The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thoughts. You do gotta give some credit for what they attempt to do. I dont usually feel the tension that I think the show tries to make me feel, maybe I'm just jaded or spoiled from other things I've been into.

But a big thing to consider is that this isn't a movie based on a graphic novel, such as the Watchmen. That was fit into a 3 or 4 hour long directors cut and from what I'm told, stayed true to the graphic novel. This is cable TV, so the hate for the governor over his wicked deeds must be brought on by something different (unless what I heard about the comics comes up very soon. I mean, we do have three episodes left), because some **** just can't be shown on cable.

You also get the factor where the guy who wrote the comic is a writer for the show. I'll use an example of something similar. An ex girlfriend read The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks, the book to chick-flick guy. The book was about the girl and her dad and her romance was a side-story, but the movie was the same story but told differently to focus on the romance. With The Walking Dead, it still focuses on Rick but things are re-written to tell a similar story differently. Part of it is to keep things new and create surprises, and part of it is production limitations. Its possible that AMC wanted more episodes so the writers had to stretch the story out a bit.

"Lost" made the mistake of having absolutely no point or pre-meditated story. I will hate it passionately as long as I live.

My brother used to follow it. I was prejudiced but watched an episode anyway and was like "wtf even happened? I'm sofa king lost."

My brother used to follow it. I was prejudiced but watched an episode anyway and was like "wtf even happened? I'm sofa king lost."
That was every episode, and in my opinion, their mistake.

All of this crazy but seemingly interconnected crap was happening and it was assumed that there was some HUGE APOCALYPTIC INGENIOUS ending that would somehow reveal how it was all tied in.

Turned out that the *****ey writers were just coming up with the craziest stuff their feeble minds could, with NO IDEA what the ending was.

I could have done much better if that was the only goal.

cheezydemon3 said:
"Lost" made the mistake of having absolutely no point or pre-meditated story. I will hate it passionately as long as I live.

And I watched every single episode. Several years I will never get back.

That was every episode, and in my opinion, their mistake.

All of this crazy but seemingly interconnected crap was happening and it was assumed that there was some HUGE APOCALYPTIC INGENIOUS ending that would somehow reveal how it was all tied in.

Turned out that the *****ey writers were just coming up with the craziest stuff their feeble minds could, with NO IDEA what the ending was.

I could have done much better if that was the only goal.

The show started when I was in high school and friends would talk about the show at lunch, and I always said it sounded like they just try to pull stuff out of their butts and write the show with no direction. I watched Once Upon a Time and American Horror Story: Asylum for a few episodes each with my girlfriend, and those shows gave me a similar impression minus the way they had a beginning and end and just wrote crazy crap for the in-between.

The show started when I was in high school and friends would talk about the show at lunch, and I always said it sounded like they just try to pull stuff out of their butts and write the show with no direction. I watched Once Upon a Time and American Horror Story: Asylum for a few episodes each with my girlfriend, and those shows gave me a similar impression minus the way they had a beginning and end and just wrote crazy crap for the in-between.

I'm hoping that OUaT has better plans than that

American Horror Story is a different critter. most of the same actors as last year, just entirely different story with different characters set in a different era and I hope they do something totally different again next year.

I'm hoping that OUaT has better plans than that

American Horror Story is a different critter. most of the same actors as last year, just entirely different story with different characters set in a different era and I hope they do something totally different again next year.

Yeah I think the idea is that each season is a different scary story

Yeah I think the idea is that each season is a different scary story

I think so too. The thing I hated about this last season was the damn girl kept getting caught by bloodyface. You kept thinking she was finally free and then some different obstacle would come up. But instead, same obstacle. I thought the show was above par, just there was that frustration. Maybe its intended to be like that and I didn't perceive it that way.

I think so too. The thing I hated about this last season was the damn girl kept getting caught by bloodyface. You kept thinking she was finally free and then some different obstacle would come up. But instead, same obstacle. I thought the show was above par, just there was that frustration. Maybe its intended to be like that and I didn't perceive it that way.

Yep. I stopped watching after a while. It felt more like a slasher scary story than a psychological one and I prefer the latter.

Yep. I stopped watching after a while. It felt more like a slasher scary story than a psychological one and I prefer the latter.

it was kind of both, with some Catholic church bashing and a little Nazi torture pr0n thrown in plus alien abduction

wow... sit down and think about it and it was just freaky soup

birthday present from a family friend

Poster of Sophia emerging from the barn. they had this as part of the set of Talking Dead last season and I wanted it from the first time I saw it

IMG_8345.jpg

Heh, pretty cool.

And it really makes me think there still might be promise for this season. We think this one is dragging along, but have we forgot that season 2 did as well?

