The n00b thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
All right, let's see your first post, or early posts you're particularly fond, proud, or even ashamed of!

Here's how:

1. Search -> Advanced Search.
2. Put your user name in "Search by User Name".
3. In the bottom left, "Show results as" Posts, and search "Last Posting Date", and "In Ascending Order".
4. Click "Search Now".
5. Go to the post and click "Quote", and copy the BBCode.
6. Come back here and paste it.

Here's mine, close to a year and a half ago:

Two weeks ago I started my first ever batch of homebrew beer. I used a 5-gallon aluminum brewkettle and a 5-gallon water jug from Big Lots for fermentation, drilling a hole in the cap and sticking the airlock through for a snug fit.

I used 6 pounds of Briess Golden Light dry malt extract, 1 oz Palisade pellet hops for bittering and 1 oz whole Pacific Hallertau hops for finishing, 15 minutes before chilling the wort.

I used an American Ale yeast that I prepped with 1tbs of the malt after 15 minutes of hydration, and I pitched the yeast after adding the chilled wort to about a gallon of water in the fermenter.

At first I was concerned because the wort didn't appear to do anything so I went to bed, but after about two and a half hours my whole apartment had an extremely sharp malt smell in the air (making it difficult to sleep), and when I checked on it in the morning there was a nice frothy head to the wort and some active bubbling, plus a real yeasty/hoppy smell in the guest bathroom where I'm doing the fermentation.

I used no-rinse cleansers and sanitizers from the homebrew supply store and I heat-sterilized all glass bowls for yeast prep at 340F for an hour. I tried to keep everything as sterile as possible.

However, while chilling the wort I accidentally splashed some sink water into the pot, so I am a bit worried about contamination. Another issue was the wort preparation ended up making a lot less liquid than I originally anticipated, only about 3 gallons, and I am a tad worried about oxygen exposure since I left the prepped yeast in an open bowl for over an hour.

Last night I completed the rack to secondary after one week primary fermentation. I bought a 5gal glass carboy as was suggested and used the no-rinse sanitizer again. There was a bit of foam left over after pouring out the sanitizer even though I gave it over an hour to dry, so I used some preboiled water and tried to rinse it out anyway. Even so there was some foam left but I decided to start the rack anyway; I just hope the yeast are OK.

During the rack there was a wonderful beer aroma; I was tempted to taste the beer but I decided not to jinx it. It took me a few tries to get the siphon going and I used preboiled, chilled water for the starter, but I may have touched the preboiled water with my skin while fumbling with the siphon hose.

After racking I topped off with the remaining preboiled water to get my volume up, then I did the dry hop with one ounce of whole glacier hops. It was a tad messy getting the hops into the carboy so I ended up pushing them in by hand. I've read that the yeast are healthy enough at this point and whole hops are sufficiently hardy that there's little risk of contamination now but I'm still a bit tentative. I'm also a bit concerned that I won't get maximum hop exposure because some of the leaves are just floating dry on top of the beer.

To clean up, I washed out the primary with preboiled water and filled four sanitized mason jars with the flocculated yeast, which I should be able to use as a starter for future batches. I then scrubbed out the primary with a wire brush and used a mild bleach solution with hot water which I will leave overnight to sanitize it. I have a 6.5gal glass carboy for future primaries so I will probably retire the 5gal plastic bottle. I'm soaking all other unused tools in no-rinse cleanser to try and remove residue.

I covered the secondary with a towel to prevent light exposure and I will make it a point to stay out of the guest bathroom for the next two weeks. I will use 3/4c corn sugar for conditioning and I have oxygen-blocking bottle caps and two cases of 22-oz brown bottles.

Then this morning, I realized that I have not been filling the airlock with water! I'm not sure what I was thinking just sticking it in the top there and hoping it would keep oxygen out. So now I'm really concerned I've botched my entire first batch. I have an extra airlock on-hand so I boiled it today before work and swapped it out (with water inside) after quickly cooling it off in the freezer.

