the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitt100

Reaction score
My question is: Does a 6.5 gal glass carboy leave too much headspace as the secondary fermentor for a 5 gallon batch when racking to it after a week or so? Is this too much oxygen to potentially leave the beer exposed to? Reason is- it is all I have to use as a secondary right now or should I just leave everything in the primary for another 7 to 10 days and bottle it then? Thanks,
Pitt

I have a 6.5 that I use as a secondary. I've had beer in there for 4 weeks to no ill effect. My bubbler always had pressure coming out of the carboy so I think the oxygen levels were pretty low in there. Not sure scientifically if this is okay but my experiece showed me it was not a problem

It's been discussed here before and no one has really had any ill effects caused by the headspace in a 6.5 gallon carboy. The thought was that there is still some residual fermentation going on that would "push" the oxygen out. I get some bubbling in my airlock after I rack to the secondary and this is probably what is going on.

loop

Thanks guys,
I'm working on my first batch and it just came up about the headspace after the fact! If I would have realized it I would have got the 5 gal carboy and saved myself from worrying to death! Will let you know how it turns out.
Pitt

Most of us opted for the 6.5 over the 5 so we could either use it for a primary or a secondary. So, you made a good choice in the 6.5.

Back