" says can be attributed to using that specific oxygen cylinder. As long as that label exists, the company is in the clear. They were forewarned. (Even though the chances of that being the cause are slim to none)

Man i should start making health hazard stickers, then get a scientist to convince congress to require them on everything. Seriously the people who make these things must be banking from this.

Man i should start making health hazard stickers, then get a scientist to convince congress to require them on everything. Seriously the people who make these things must be banking from this.

Makes me wonder. Since California is also one of the leading regions for plastic surgery would a mammogram image indicate a label?

That would be hilarious.

Actually, the combustion of atmospheric air (78.1% nitrogen, 20.9% oxygen, 1% trace gas molecules like Argon, CO2, etc) leaves Nitrogen, and though Nitrogen inflates our lungs, there's no oxygen available for cellular respiration.

As far as breathing 100% oxygen, you can breathe it but you will die in about 5 weeks from "nitrogen washout". Oxygen will replace the nitrogen which keeps your lungs popped open and you will die from collapsed lungs.

:cross:

DY

Bought a growler and pint glass as a brewery in Big Bear, CA and it had a "Prop 65" sticker on the bottom.
Proposition 65 (formally titled "The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986")

TheCarnie said:
Can you imagine opening a pack of breast implants and seeing one of those stickers. The ironic hilarity would ensue.
They would most likely require the woman to get the warning tattooed somewhere on her body.

damnyankee said:
Actually, the combustion of atmospheric air (78.1% nitrogen, 20.9% oxygen, 1% trace gas molecules like Argon, CO2, etc) leaves Nitrogen, and though Nitrogen inflates our lungs, there's no oxygen available for cellular respiration.
Actually, when the combustion temperatures are high enough, various oxides of nitrogen are produced using the nitrogen in the air. Typically abbreviated as NOx. These are harmful to us and the atmosphere, at least according to the California Air Resources Board that is. So who knows.

Ironic = one of the most polluted states in the country regularly berating us in the states with clean air and streams you can drink from :p

Back