How much of the season were they at the farm? How much of the season were they JUST LOOKING FOR SOPHIA? And them BAM... the payoff when she stumbled out of that barn made it all worth it. If they had only been searching for her for a single episode, it just wouldn't have the same impact.

I'm hoping something similar is in store with this whole Woodbury thing. Something mind blowing that makes the whole season worth it.

But I'm not holding my breath.

I actually wasn't the biggest fan of Sophia coming out of the barn. I thought it was a little bit of a cop out that she was there all along. It's a twist, a shock, but I felt so much more could have been done. Maybe my memory is just fuzzy but I think I was let down.

birthday present from a family friend

Poster of Sophia emerging from the barn. they had this as part of the set of Talking Dead last season and I wanted it from the first time I saw it
Dude. The avatar is a crazy spoiler. Even people who avoid this thread and anything else even remotely TWD-related are exposed to that. Not terribly cool IMO... I'd give it a second thought. ;)

I actually wasn't the biggest fan of Sophia coming out of the barn. I thought it was a little bit of a cop out that she was there all along. It's a twist, a shock, but I felt so much more could have been done. Maybe my memory is just fuzzy but I think I was let down.

Bah... I bite my thumb at you, sir.

Yeah, pretty much, Rev.

SPOILER ALERT>

I think the Gov was outted at a new level of psycho last night. References to Buffalo Bill aren't far off. I mean, tracking Andrea in his truck of doom and letting her get just enough away to feel like she might make it multiple times, like a crazy game of cat and mouse? I thought it was a good episode. Was I hoping for a classic death scene with her looking through that tiny window at his demise, sure, but I know there are two episodes left this season and that wasn't happening. And when she raised her hand toward Rick, only to be taken down by the guy, although corny, was certainly suspenseful.

I will say this. I want to see Michonne and Daryl team up on a hunting mission. An episode without either of them is definitely lacking.

This week and last week's episodes could have been combined to save time. I liked the tension of the cat and mouse game between the Gov and Andrea but it dragged on way too long in general. WTF? Does he have some sort of tracking device on her? How does he seem to magically come upon her time and time again? They did a good job redeeming her character with this episode although she manages to Britta her escape to the prison. LOL.

They did a good job portraying the Gov sliding off the brink of sanity. His ruthless pursuit of vengeance against Michonne and the horrific steps he's prepared to take.

I like what they're doing with Milton's character to create more uncertainty in the Woodburry camp. However, again, the set pieces with Cutty's group and the biter pit took too long and went nowhere. What the hell was that conversation about him saving someone and her falling in love with him? Who cares? Needless script fluffing creating zero tension.

I'm still very pleased with this season as a whole. I think the show runners have done an overall solid job with the plot points. I no longer find myself actively rooting against a main character like I have before.

Two episodes in a row where only a small number of characters are involved. WTF, did Rick and his crew have a long vacation planned when they were filming these episodes?

Not a fan of the second half of the season so far, but it's luckily airing at a time with not much else going on so people will continue to watch.

I'm outa this thread until it's just a proper nerd thread again and not just a venting ground for a bunch of lily-livered whinning waaah babies upset that the producers rejected their scripts. ;)

C'mon guys! It's just a TV show!

This episode redeemed Andrea for me and actually made me feel empathy, which is pretty huge considering how I thought of her even an episode ago.

And it showed us an interesting side to Milton and even Tyreese and his girl.

Was not a fan of the slasher film-antics though, and groaned big time when the Gov not only caught Andrea with only a split second to spare, but somehow she was totally incapable of just allowing herself to be noticed by fighting back even a little bit.

I haven't read the comics, but as I understand things, the show will be pretty much caught up to them by the end of this season. And that actually makes me very hopeful because it tells me that they might just be drawing this season out to get another year's worth of comic book material to work with to start off next season. Which has me thinking that once they're actually caught up and no longer have actual comics to work from, they'll settle into a pace more suitable for serial television.

Also, there are striking similarities for me between this show, and Lost. The whole ensemble cast in a (somewhat supernatural) survivor scenario immediately drew comparisons from me. But Lost also had a solid first season with a second and third season that dragged. In that case, it led to fans demanding an actual direction, and the two seasons following that included some of the best hours of TV fiction ever produced, bar none. I can only hope that means good things for the next few seasons to follow!

... and groaned big time when the Gov not only caught Andrea with only a split second to spare, but somehow she was totally incapable of just allowing herself to be noticed by fighting back even a little bit.

This. And even though they had meat hook zombie staged in the background like he could grab the Governor as he fought his way backwards, they still managed to telegraph his escape by having Andrea walk away without seeing him eaten.

This episode redeemed Andrea for me and actually made me feel empathy, which is pretty huge considering how I thought of her even an episode ago.

