The Paper Airplane thread (and other folded amusements)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
It was only a matter of time before things like military drones made it to paper airplanes.
Here is a cool drone-like paper airplane. Now, just how to outfit it with Hellfire Missiles?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-AZOcCdmEo4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The F-22 Raptor looked really cool. I haven't done the C-130 Geek Duster since High School...or the snot rockets.

I often times feel very artistic and creative. So I set to work, cutting, shredding, mixing, folding and wrapping! Then when everything is perfect, every fold is proper and every seam is tight, I burn my masterpiece and cough......

I can still make a paper airplane similar to the first one, but without the bits hanging down. It can usually keep itself right side up and do loops and things depending on how much the back flap(s) are bent. I think I learned how to fold it in grade school.

I'm going to have to do the C-130 Geek Duster again. Load the front with shavings from the pencil sharpener & launch at unsuspecting prey. They get dusted good & proper. Any girls in the drop zone will be pissed.

.... from that link ...
"Drone technology with a personal touch
PowerUp 3.0 turns your very own paper airplane into a smartphone-controlled flying machine
"

If one was going to update the old "plastic soldiers" game/toy (or GI Joe for that matter) and bring it into the modern age, you'd need toy remote drones like this for modern-combat realism.
I dunno ... maybe a little, toy satellite flying around tacked up on the ceiling fan?
Some cheap laser pointers as laser painters?
Blue capped peace-keepers, modern refugee tents and toy porta-johns?

Last edited by a moderator:
The video was cool! I'm imagining a few hundred dropped from the Empire State Building. They'd be all over manhattan.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415662219.597794.jpg

Other amusements? Origami flowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Another one in the "other folded amusements" category ...

When I was a kid there was a Department Store in Detroit called Hudson's.
Besides Hudson's having a wonderful toy department which took up an entire floor (ahem, as a 4 year old you did not want to get lost at Hudson's ... traumatic, I digress), they also did other very old fashioned things ... gloved elevator operators and other specialized staff ... for example gift wrappers.

Back in the day, the gift wrappers would wrap gifts without tape, and while I was just a bit too young to remember how they did it, I do remember the wrapped packages being very ornate, and all the adults were always carrying-on about how well done it was and how the Gift Wrapper would fold all the exposed edges over so one would not get a paper cut (apparently quite tragic to women from The Great Generation), and how beautiful the packages were.

Did you ever have older relatives, Grandparents, Great Aunts etc who were compulsive wrapping savers and who closely supervised your gift-opening as a child so you would not just rip all the wrapping paper to shreds?
I mean, what if there was another Great Depression? ... what if wrapping paper was suddenly no longer available? ... what if the family had to choose between wrapping paper and food? ... more vestiges of that era ... I digress (again).

Anyhow ... so I always wondered what were the older methods of wrapping gifts.

Here are three videos from youtube that show how to wrap gifts in this old fashioned way.

Timely with the holidays coming up.

Not exactly rocket-science ... but still interesting ...

Wrapping with neither tape nor ribbon ...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmnGO1chfGM[/ame]

Wrapping without tape ...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWMUsADKFM[/ame]

And a wrapping video that, though it does use tape, is just an unusual, elaborate wrapping ...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1hPI8WvySo[/ame]

I know ... all pretty sedate stuff. I think the early, non-stop Christmas music on the local radio station is affecting my mind. I'm gripped by nostalgia every year. Just a bit too long on the Norman Rockwell side of things ... I think it's part of being a boomer. It's not even Thanksgiving and already it's time for a couple stiff holiday belts to clear my head. <sigh>

Another one in the "other folded amusements" category ...

When I was a kid there was a Department Store in Detroit called Hudson's.
Besides Hudson's having a wonderful toy department which took up an entire floor (ahem, as a 4 year old you did not want to get lost at Hudson's ... traumatic, I digress), they also did other very old fashioned things ... gloved elevator operators and other specialized staff ... for example gift wrappers.

Back in the day, the gift wrappers would wrap gifts without tape, and while I was just a bit too young to remember how they did it, I do remember the wrapped packages being very ornate, and all the adults were always carrying-on about how well done it was and how the Gift Wrapper would fold all the exposed edges over so one would not get a paper cut (apparently quite tragic to women from The Great Generation), and how beautiful the packages were.

Did you ever have older relatives, Grandparents, Great Aunts etc who were compulsive wrapping savers and who closely supervised your gift-opening as a child so you would not just rip all the wrapping paper to shreds?
I mean, what if there was another Great Depression? ... what if wrapping paper was suddenly no longer available? ... what if the family had to choose between wrapping paper and food? ... more vestiges of that era ... I digress (again).

Anyhow ... so I always wondered what were the older methods of wrapping gifts.

Here are three videos from youtube that show how to wrap gifts in this old fashioned way.

Timely with the holidays coming up.

Not exactly rocket-science ... but still interesting ...

I know ... all pretty sedate stuff. I think the early, non-stop Christmas music on the local radio station is affecting my mind. I'm gripped by nostalgia every year. Just a bit too long on the Norman Rockwell side of things ... I think it's part of being a boomer. It's not even Thanksgiving and already it's time for a couple stiff holiday belts to clear my head. <sigh>

Sweet. I am totally doing this this holiday and I am SURE my kids will want to as well. And I won't have to search the house for a roll of scotch tape!

Back