The poor mans kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrockSamson1

Reaction score
So iv been researching the cheapest way to diy a kegerator and i found a guide to turn a 4.5 cu ft GE fridge into said kegerator. Unfortunatly the exact model used in the guide (here... http://www.instructables.com/id/Kegerator-GE-WMR04GAVBB-45-cu-ft-compact-fridg/) Is no longer available. there is however, a slightly newer model that seems exactly the same however 1 letter int he model number is different and i guess its the updated model of the old fridge. since i know there are potential issues with the freezer and what not I'm a little afraid of buying it and having some minor issue that derails the entire project. Wondering if just by looking or if people know someone who has done the project using the newer GE#WMR04GAZBB

Seems like a stupid question i guess but I'm paranoid. If this model works I'm fairly sure its currently the cheapest fridge (to buy new) to diy a kegerator.

pics of the new fridge
http://www.bestcovery.com/general-electric-wmr04gazbb-ge-45-cu-ft-compact-refrigerator

I'd think the poor man's kegerator was one given to you for free by generous friends. Of which I have two. I'd go that route. It's much easier to justify beer gas and stout faucets and secondary regulators when everything else was free. Plus you don't have to cut these up. And they hold your hops horde. I've managed to get 20gal going at the same time too.

IMAG0031.jpg

A setup like that would be sick but unfortunately I'm a bit limited on space and i have an idea to integrate the mini fridge kegerator into a bar I'm building so a full size fridge is probably out of the question, I combed craigs list but most mini fridges that are 4.5 cu ft are like 80-100 bucks and hard to find. At that point its just another 20 bucks or so to get a new one anyways so I am gravitating towards buying new. As for friends, I'm a transplant to the bay area and although I wouldn't say I have no friends I dont have any friends who brew/own fridges within a thousands miles. Thanks for taking the time to answer the post tho. Cheers.

Swmbo bought the ge that you said was no longer available at walmart a few months ago. If the new one is anything like the old one the conversion is real simple just take your time bending the freezer line down out of the way. If the wire for the thermostat still runs across the top mark your holes for the tower then carefully drill a pilot hole and poke around for it. Other then that the fridge has been awesome.

I got my mini-fridge from Craigslist for $35, much cheaper than buying new if you're willing to shop around. At that price, if I ruined it by cutting in the wrong place, I could afford to buy another one. Maybe you aren't in an area where there is an abundant supply of used fridges but its an option if you are.

Back