There is still hope for your first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon_Skiers

Reaction score
So i am drinking my first batch right now and thought I would share a story to give help to the other beginners out there.

I received the kit for xmas from the wife. Well she everything out and wrapped it individually so I had a **** ton to open. Because of this, I didn't know the recipe kit came with its own instructions, so i was following instructions from the brewing book she got me. Long story short, here is the list of mistakes I made....

1. didn't steep any of the grains.
2. only added the DME when I was supposed to
3. Added 2 out of 3 packages of hops at one time about 25 minutes after adding the DME
4. I then realized I had a package of LME, so i just dumped that in.
5. I then also realize there was a whole package of grains and a package of hops left. So i put them all into the same grain bag and dropped them in for the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.
6. Once i did find the kit instructions, it told me to have it ferment from 62-68Deg, which i did. It sat there for 3 full days not doing anything.
7. on a whim i moved it to an upstairs closet where it was roughly 68-70 and had activity in about 12 hours.
8. I brewed on MLK day and bottled on the 30th of Jan. Prolly not nearly long enough. During bottling, i realized after about 6-10 bottles that I didn't stir in the priming surgar what so ever. So in a panic, I grabbed an unsanitized spoon from the kitchen, gave it a quick stir and continued bottling.

However, the moral of the story, I have a drinkable beer. It tastes nothing like it is supposed to but it has decent head (enough retention to hold a bottle cap) and tastes like beer.

I think it is safe to say i screwed up a lot of steps and still ended up with a decent brew!
:mug:

:D I thought my first batch was bad! Point proven though, you made and currently have beer. Obviously the moral of the story is RDWHAHB. We've all made mistakes and I'm sure there are more to come from most of us. We'll still be making beer though.

This gives me hope. Mine is in its 1st week of bottle conditioning. It tasted like (decent; dare I say: good) beer when I bottled it, but I'm not out of the woods yet.

Back