The Official 2007 GABF Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just printed out a map of the floor, list of breweries, high-ligted the ones I must hit on the map...an I a nerd? Will I be made fun of if I bring a notebook? Do I care?

I feel like it is Christmas morning, or at least what I imagine x-mas morning must be like (I am a jew)..

Man...i have been gone frome here for WAY TO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! over a year...anyways...i am going to saturday afternoon session...anyone else?? happy mug your going yes?? anyone else...should we make a plan to meet bofore the fest and run it together???

sitting in sky harbor waiting to board. I just paid 4.50 for a MGD bottle.

someone should do time for charging that much. but then again, Im about ready to go get another

StoutMeister said:
Man...i have been gone frome here for WAY TO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! over a year...anyways...i am going to saturday afternoon session...anyone else?? happy mug your going yes?? anyone else...should we make a plan to meet bofore the fest and run it together???

Send a PM to dblvsn with your cell #, etc

My girlfriend and I will be driving up to Englewood tomorrow afternoon and checking in to the Days Inn Denver Tech Center then taking the light rail to Denver, meeting up with the Alstrom Bros at the Wynkoop Brewing CO then Falling rock.

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/14393

We will probably head into the convention center around 6 on Fri.

I will be at the AHA members session on Sat till 5:30.

Then back home to bottle my American Pale Ale!

AndrewKemendo said:
My girlfriend and I will be driving up to Englewood tomorrow afternoon and checking in to the Days Inn Denver Tech Center then taking the light rail to Denver, meeting up with the Alstrom Bros at the Wynkoop Brewing CO then Falling rock.

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/14393

We will probably head into the convention center around 6 on Fri.

I will be at the AHA members session on Sat till 5:30.

Then back home to bottle my American Pale Ale!

Wynkoop's chili beer is among the finest examples of that style. Not hot, just good roasted chili flava.

Had a great first night at GABF. Here's us enjoying some PBR :D
DSC00301.JPG

Best beers of the night if you are going:

Sam Adams: Utopia
Brugge Brasserie : Belgian Quad aged in white wine barrels and Ripple Tripple
Port Brewing: Cuvee de Tombe
Twisted Pine: Bourbon Barrel Aged Red
Oskar Blues: Oak Aged Gordon
Firestone Walker: All of their beers

thats all I can think of off the top of my head, there were a ton of wood aged beers, sour beers, saison/farmhouse ales, and fruit beers. These styles seem to be popular now.

I wish I had a ticket for tonight. Last was a bit of a clusterf*ck, lots of really really drunk people, people puking and passed out. I think this thing is way too big, too many beers, it was insane...my palatte was burnt about an hour in, I didn't get to try all the beers I wanted, and was way overwhelmed....would I do it again...in a heartbeat.

yes it if a cluster f^&K on the night sessions..thats why i go to the sat. afternoon sessions...not as croweded..and not as many pukeing pass out ppl...most of the power drinkers are still passed otu so saturday is IMO the best one to go to... that being said...anyof them are a truly amazing time...and you never get to try all the ones you want...last year...i got lucky had 6-7 samples of utopias....man it was great...but you never get tit all if you went to all sessions ytou still couldnt get em all....but...i will be there on sat. anyone else...care to meet up and run it together???

dscn0539zz2.jpg

The Fun Crew (designated drivers)

dscn0540qd1.jpg

Myself and Charlie Papazian

dscn0541yu1.jpg

Myself and Jim Koch getting distracted as someone pushes my Girlfriend

I was rather surprised at how many non-beer related (Brewers/Industry) people were at this event. I heard a lot of "man lets get drunk" or "I don't care how its made" types of comments throughout the Friday session, not as much during today's members session.

Was it just me or were there a lot of farty people there? - I probably walked through a dozen or more fart clouds throughout each day. The yelling when someone dropped a glass was always good for a chuckle.

I think in future years I will stick with the Members only session.

You all suck :p. I just got an IM from a friend who said Thunder Canyon Brewery (Tucson) won a bronze for their doble diablo and gold for their roadrunner red lager. I need confirmation because he also mentioned something about boobs, steak, some chick named Amanda and 72 virgins...

PS - ollllo, that'd be Josh if you remember and/or see him.

but as usual it was a great time and really enjoyed myself....just got a bit tippsy at the end:tank: ....thats the danger of going solo...:tank: no one to talk to so you end up doing more sampleing then planed..lol anyways i think i met a cpl of the guys but i lost them about 5min after i met them...oh well next yr....im thinking all session pass....and make a week of it!!

:mug:

It's 10:30. I don't have to be at the airport until 4PM.
It's raining off and on. I have to check out by noon.
I left some of my clothes at another hotel.
All the Brewerys are closed today.

To my dismay, I found out that no one can sell anything alcoholic (pakage goods) to go that's above 3.2.

Plan B is to hunker down in a bar and drink to the NFL.

Anyone have a plan A idea?

AndrewKemendo said:
Was it just me or were there a lot of farty people there? - I probably walked through a dozen or more fart clouds throughout each day. The yelling when someone dropped a glass was always good for a chuckle.

