The Vancouver Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ended up hitting Luppolo, Callister, Powell and Strathcona on Saturday before doing a flight at Alibi. Walked about 5 miles round trip and totally avoided the rain.

Ended up hitting Luppolo, Callister, Powell and Strathcona on Saturday before doing a flight at Alibi. Walked about 5 miles round trip and totally avoided the rain.
We may have passed one another this weekend. If you saw someone in a Sharks beanie, that was probably me.

Ended up only going to 2 breweries, 33 Acres and Brassneck. I thought 33 Acres was much better than Brassneck. Liked their Hoppy beers, and their french Saison is excellent. Only really enjoyed the dry hopped sour blonde at Brassneck. Everything else was kind of meh.

I was able to get a couple of flights around the city as well; Alibi had a great selection, and food was good too. The brewery that I really want to check out on my next visit is Twin Sales. I had a single hop Simcoe and single hop Citra pale ale that were both phenomenal. Need to try more of their stuff.

Wallflower was a good breakfast spot, as was Jethro's Fine Grub. I wished I knew how gigantic the pancakes were there. You could easily feed a family of four with a single order. Cascade Room was a good place for cocktails and it helped it was right around the corner from our Air BnB.

Sharks lost in OT unfortunately, but we still had a great time at the game. I lost my voice for a bit from all the yelling I was doing.

All in all we had a great time in the city. Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

Well, I guess no one from here did make it up to Vancouver Farmhouse Fest, I must say it was pretty damn good. And never any lines and all beers were 1token.
The canadian crowd on TB is quite small ans scattered :( Though Im sure some people from here made it to the event. Happy to hear you had a blast!

How does Zwanze work in Vancouver? I'll be there in September and I'd love to get a taste, but I don't know if in Canada it's the same queueing/tickets etc circus as in the US.

How does Zwanze work in Vancouver? I'll be there in September and I'd love to get a taste, but I don't know if in Canada it's the same queueing/tickets etc circus as in the US.
Depends on the location. I don't think any canadian venue ever used tickets though TBH, I think most place are first come first serve.

Every year it's a little different. Last year was a free for all at Bells and Whistles in Vancouver, but in 2016 it was ticketed at The Drake over in Victoria.

Zwanze locations should be announced this week, hopefully it'll be easy to find a spot.

On a completely separate track., does anyone have a spare mountain bike in September in the vancouver /squamish area? I was looking at rentals but would be quite happy to bring some nice beers to swap for a couple of days on a bike ... I seen people trade beer for BMW's, this should be easy

Cheap but decent bike rental spots also appreciated.

Looks like Cantillon changed it up. It says The Drake now for Vancouver zwanze day.

Actually having just checked where it is on Google I don't think I can swing by Too far from the North shore.

Last edited:
Viti is pretty bad now. Brewery Creek is probably the best overall, but Denman Spirits and the Gull (North Van) are also excellent.

Advice needed...

Looking at spending a week in Vancouver in mid to late June. Me, non-beer drinking wife, 6 year old son. Looking for general advice on best neighborhoods for an Air BnB. Do we need a car or is it reasonable to think we can use train/bus/Uber to get us pretty much everywhere we want to go? Need access to touristy things and good restaurants.

Any and all advice appreciated. Have been reading back in this thread for recs on beer and food and it's been really helpful.

Advice needed...

Looking at spending a week in Vancouver in mid to late June. Me, non-beer drinking wife, 6 year old son. Looking for general advice on best neighborhoods for an Air BnB. Do we need a car or is it reasonable to think we can use train/bus/Uber to get us pretty much everywhere we want to go? Need access to touristy things and good restaurants.

Any and all advice appreciated. Have been reading back in this thread for recs on beer and food and it's been really helpful.
I stayed right around the corner from Brassneck, and it was extremely easy to get around using public transit. There's a bunch of food places there, and the giant science museum is close as well (I didn't go there on my trip, so no review unfortunately).

The people who owned the place I stayed at sold it, so unfortunately it's no longer on Air BnB :/

Advice needed...

Still no Uber in British Columbia, FYI. Cantillon is easier to get. ;-)

Downtown Vancouver (Gastown, Yaletown, Robson, etc.) is separated from the rest of the city by bridges but it's still walkable and accessible by bus and Skytrain. My wife and I normally stay downtown at one of the Fairmont hotels since she gets free nights from work travel and I still make it all over the city without driving and that's a good thing since we park our car at the hotel and don't use it until we drive back home to Seattle. There's a good concentration of breweries in East Vancouver, often referred to as "Yeastvan" which you can get to by walking past Gastown. Alibi Room is on the edge of Gastown, and is kid friendly with a killer taplist and great brunch menu. Most breweries if I remember right are kid friendly, most times our daughter stays with my parents so we have adult weekends but we've taken her with a few times and it's always been fine.

Rent bikes and go around Stanley Park with the kiddo, there's also a nice aquarium there.

Advice needed...

when I drive up from Portland, I find it's pretty easy to get around via bus and train as long as you're staying in the city proper and have the time for mass transit. I've stayed by the airport, downtown on Robson, and out east by the Metrotown area and had no problems doing whatever I wanted in the city. for family-friendly things, check out Granville Island Market, the museums at UBC, Van Dusen botanical garden, and get awesome asian baked goods at New Town Bakery. Capilano Suspension Bridge area north of the city is a cool and free alternative to Grouse Mountain for outdoorsy fun but you'll need a car.

when I drive up from Portland, I find it's pretty easy to get around via bus and train as long as you're staying in the city proper and have the time for mass transit. I've stayed by the airport, downtown on Robson, and out east by the Metrotown area and had no problems doing whatever I wanted in the city. for family-friendly things, check out Granville Island Market, the museums at UBC, Van Dusen botanical garden, and get awesome asian baked goods at New Town Bakery. Capilano Suspension Bridge area north of the city is a cool and free alternative to Grouse Mountain for outdoorsy fun but you'll need a car.
And the Acquarium in Stanley park.

anyone know of any good dispensary's still open? we were gonna go with a delivery service but we're not sure we'll have time. we get into the hotel in Richmond too late and only have that hotel for the night before we stock up on beer/bud and head up to Whistler the next day. any help is really appreciated!

Back