Theme To Your Brewing / Theme "Sets"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylja06

Reaction score
I quickly made a twitter account called Desperate Hours Brewing, after the song "These First Few Desperate Hours" by the Mountain Goats, and it ended up with the lead singer/songwriter getting in touch with me to say how happy he was with the idea.

So my first five beers are all going to be named and themed after Mountain Goats songs, to appreciate John's support and keep the namesake making sense.

Anyone else doing anything similar? A buddy of mine who does collaboration brews always names his version of the batch after the other brewer.

I work for a place that has everything named with a "Nuclear" theme using elements or components of nuclear reaction, process and delivery in the name somehow.
I get the idea and all but it gets old after a while and wish they would change it up a bit now and again just to keep it fresh.

Awesome band and awesome idea.

I have been toying with the idea of making all my beers around the old HBO show "The Wire". I think it could be cool. McNulty Irish Red, Presbelewski Pilsner, The low rises IPA and the Towers DIPA.

Nice song too.

Thanks FreshZ. I was freaking out about John getting back to me; a friend came up to me at a party that night and asked what it felt like to talk to an elder god.

And yeah, I agree with the sentiment concerning going overboard with a theme. Flying Dog always got to me a bit, but they are moving away it seems.

Since I am in the Navy and a submariner, I started naming all my brews after Navy and submarine related terms. Some of them still get the Navy treatment, but I agree that the same theme gets old pretty quick, so I've been trying to change it up a bit.

I started entering in my local fair and they have a seperate competition for labels so I came up with musical instruments in nature. My 2 favorites are ones I found locally. The first one was a piano that was built around a tree on a disc golf course. Locals called it the piano hole until a few years back when some idiots tore down the piano. I was lucky enough to snap a few pics and I call it the Piano Tree Pale. The other is a guitar that is sitting outside a bar called The Maiden in Big Sur CA. It's in a small-ish garden and there was a plant growing through the sound hole. I took a shot from the top of the headstock down and changed the logo on the headstock to read no strings IPA.

theme beer?

sometimes a date on the cap with a sharpie or a plain paper stuck to the bottle with glue stick and "stout" written on it is pushing the envelope for labeling.:D

I'm cheep and lazy with labeling
beerz.jpg

theme beer?

sometimes a date on the cap with a sharpie or a plain paper stuck to the bottle with glue stick and "stout" written on it is pushing the envelope for labeling.:D

haha, that was pretty much my plan until a friend offered to design our first label.

I have just started a series of "Magic" themed beers (Yup...I'm really nerdy) I made an "American Bitter" called Magic^2, its a play on words of a Magic Square math puzzle.

I'm going to make a normal pale ale and call it Magic^3, its based on the original name for a Rubik's Cube "Magic Cube" (FYI I can solve a Rubik's cube in under 2 min)

Ok I'm gonna go hide my nerd......

I really need to watch The Wire. I have the complete series but just never put the time in. My ex and I watched Carnivale instead a few years back.

Movie based beers could be solid. Nice bitter for mumblecore, crisp pilsner for romcom, sour for experimental, etc

I don't have any theme really, I just try to come up with something that fits the beer. Like my pumpkin ale is called Sinister Squash, my gingerbread ale is called Fat Santa, my watermelon wheat is called Melon Smasher Wheat, and my Munich SMaSH is called Slam Dunkel.

Really though, if you think about it, successful breweries really don't have themes. New Belgium doesn't, Sam Adams doesn't, Sierra Nevada doesn't.... their companies and beers are mostly named after figures/countries/area's.

If I ever name my brewery it may be dwarf/viking themed. :fro:

Latest posts

Back