I plan to leave the beer in secondary for two weeks, at which point I will condition with 3/4c of corn sugar and transfer to bottles.

All in all I'm somewhat happy so far (the real beer smell was exciting!) but I'm reluctant to call it a success because of the improper airlock usage, sanitizer foam and potential contamination. But time will tell!

I kept a video log of it so when I get that edited together I will post a link here. Meanwhile, do any seasoned beer vets who like reading long-winded homebrew logs have any tips for later in the process, or future batches?

Here's one, before I had heard of a "corona mill":

Hey,

I'm wondering what the best method is for grinding crystal malt for the pre-boil mash. I've heard a mill grinder works really well, but I have to say standing over the brewkettle with a pepper mill until I've ground up a full pound of grain isn't my idea of fun.

I've also thought about using my coffee grinder, but I'm concerned about taste contamination (though I would love to do a coffee porter!!), and pulverizing my grain too much.

Alternatively, I could go get a mortar and pestle, or use the meat tenderizer I already have.

How do people normally grind specialty grains? Anything I haven't thought of yet?

For the record, I'm AG now and I still have them ground at the LHBS/OHBS.

My 5th Post...

I'm up against a deadline right now, but I'll produce. In the meanwhile, I offer these as an accord...

index2.jpg

MirandaKerr.jpg

elinnordegren.jpg

Here's mine,

Hi Board,

I'm new to this forum, and still relatively new to home brewing.

I took a couple of recipes into my LHBS over the holidays (One was a sweet stout and the other was Yooper's Fat Tire Clone.) Due to the hops shortage I wasn't able to get any of the hops for either recipes nor any of the " recommended subsititute" hops on their chart. (Of the 14 varitieties they had recently ordered, only one of the came in.)

The owner of the shop told me that he was suggesting that people go with buying the BB kits for a particular style and modding the recipe. At least that way you were getting the hops you wanted for your particular brew.

I ended up deciding to attempt making a sweet stout using the Brewer's Best 1023 (Irish Stout) which had Fuggles and Nothern Brewer Hops in the kit and chucking in a pound of Lactose.

I took a taste of it after I did a gravity reading yesterday and it seems like it will, in time, be a fairly decent approximation of the taste I was looking for in a sweet stout. I'm going to rack it into secondary tomorrow and leave it for a couple weeks before bottling it. Then I was planning to batch out the bottles and taste one every couple weeks (I've got 8 16 ounce fliptops I'm going to use as the "taste test" bottles) until I get a beer I like before cracking the 12 ouncers.

So I was wondering if other people were hearing the same thing from the LHBS about buying the BB kits and modifying or supplanting the kit ingredients?

And wondering also if anyone's been playing with the kits and has any interesting recipes to share.

~Cheers!

Circa 2006...my first post ever. Misunderstood the krausen that I called the yeast cake. Panicked 4 days in thinking beer was ruined and I should pour it out. Panicked due to lack of major airlock activity.

I was so n00b...

So this is our first brew. It was atrociously planned, and I'm sure we made about 100 mistakes.

We didn't have enough good water, so I had to run to the store to get a few gallons of spring water. Second, we didn't prep the yeast, we just chucked dry yeast from the packet into the beer and stirred it on in (had a DVD that did that, so we didn't think twice about it).

First and foremost, my beer only bubbled for about a day. And that was day 2 in the fermentation bucket with airlock.

It's stopped since Monday, and I opened it up to take a peek. Sadly, I'm thinking we botched the whole batch.

First, there's no 'yeast cake' at all. There is a 1/2" ring around where there might have been one, but it's all pretty much fell into the beer.

That, and it smells. Horribly. My best guess is wet sweatsock left in a gym bag for too long. I can smell the beer in there, but there's just an overwhelming nasty smell that just seems bad.

It's now day 4. Do I toss it out and sanitze, or do I wait it out till the weekend and see if it's cleared up?