No freaking kidding, at one point I went to get the aroma of a beer and smiled, turned to the girl I was with and said, "this beer has the aroma of farts, we need to move away from here"...happened multiple times. The yelling when people dropped their glass was funny, but the yelling was also happening every time the Rockies scored, way to go Old Chicago and AB for having televisions showing the game!

Finally just arrived back in Iowa. That was the most fun I'd had in a long time. Had a chance to meet up with several HBT members during the event and will get some more pictures posted as soon as I can find which bag I stuck my camera in. I do believe that I'm gonna return next year. For those of you that missed out :cross: wish you could have been there with us! Hope to see you next year!:mug:

sorry DBV....I posted on another post. I did get you message today, but never got a call. I was in the Houston airport checking my 3 messages, 2 from SWMOM, and 1 from you. I will follo9w up with you an a bit.

Here it is....
Beermaker said:
I just got home, and I am now booked for the next.........ever! I had a ball, and I cannot wait to go back. Already planning next years vacation. Met a lot of people, sadly, I missed a call from some of the guys here. Al I got today was a message. My phone never rang, and there was not a call record, but still a message from DBLVSION. I am sorry I missed you guys there, I was hoping to catch up with you. Damn AT&T.........Hope you guys had as much fun as we did, we were media, recording for a podcast. Met alot of people and drank a lot of beer. My BIGGEST surprise of the whole weekend? Anheiser has a new Belgian White coming out called Shock Top. 1st I heard of it, but it was gggrreat!. Try it. Oh yea, Old Mil Best light won gold for light beer, and Pabst Blue Ribbon won a silver for American Pils....WTF?

Mount Beermore:
1573559025_0fa9c220fa.jpg

Mrs Hemi, Hemi, and Brewtopia:
1573559545_e68196a623.jpg

Menu at the Buckhorn Exchange:
I had the Yak, Quail, Ostritch combo.
1574448306_5c0edcbb91.jpg

Mrs Brewtopia, Brewtopia, Mrs and MR Get your Brew On and olllllo at the Buckhorn exchange.
1573561349_507e16c69a.jpg

Good times for sure! Next year I think I'm going to keep my GABF sampling and BrewPub visiting days separate as 13 hours of drinking is just way to much :drunk:. Was great to meet olllllo, Brewtopia and dblvsn. Love to be able to sample your brews sometime!

My podcast crew and Adam Avery drinking my award...Avery Fourteen...

100_0836 (600 x 450).jpg

Me, Jamil, Jon Palmer and Charlie...

100_0828 (600 x 450).jpg

The man himself....

Attachments

• 100_0821 (600 x 450).jpg
    100_0821 (600 x 450).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 139
wow I had a great time.

Didnt stick to our original agenda at all, but still had a blast. The GABF on Thurs. was cool. I got to sit down and talk with a bunch of great brewers. Lots of really good beers, lots of really horrible beers too. I'll most likely be back next year.

Hiked up around the foothills and did alot of trout fishing. And spent the rest of the afternoons doing reconnaissance for the wife, looking at houses, neighborhoods, school districts etc etc.

I was staying at my buddies house who was nice enough to pick up a keg of Fat Tire for us. Now this wasnt the same Fat Tire we get down here. No, this was a very fresh, very good keg of beer. I couldn't get enough of the stuff. By the time we get our Fat Tire its been sitting in some warehouse in the AZ heat for a couple weeks. This was fresh out of the brewery. mmm mmm mmmmmmm

Sorry olllllo and the guys for not being able to make it over to have a pint with you. It was go go go all weekend and we were out in Littleton so we kind of stayed local and kept the driving to a minimum

Just got home about a half hour ago. Had an awesome time! It was great to hook up with olllllo, dblvsn, Pirate Ale, drost, Hemi and Stoutmeister. I've got plenty of pictures that I'll be sure and post soon.

Special thanks to olllllo for providing us with some great suggestions for the drive out. Canyon de Chelly in Northern AZ was spectacular, and the beers in Durango were great.

Chimone said:
Sorry olllllo and the guys for not being able to make it over to have a pint with you. It was go go go all weekend and we were out in Littleton so we kind of stayed local and kept the driving to a minimum

I had no idea that you were staying way out in Littleton the whole time, so that's understandable.

I volunteered at the festival.

It was an amazing time. This was the first year I volunteered and it was totally worth it. I poured Friday night and Saturday afternoon. We went for free on Saturday night. I'm so glad we were there the night before and the Saturday afternoon session. Saturday night was a cluster**** and a lot of stuff was out. (It was funny to notice the age/attitude differences between the two nights...and I'm the the Saturday night age group) But, we got to taste pretty much everything that we had missed in the previous sessions. The whole volunteering thing allowed us to get a lot more in and enjoy the beers much more than trying to taste everything in 4 hours. It's a great deal for all of you guys who don't wanna spend the dough on tickets. You get to sample just as much when you are "working" as when you're there on your own! Plus, you get much more opportunity to BS with the brewers.

Back