The tip of my tallest shoot broke off, now what?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I have 2 x 4-year old plants going right now, one a cascade and one a chinook. I prepped the soil and built a new trellis and the plants have both come in stronger than ever this year. I have about 8-10 strong bines coming off each plant, each separated into 2 strings going about 18-20 feet tall with 4-5 bines wrapped around each one. My tallest bine on my cascade plant, possibly one of those "bull shoots" because it took off earliest even after cutting back the initial growth, reached about 12-15 feet the other day. I noticed the tip was starting to curl downwards instead of straight up 2 days ago and became worried. Today I walked outside and found that the top 2-3 inches of the bine had actually now fallen off as if it were snipped. It is not possible that any person snipped the top off at 12-15 feet so I'm sort of lost on how this could have happened, maybe a bird? Anyways, I checked to see if our landscapers had accidentally cut the plant at the root but it seems that is not the case and that the plant is still intact except for that top 3 inches. I have 4 more bines crawling up that string which goes up another maybe 5 feet from where this bine got cut. My question is, how will this effect not only the plant but the entire strings worth of bines? Should I find a way to cut this tallest and thicket bine out? let it keep going and hope for the best? I was just honestly really bummed to see that what is probably my tallest and thickest bine now missing its head. Any and all insight would be much appreciated!!

It doesn't matter. The cut bine should start growing two longer sidearms. You can cut one and let the other take over. You also have 4 other bines. Don't mess with it besides for checking the plant for insects.

So I have 2 x 4-year old plants going right now, one a cascade and one a chinook. I prepped the soil and built a new trellis and the plants have both come in stronger than ever this year. I have about 8-10 strong bines coming off each plant, each separated into 2 strings going about 18-20 feet tall with 4-5 bines wrapped around each one. My tallest bine on my cascade plant, possibly one of those "bull shoots" because it took off earliest even after cutting back the initial growth, reached about 12-15 feet the other day. I noticed the tip was starting to curl downwards instead of straight up 2 days ago and became worried. Today I walked outside and found that the top 2-3 inches of the bine had actually now fallen off as if it were snipped. It is not possible that any person snipped the top off at 12-15 feet so I'm sort of lost on how this could have happened, maybe a bird? Anyways, I checked to see if our landscapers had accidentally cut the plant at the root but it seems that is not the case and that the plant is still intact except for that top 3 inches. I have 4 more bines crawling up that string which goes up another maybe 5 feet from where this bine got cut. My question is, how will this effect not only the plant but the entire strings worth of bines? Should I find a way to cut this tallest and thicket bine out? let it keep going and hope for the best? I was just honestly really bummed to see that what is probably my tallest and thickest bine now missing its head. Any and all insight would be much appreciated!!

Yeah, your question was recently asked: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=628847 Sometimes pictures help.

Back