The Rootbeer Porter idea again . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have decided to take a look at this again. What I am planning on doing is making a good basic porter and instead of using hops I am planning on using root beer extract to balance out the malt. I guess I got the idea after reading the article in BYO on gruit beer (Jan/Feb BYO page 20 - 23) and thinking WTF would I want lavender or rosemary in my beer.

In the article they suggest using a ale somewhere inbetween a porter and a stout but then also recomend a german or english wheat beer yeast. My plan is to try and stick to a porter/stout base but then use 5 gallons worth of rootbeer extract instead of hops.

Is there anyproblem with using something like rootbeer extract? Do I need to worry about infection? Do I add the extract at the same time I would have added the hops, add it like I was dry hopping, OR do I add it just befor I bottle?

Any ideas suggestions or concerns will be appriceated (not neccessaryly followed though)

Dandelion and Burdock is the UK version of 'Root beer' i reckon - you are fairly strange Pumbaa, I like that - but i offer no advice other than 'English wheat beer yeast' must be a misprint (we don't have wheat beers here) AND keep your 'hammer' from stiring the wort (unless it's a belgian)..... ;)

Use a pound or more of caramel for the base sweetness.
Add the rootbeer extract to the primary.
Use about 1/2 the bittering hops you would normally and no flavor/aroma hops.

Here is what I can up with and will be brewing it up soon as my ribs heal up enuff to be able to lift the kettle. The SRM from promash is low but the rootbeer extract is dark as hell so it will be adding alot of color

Rootbeer Porter
A ProMash Recipe Report
BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

12-B Porter, Robust Porter

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 60
Min Clr: 22 Max Clr: 42 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.00
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.72
Anticipated SRM: 20.6
Anticipated IBU: 14.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG 13.47 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
69.6 9.75 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 73.35 2
14.3 2.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 69.19 60
7.1 1.00 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 73.35 25
7.1 1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 77.50 2
1.8 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 58.81 350

Potential represented as Yield, Coarse Grind As Is.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Brewer's Gold Pellet 7.00 14.9 30 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.00 Oz Rootbeer extract Other 0 Days(fermenter)

Yeast
-----
Wyeast British Ale 1098

Chairman Cheyco said:
Does the new Pope like root beer too?

:p

I gave up the Pope thing, decided I dont wanna hang out with a bunch of people who drink wine in church. Besides I couldnt find any hot nuns.

I decided I'm going to start my own church based around homebrew:mug: and strippers :ban: . . . dont tell SWMBO

If you're planning to add the extract before fermenting, I suggest paying attention to the ingredients in the extract. I've found most of them contain preservatives (sodium benzoate) and inhibit fermentation.

UPDATE

Just racked it to the secondary. It's a bit thinner then I would like but I let my brother-in-law help sparge it and he sparged it faster then I would have, so I think that is the reason why. Aroma wise if you like rootbeer you'll love the smell of this thing. It smells just like, well . . . rootbeer. It has a pleasent spicy, anise, sasparilla smell that was driving me wild durring the fermentation. As for taste it tastes pretty good . . well for being flatter then a 6 year old girl. (the dog LOVES it but the dog seems very anti hops) The malt and mix of Brewers Gold and rootbeer extract balance out very nicely. Not overly malty, just a hint of hops and a good rootbeer flavor thats anything but overpowering.

I guess I'll let it sit in the secondary for a while then prime and bottle. After this batch I will be offically out of bottles and in a jam until I have the party and get some of my current stock "disposed of". I dont think this one will need much aging and should be ready for the party, even if it will be a touch green. Next time around I think I am going to add about a pound of carapils and maybe a pond or so of honey just to ramp it up a bit. So far all I can say is at this stage it's looking REALLY good.

Should be ready to drink about now right?

Let me know how it turned out, I'm looking to brew something differant myself, and I think a rootBEER would be great.

Probably should be but It's still sitting in my Secondary . . . yeah things have been insane busy lately, but the good news is I plan on bottling it Monday so I'll let ya know in a couple weeks

OK . . . so I finally got the stuff carbonated and tried one . . .

I have to say it's pretty good but still needs a bit of work. Flavor is spot on, nice and rootbeery BUT it needs a bit of work on body and mouth feel (I want to make it a bit creamier). I also want to increase the maltiness/sweetness a bit but other then that I am VERY happy with it.

This will be in my main rotation for brewing

Add some dextrose next brew for sweetness and carpils for some body. You can also boil some root beer flavoring additions such as wintergreen, star anise, etc...

Latest posts

Back