Was not a fan of the slasher film-antics though, and groaned big time when the Gov not only caught Andrea with only a split second to spare, but somehow she was totally incapable of just allowing herself to be noticed by fighting back even a little bit.

I haven't read the comics, but as I understand things, the show will be pretty much caught up to them by the end of this season. And that actually makes me very hopeful because it tells me that they might just be drawing this season out to get another year's worth of comic book material to work with to start off next season. Which has me thinking that once they're actually caught up and no longer have actual comics to work from, they'll settle into a pace more suitable for serial television.

Also, there are striking similarities for me between this show, and Lost. The whole ensemble cast in a (somewhat supernatural) survivor scenario immediately drew comparisons from me. But Lost also had a solid first season with a second and third season that dragged. In that case, it led to fans demanding an actual direction, and the two seasons following that included some of the best hours of TV fiction ever produced, bar none. I can only hope that means good things for the next few seasons to follow!

Hate yo burst your bubble, but this season will end where Omnibus 1 ends. There is an entire 2nd Omnibus and at least another year of comics.

Comics are way ahead. I won't spoil it but let's just say there are at least 3 or 4 more locations that could be played with. Comics are in a big location arc right now. That could be a 3 season set for the show.

As far as the episode goes, I thought it was OK, finally showed that tne governor is evil, not just power hungry. Liked what I assumed was a Kill Bill homage with him whistling in a terribly creepy manor.

I hope they end the governor arc this season though.

Comics are way ahead. I won't spoil it but let's just say there are at least 3 or 4 more locations that could be played with. Comics are in a big location arc right now. That could be a 3 season set for the show.

As far as the episode goes, I thought it was OK, finally showed that tne governor is evil, not just power hungry. Liked what I assumed was a Kill Bill homage with him whistling in a terribly creepy manor.

The governor is very evil. I wish they followed the comics, but I love the show too. I think the Walking Dead series is very good. Show and comics. I hope they end it too. He is important in the comics, but not that important. He is just a ******.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:

Cool story bro

Walking Dead has jumped the shark. If you want to be disturbed and shocked then read Crossed. But it's some disturbing stuff. Beware.

Funny you say that. When Rick saw his (dead) wife, it immediately made me think of the whole Jesus-guy thing in Oz (HBO prison show from a while back). And that is, unquestionably, when that show jumped the shark. So I've definitely had a lingering worry since then that the show may have prematurely killed itself.

I think it is pretty much the same as it has always been. It is driven by the characters and much more of a soap opera than most of us would like to admit. The writers seem to have learned a lesson from the second season, though, as they always have a gory zombie head crushing or two in every show now to appease those that watch only for that type of thing.

I liked the last show. Yes it was a cheesy and a bit predictable but it's a zombie show FFS, so cheesiness is forgiven. For those of us that didn't read the comics, it showed us what an evil bastard the Governor really is (the comic readers had said as much in previous posts).

I think it is pretty much the same as it has always been. It is driven by the characters and much more of a soap opera than most of us would like to admit. The writers seem to have learned a lesson from the second season, though, as they always have a gory zombie head crushing or two in every show now to appease those that watch only for that type of thing.

I think you hit the nail on the head. They've struck a balance this season between the soap opera and the zombie stuff. as the posts on here show, I was pretty annoyed all last season by the soap opera stuff the predominated most of last season.

Did I mention that I was so totally unmoved by Lori's death that I frightened myself. I was just glad to, hopefully, not have to see her on screen any longer.

Did I mention that I was so totally unmoved by Lori's death that I frightened myself. I was just glad to, hopefully, not have to see her on screen any longer.

I'm with you. It felt like for months they danced around delivering the baby and how to keep her safe. I really expected another Hershel saves the day. Then she was dead so fast and... that was it. Despite Rick's hallucinations it doesn't feel like it really made a difference to anyone.

While it sucks and it hit Rick and Carl the hardest, everyone there has lost people they cared about. I imagine there is quite a numbing effect after awhile int hat sort of situation. Isn't that what half the story is about though? Trying to maintain some semblance of humanity and decency in a world that has been ripped apart by tragedy? The soap opera stuff is probably quite realistic in that situation, so I don't mind it at all. Sure I love the action, but if it was all action, the story would also languish. I do agree that they are dragging out Woodbury, and could have condensed it and made it tense while throwing more "Clear" style stories into the mix. I would love to see more of the day to day, dealing with the zombie threat, situations.

Also, does anyone seem to notice that the zombies seem to be getting slower. Remember some of the season 1-2 scenes with the zombies literally RUNNING after them? Apparently they are lazy and out of shape without as much food to chase around.

Back