Help!

With the Scots ale coming off the fermenter in about a week and a half, I'm beginning to think about what the batch will be. Given the season, I think a hefe or similar wheat is prudent, but I get indecisive when I pick through the available kits and recipes. My wife prefers a citrusy hefe like a Blue Moon, so I think this may be the next batch going in. I haven't seen any clone kits, but haven't looked all that hard

Any 'can't beat' American wheat recipes to try? I'm always open to suggestions. I've come to understand that wheats typically have violent fermentations, so I'll be picking up a Better Bottle or two from my LHBS this weekend.

Cheers,
Jason

Immediately after purchasing a PM kit based on recommendations in this thread, I went whole hog AG. :D

Note that I referred to Blue Moon (erroneously) as a Hefe. ;)

Circa 2006...my first post ever. Misunderstood the krausen that I called the yeast cake. Panicked 4 days in thinking beer was ruined and I should pour it out. Panicked due to lack of major airlock activity.

I was so n00b...

You really haven't progressed much either have you? :D

But those are the kind of noob posts that are great to look back at.

You really haven't progressed much either have you? :D

But those are the kind of noob posts that are great to look back at.

Ouch. That hurts. :)

That's why I've moved to meads. I almost NEVER see any airlock activity on those...mostly because I forget to put in that middle piece of the airlock.

Ouch. That hurts. :)

That's why I've moved to meads. I almost NEVER see any airlock activity on those...mostly because I forget to put in that middle piece of the airlock.

I still don't own a "regular" airlock. Mine have all been the weird snakey 3-chamber ones. I always wondered if there was a reason more people don't have them.

But it's all moot since I've finally made the move to blowoff tubes.

Turn back the way back machine to thread #72:

Been doing research on home brewing and most places I check say to go with a two fermenters but most places sell there kits with only one, do you need to rack it into a second? Will not racking it make it not worth doing? Will a one stage taste better than most mass produced beer?

Anyfeed back would be great!!

Damn it... Reading back on this Im kind of wishing I would have made the initial $6000 investment on a brewing setup.

What was I thinking? :p

Well, I guess Tom Petty was right in that 'The waiting is the hardest part'. I seem to have stumbled across my next attempt at another hobby, and I am getting rather excited about what I have to look forward to. The only issue (now) is I am having to be patient before I am patient. (In other words) I want to go out right now and get this process started, but with Xmas around the corner, the wife is excited cause now I have something that I can get. (I am difficult to shop for)

I dont foresee myself having any issues as far as some 'common noob mistakes' as I have a fungi thumb and the practices in growing fungi are strikingly similar to brewing as far as sterility and PATIENCE go. (except fungi is a little more demanding with sterility)

At any rate, I dont doubt that I will enjoy the process and of course the fruits of my labor (patience) that brewing will provide. But what I DO in fact fear is that this will end up being one of those things that may not 'stick' as a hobby. Sure, Ill make several brews and possibly a couple of wines but Im not a big drinker per se. I will say that I have more optimism with this endeavor as I am more of a 'beer snob' in the fact that I will not drink any domestic 'redneck' beers. (I like FLAVOR with my brew) But at the same time, I drink maybe 1 - 2 times a month. I dont want to put myself in a position where I have a buttload of (good) homebrew that just sits for months on end - but then again this may be good as it will give my brew time to season itself. (Or will it make it go to poo as has been stated by friends of the 'aged' Bud Selects that have been in my fridge for too long)

Meh, sorry about the long post... So many things on my brain right now regarding brewing. I guess Ill just start with a basic kit that can accomodate both beer AND wine as the in-laws LOOOOVE good wine. Not to mention, I dont want to blow my load and go all out on a monster brewing/kegging/drinking kit that will only pass as a 'wow, been there done that it was a challenge but one that I have accomplished... Oh wow a shiny object!!' (Yeah, I am sorta ADHD)

So long post summarized - Im thinking that a basic kit with 2 buckets and a better bottle (with all of the fixins kit) would be suffice to get me rolling initially, but would also leave room for expansion. Is there anything that people would recommend as a 'If I could do it over as a noob I would have had this' items that a basic kit might not include?
*End Read* LOL
Thanks
-Me

I rapidly deteriorate after my first batch into what is known as "beer pedophilia"
My tendencies have since improved, now I appear to be more appropriately known as a "Beer Junkie"
Sheesh... It never ends does it?
-Me

Ok, well this might not be a first post but I just had to bring it out.

