The worry/concern begins anew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yin_Yang

Reaction score
LOL. So I got home and the bubbling had slowed down to one every 40, so i decide i should rack it, because its been exatly 7 days anyway. I open the bucket, and the tell tale signs of being done are all there. No krausen, the dark residue on the sides of the bucket where the krausen steadily dropped. So from everything i've heard it's a go ahead. I sanitized my autosiphon and tubing before hand, as well as the 5gallon carboy.

The autosiphon starts out perfectly. So basically effortless, seems to be a perfect racking session. BUT while i was watching the fluid drain into the carboy, i noticed that it picked up a lot (not a ton, but a good amount) a lot of the floating yeast, and some sediment from the bottom of the primary. Is this going to be a problem? or will the yeast and sediment fall to the bottom anyway?

Also while I was carrying the heavy a$$ carboy down the hallway, about 20ft, into the closet i was going to put it in, it splashed around (with cork and airlock already in)a LOT, enough to have bubbles appear on the top. Will THIS be a problem? because i know oxydization is a bad thing.

I also took a hydrometer reading . At racking time it was to have 1.021 gravity. I read it at 1.019, this is good enough right?

Also the color is supposed to be: Low: 4 Predicted: 16 Hi: 11. (It's An English Pub Ale)

from what ive seen pictures of what 16 is to look like it seems much darker...find pictures below. 2 w/ flash 1 without.

Thanks guys

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/cbaillo/pubale2ndf2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/cbaillo/pubale2ndf1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/cbaillo/pubale2ndf3.jpg

You shouldn't have any problems. A small amount of trub and yeast from the primary to the secondary isn't going top hurt anything.

It's tough not to splash the beer when you are moving the carboy. Again I wouldn't worry. You may have introduced a bit of O2 into the beer but splashing also causes CO2 to come out of suspension. The CO2 is heavier and should displace the lighter air.

It's really hard to tell the color of a beer from the carboy. Don't judge the color until you see it in a glass. The beer appears to get darker as it clears but yours looks pretty clear. Again no need to worry. I'm always more concerned with the taste more than the color of the brew.

RDWHAHB :mug:

Yeah let it sit, let it settle, let it clear itself out. Your secondary will do what it's supposed to do. It'll be fine, and you'll have beer!

Ize

RichB is right on. All I can add is that you should think about what you are racking to as more of a clearing tank than a secondary fermenter. Because, well...that's what it is. Getting some trub in there is (imho) much better than calling off a siphon prematurely. The gunk that made the transfer will settle out as the beer gets happy. And then, all is good.

EDIT:
insert 'and Ize' after first word. mad fast 3am typing by the ize. is it noon over there or something?:tank:

I have done 7 whole sessions so far and you guys are soo right , it is really hard to brew bad beer. So many of the noobs me included want to succeed so bad but are not sure how we are doing. Thanks for helping us all out. My last session was an IPA and a sampled it right after kegging 3 days, iot was ok, but now after 3 weeks from then aqll is golden, all the flavors have been getting to know each other and man what a smooth rich flavorful brew, I can't wait a high school friend of mine is spending a week with us while he visits his failing mother. he is from Seattle and loves the brew pubs so we should have a good time drinking what I have made.:rockin:

i just looked into my secondary, and it seems more yeast/sediment got in there than i thought. No activity in the airlock, but there appears to be a very thin yeast/sediment cake on the bottom..about 2mm thick. Is this going to be a problem?

No, not a problem. I always get a little trub in the secondary too.

Yin_Yang said:
i just looked into my secondary, and it seems more yeast/sediment got in there than i thought. No activity in the airlock, but there appears to be a very thin yeast/sediment cake on the bottom..about 2mm thick. Is this going to be a problem?

I wouldn't worry. I had about 3/4 of an inch of sediment in my secondary for my first brew.....it turned out great! I really don't think that 2mm is anything to worry about.

The fact that there is crapola at the bottom of your secondary is a good thing - that is more or less all you had it there for anyway. It makes it all much....clearer...in my head to refer to it as the 'clearing tank' than calling it 'secondary fermentation'. 99% of you fermentation was done after primary, it you racked at a good time. Sounds like you clearing has occured!

ok i'm sure this is just needless worry again, but take a look at the pics below. I just took off the blanket covering my secondary and saw this. The floating green particles were there since i racked. Not really sure what they are, thought they were yeast, but they also look like hop pellets that didnt break up all the way.

my area of concern are the spots of white bubbling. I just want to make sure thats not sign of contamination, like mold or bacteria or something. Are those just minute areas of fermentation or what? I thought fermentation should be complete now? is this normal?

sorry i sound worse than a new parent, but that's how this first batch is to me...it's like my first born in the brew world.

pubalecont2.jpg

pubalecont1.jpg

Regarding the pictures: The white stuff is just yeast fermenting, but the brown chunks I must admit have me a bit confused. Have you been using your chain saw near your fermenter perhaps? Do you have a small child stuffing peanuts into your fermentors? Whatever it is, it probably will just make the beer taste better and don't worry about it. Doesn't look like mold or bacteria to me. Probably bits of hops and other trubby debris. Then again, maybe it would be better to just give up and send the entire batch to me for extensive analysis...

Fiery Sword said:
EDIT:
insert 'and Ize' after first word. mad fast 3am typing by the ize. is it noon over there or something?

:off: ROFLMAO! Sorry just saw this! Too funny! Almost 3 your time, 2 mine, and no, not noon, but knee-deep in the bag that night. I'm sure I left all kinds of bits of wisdom all over HBT... :eek:

Yin_Yang, as long as you weren't chopping wood over your wort I think it'll be fine. Just some kind of broken up trub from the look of it. Cover it up, put it back in the dark and let it do it's thing. :rockin:

EDIT: And Brewsmith above nails it. :rockin:
EDIT DEUX: Sorry treehouse, missed that too.. sheesh what have I been drinking?
Ize

Maybe it's cookie crumbs! My 2yo leaves a bunch of stuff like that all over.

It's possible...

And I'm working on my 2nd 22ozer right now...:drunk:

Brewsmith said:
Maybe it's cookie crumbs! My 2yo leaves a bunch of stuff like that all over.

It's possible...

And I'm working on my 2nd 22ozer right now...:drunk:

I've got those! And toys that belong in his room but somehow seem to migrate to the living room all the time too! I never knew Lightning McQueen was a migrating species.... :drunk:

Ize

Do you live at my house! :D

Cars everything.

Cars, books, pillows, blankets, pull-ups, underwear (we're potty training!)

LoL! Since we're threadjacking, yeah I've seen it at least 10 times since Christmas.

And that makes me happier than a Tornader in a Trailer Park! YEEEEEHAWWWW!!!

:drunk:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :D

LOLOLOLOL

Ize

Brewsmith said:
"I'd give my left two lug nuts to work with Bessie."

LOLOL! Yeah that and Buzz Lightyear Space Rannnnger... Youngest just discovered Toy Story... screwed again.... :p

Ize

LOL no, not plywood. The chunks were tehre when I opened the primary.. Like i said, and others seem to back, i always just thought it was chunks of yeast, o pieces of unbroken hop pellets.

What if the stop never drops? should i net it out or something? or just leave it?

Back