The Primer, as applied to my water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broham1

Reaction score
So, my goal is to get to the baseline listed in the primer. Below are my recent numbers from our water dept. what do I need to do to just reach the baseline? Will one of those DIY cartridge filter setups work? Do I need to cut with RO?

Sodium 10 6.5
Calcium 12 30
Magnesium 6.8 9.8
Potassium 2.5 3
Carbonate no tests
Bicarbonate no tests
Chloride 2.6 5.3
Iron 0 0
Sulfate 1.8 8.4
Nitrate 0 3.2
Electrical conductivity 160 250
Estimated total dissolved solids 130 200
pH 7.8 7.9
Total hardness 57 120
Total alkalinity 70 98
Total phosphorous no tests

Those are almost inconsequential changes in water quality. In addition, since they provided you with alkalinity readings, you can easily calculate what the bicarbonate content is.

That is an excellent source water and there is NO reason to use any RO dilution. You may need to supply some acid, but that will be a very minor addition. You will have to concern yourself with adding alkalinity for some brews with more acidic grists. I highly recommend lime...chalk does not work at all. Don't listen to anyone saying that chalk is useful. Even Kai's data proves that it is useless when added to the mash.

While the Primer should be quite useful for getting a handle on mineral additions for this water, I suggest visiting the Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website for more complete guidance.

To get this water to fit the Primer specs you'd need to cut it 1:2::tap:RO in the summer and 1:3 in the winter. Obviously, doing 1:3 or even 1:4 is adequate for the either season and then you don't have to worry about the variations in alkalinity or hardness as you have damped them down 20% of what they are in the original water (with the 1:4 dilution). But if you are cutting this much then why not use straight RO? That totally divorces you from concerns about the variations or indeed the mineral content of the incoming water. That's what the Primer is designed to do. This is not to say that you shouldn't be concerned about such things but that can come later. The Primer is supposed to get you started but it is not a universal nostrum.

As to the calcium supplementation: the Primer includes recommendations for the addition of calcium salts.

Thank you, quite belatedly, for the responses. I'm going to try all of this on my next brew in a couple weeks.

So, ajdelange, if I understand correctly, if I go straight RO water, then I add 1tsp Calcium Chloride per 5 gallons and enough sauermalz (does this need to be milled) to comprise 2% of total grain weight, then I'll have what you call the Baseline. Correct?

ajdelange said:
Yes, and yes, it does need to be milled.

Thanks. I was hoping unmilled so I could keep a supply on hand. Don't have a mill just yet. No worries, though.

Back