So the wife and I spent the weekend up in Chicago with my mom, sister, brother, and his wife. Around 9:00 mom cracks open a bottle of Southern Tier Backburner Barley Wine and we sort of share it. It's a decent, balanced beer, with a thick, sweet, roasty malt base and a nice hop aroma to complement it. Not too bitter, but not nonexistent either. After I've had some of it, she goes, "how do you like the barley wine?"

I say, "It's good. Nice and malty."

"MALTY?!" She practically screams. "It's not malty, it's hoppy!"

"Well there's definitely a hop character to it but it's definitely maltier in overall flavor. It's a barley wine, it's supposed to be malty."

"No, Derek. It's hoppy. I don't like malty beer."

And like that, the conversation was over. I wonder if there's any hope.

Damn it... Reading back on this Im kind of wishing I would have made the initial $6000 investment on a brewing setup.

What was I thinking? :p

I remember that one. The waiting is the hardest part. I derailed it with some crap about Tom Petty.

Yeah how could we forget that post...I'm surprised he still speaks to us after the razzing we gave him.:D

My mom's thinking of dumping her boyfriend, Revs.

I may mention she's a conservative theologian. So, good luck with that.

My posts are all pretty damn boring. My second one STILL HAS NO REPLIES:

I really like this beer from Double Mountain (Hood River, OR). I think it is in the ESB style, but I am not quite sure! I am an extract+steep brewer, and I have never written a recipe from scratch, so I am thinking I will start with a generic American ESB recipe? I am not sure if I should use all pilsner base malt and then steep with some dark munich malt, or what. Also not sure which yeast to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do people have good luck asking breweries directly?

Here is the description from the website:

Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom -- Beers

Quote:
» ALPENBREW «
Created specially for Mount Hood Meadows’ 40th anniversary in 2007, Alpenbrew features a beautifully nutty maltiness, buoyed by spicy/herbal hops and fruitiness from the yeast. Look for this one at the Alpenstube, The Finish Line and the Mazot up on the slopes this winter, and at a select number of wholesale accounts.
Brewed with organic Pilsner and Dark Munich malt; Newport, Perle and Mount Hood hops. 5.0% ABV, 40 BU

My 5th or so thread was about having a weak pipeline:

I need some better pipeline management!! I find myself today with nothing to drink!!

Now I have like 600 beers in my cabinets and 40 gallons in kegs. So, I guess that worked itself out.

I am still a n00b but here is my very first post. It actually later worked too and it was my first all grain attempt, talk about slow/stuck sparge. I think my spelling has improved as well. :eek:

With all the crazy ingrediants I see these days can shreaded wheat be used in any way?

Turn back the way back machine to thread #72:

Been doing research on home brewing and most places I check say to go with a two fermenters but most places sell there kits with only one, do you need to rack it into a second? Will not racking it make it not worth doing? Will a one stage taste better than most mass produced beer?

Anyfeed back would be great!!

Have you ever figured this one out? People around here still seem to debate this on an ongoing basis. At least your spelling and grammar have improved.

Mine was totally an "is my beer ruined" thread. Thread title was "Need Help Fast."

Hi All,

I just finished fermenting a Mild Ale and am planning on botteling today.

However, I just realized that I forgot to put the cap on the airlock for the entire fermentation! I have the airlock filled with vodka. Do you think this will be a contamination problem?

Thanks,

Jim

Epic fail.

Latest posts

Back