The Nut House Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharaoh Bob

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a nut brown ale next and I wanted some input on my recipe. I'm shooting for a malty American brown with not too much crystal malt and more of those toasty nutty biscuity flavors.

Batch size: 5 gal
OG: 1.052
IBU: 24.7

Grains:
8 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Victory
0.5 lb crystal 60L
0.5 lb pale chocolate

Hops:
1oz Willamette 60min
1oz Willamette 15min

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056

Mash 154°F
Ferment 64°F

Looks good to me. I just made a honey nut brown earlier today. I just used NB's Nut Brown ale extract kit and added a pound of honey at flameout and 8 oz. of light brown sugar with 15 minutes left. I dissolved the brown sugar into some of the wort first in a mixing bowl to avoid possible scorching. I ended with 1.058 and am using WYeast 1098. Sample was real sweet, so I wonder if I should have added another 1/4 oz. of hops when I added the sugar. Oh well - hopefully it turns out good. NB email support said it should be fine, so we'll find out around March Madness.

Yea I mean the yeast will eat all of those simple sugars so the finished beer shouldn't be any sweeter then it would have been without them.

Brown malt is another option. Maybe instead of chocolate. I've never tried it in a nut brown, just a thought.

Here's BSG's description:

William Crisp Brown Malt is roasted specialty malt. It has a strong, dark-toasted grain flavor, slightly nutty with a hint of bitter chocolate. Brown malt imparts dark amber to light brown hues. It is used in many older English ale styles, and is an essential ingredient for traditional porters.

Looks pretty good to me. My favorite nut brown uses Marris, crystal and chocolate with goldlings and cascade hops. They don't state the amounts or hop schedule but I'm guessing your grain bill is pretty close.

Back