The Rare Beer Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABSTRACTlegend

Reaction score
rare-beer-club-logo-575.png

I know most of you on this site probably laugh at this club or think it's not worth the money for the shitty beers you get. But I was gifted a 3 month subscription to this and was wondering if anybody else on this site was apart of it. Apparently they are releasing a few beers strictly only to members of this club this year.

el_monstruo_lupulo_psp.jpg

This is one of them that will be released in July. Cigar City's new Rare Beer Club-exclusive IIPA, El Monstruo Lúpulo. This hefty, highly focused beer has been aged on both Spanish cedar and spruce, the result going way beyond the imperialized version of the cedar-aged Jai Alai we first imagined, but still revolving expertly around the careful marriage of wood and hops.

The-Bruery-Smokey-and-The-Bois.jpg

I also saw this one but don't know if it's been released or when it's going to be released. Sounds pretty good though. What do you guys think

I signed up for the club when Shelton Bros wasn't distributing to Washington. I have taken exactly two shipments. Now that Shelton is back, it is unlikely that I'll take another shipment, but I keep the membership active just in case.

Signed up for the same reason, no Shelton distro in the state and I wanted a plethora of arctic saison. Got four bottles, since then I've been happily clicking "skip shipment this month" for the last year. Hoping something else good will come up eventually because you can apparently cancel after two shipments. Can't wait for that day, the emails every month with sub par double ipas are starting to get annoying.

Signed up for the same reason, no Shelton distro in the state and I wanted a plethora of arctic saison. Got four bottles, since then I've been happily clicking "skip shipment this month" for the last year. Hoping something else good will come up eventually because you can apparently cancel after two shipments. Can't wait for that day, the emails every month with sub par double ipas are starting to get annoying.
But they married hops and wood!

I got it as a gift for Xmas 2012. Nothing amazing, but the highlights were Prairie Noir (old 750ml format), Logsdon Seizoen Bretta, and Mariage Parfait. The rest were decent but forgettable imports and American stuff.

They seem to have a lot of crap in there and then attempt to label it as "rare" to get people to jump on board but there's usually some good ones to be had every once in a while. Since it was a gift, might as well just take the deliveries that look good to you and crack all the bottles with some friends and taste some new stuff.

It reeks of try-hard, "look how gud i rite" pretension. I bet whoever wrote "Revolving expertly around the careful marriage of wood and hops" re-read that and approvingly tipped their fedora.

It sounds like typical beverage ad copy to me. Which I suppose is technically pretentious, but that phrase seems so innocuous to me that I could never get put off by it.

Back