The Mystique Of Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Persitz

Reaction score
I only ever bottled one batch of beer. Well two, but on the first one I put in 4 cups of corn sugar instead of 4 ounces, that was a dumper. From then on it was kegs only for me. I liked having beer on tap, and it was so much easier.

Having recently uped my production, I kind of need to bottle. I've got 5 gallons of Apfelwein going, 3.5 gallons of Pale Ale, and 3.5 gallons of Hefe. I was considering tapping all of it and just drinking it in stages, hefe first, then the pale, then the apfelwein. That seemed like a lot of sitting around though, so I reluctantly grabbed my bottles out of storage and set about to cleaning them.

While cleaning them and getting everything ready I thought about how it was going to be nice to have a CHOICE of homebrews all at once, rather than one at a time. I also got excited about making labels and being able to age them easily.

People always make the arguments for kegging, and I'm one of them, but I think we get lost in how cool it is to bottle. It may be more work, but there's nothing like cracking open a bottle of your latest, or going to the fridge and wondering if you want a Pale, an IPA, a Hef, or that Lambic you've been conditioning for 9 months ;-)

Maybe it's because I haven't actually bottled my Hef and Apfelwein yet, but I think I'm going to start bottling more and kegging less.

Anyone else feel this way?

I bottle, it's a PITA, I would much rather have a four tap keezer, but I need to get that past the CEO of my household. I think if you had 3 or more taps, you would have plenty of selection, without any need for cleaning, rinsing, filling, capping, etc, etc, etc.

Orlando

iv only ever kegged 5l mini kegs so maybe im not the one to comment but i dont mind bottling so much
and yes that wonderful hiss when you crack open a bottle is priceless
plus the sheer amount of different kinds of bottles is also quite worthwhile

so for me (5 gal batch) i keg 10 litres in 2 mini kegs and bottle the rest. so bottling isnt such a PITA

I have yet to make the switch to kegs. I really don't think bottling is that much work, maybe because I've been doing for so long, I have a system going. I do agree that it is nice to have several beer selections available. Plus, when I get a dinner invite, it's easier to bring a six pack of my latest batch then a keg. Have a good holiday....Later...Jeff

I only ever bottled one batch of beer. Well two, but on the first one I put in 4 cups of corn sugar instead of 4 ounces, that was a dumper. From then on it was kegs only for me. I liked having beer on tap, and it was so much easier.

Having recently uped my production, I kind of need to bottle. I've got 5 gallons of Apfelwein going, 3.5 gallons of Pale Ale, and 3.5 gallons of Hefe. I was considering tapping all of it and just drinking it in stages, hefe first, then the pale, then the apfelwein. That seemed like a lot of sitting around though, so I reluctantly grabbed my bottles out of storage and set about to cleaning them.

While cleaning them and getting everything ready I thought about how it was going to be nice to have a CHOICE of homebrews all at once, rather than one at a time. I also got excited about making labels and being able to age them easily.

People always make the arguments for kegging, and I'm one of them, but I think we get lost in how cool it is to bottle. It may be more work, but there's nothing like cracking open a bottle of your latest, or going to the fridge and wondering if you want a Pale, an IPA, a Hef, or that Lambic you've been conditioning for 9 months ;-)

Maybe it's because I haven't actually bottled my Hef and Apfelwein yet, but I think I'm going to start bottling more and kegging less.

Anyone else feel this way?

I feel that way. Why limit yourself to only a few brews? I currently have 7 varieties ready to drink and 2 more on the way. I love to walk to the fridge and say to myself, "What would taste good with tonight's meal?" i might even try making smaller batches so I can have more variety with the limited amount of bottle storage I have.

I am in the camp of those who want a variety (maybe 4-6) beers in the fridge. Also, I'm in agreement with those who don't find bottling all that much of a pain. The bottling section has an excellent sticky on refining the bottling process. And everything I've read about kegging only comes across to me as more stuff to buy, maintain, and clean. Not going there.

Since we're discussing bottling for multiple selection: when they're in the fridge how do you distinguish one batch from another? Without labels the tallneck brown bottles all kinda look alike

Since we're discussing bottling for multiple selection: when they're in the fridge how do you distinguish one batch from another? Without labels the tallneck brown bottles all kinda look alike

Different color caps for each brew, there are a bunch of colors, I never have enough to end up with doubles.

I use a Sharpie to number the cap of each different brew. The cap number goes right next to the name in my brew log.

I write the batch number on the bottle cap with a magic marker. Keep a chart handy if you have too many to remember.

44 Cream Ale
45 Duvel
46 Palisade Ale
47 IPA Stout

What's wrong with a little beer roulette? :cross:

I do label most of mine but sometimes I get a little lazy and just put them in the fridge unmarked. Does it really matter? They are all good choices. :ban:

The variety thing is kinda BS right? I mean, I have 25 kegs or so and I can bottle one off if I run out. I probably have 30-40 batches I could drink now. I have more flexibility, not less, than if I did not keg.

WSB

I usually put a mark on the cap. W for the wit, P for Porter etc.
All my caps have a batch number on them in Sharpie. Bottling isn't that bad, but I only bottle 22 oz bottles. I do 1 six pack of 12 oz, but those are used as tasters to see how batches are aging.

I bottle with my daughter. Its fun. Really. We've done it enough that it takes about an hour or so, and it's an hour that she's willing to spend with me doing something that I enjoy. I really don't mind it a bit, in fact - I look forward to it.

If I don't feel like making lables, I write the name on the cap with a fine point sharpie, or use blue painters tape on the bottle.

While cleaning them and getting everything ready I thought about how it was going to be nice to have a CHOICE of homebrews all at once, rather than one at a time.

You don't have one of these in your garage?:
2010-08-13194605.jpg

I thought everyone had one!

Seriously though, I occasionally bottle. I love revvy's bottling process and have adopted it myself. I bottle when I want share my beer far-far way (like an out-of-state wedding). Mostly though, I just bottle a few off the keg for sharing.

I recently did a ten-gallon batch of my pale ale and kegged half and bottle conditioned half. The bottled part took much longer to taste "clean", and by then the bright hoppiness was almost gone. I think the results would be different with an RIS, or something bigger, more appropriate for a bit of age.

At the end of the day, this is a hobby you should do whatever gives you the most pleasure. Some folks think pulling a pint of your own brew is the pinnacle of homebrew pleasure. Some think the bottling process is a relaxing "zen" time. Some prefer the "crack-open the bottle feeling". Some prefer a perfect pint off a nitro tap. Some think bottlers are all simpletons who haven't noticed kegs yet. Some think keggers have been "beaten" by bottling and are a bunch of pussies >cough< revvy >cough<. :D

Alright, that was a long, rambling post. I've been sampling too much brew tonight. :tank:

I bottle. I really think it's a pain. A few months ago, I started 'acquiring' those Miller Lite home draft systems. I have one filled with Apfelwein and another I just filled tonight with Cream Ale and bottled the rest of the batch.

In a week or so, I'll charge them with co2 cartridges and see how they work. If they do, there's a good chance I'll switch...

True....so I, like some other respondents to this thread, label them in some fashion. I used to write some one or two letter designator on the cap with a sharpie, then I went to a dot-type label for the cap (they are an Avery 3/4" label that fits the cap just right, can be ordered from Amazon, and the template to make them print right is available from the Avery web site). Using a 10 point font, I can get all the information I need on the cap, which would basically be beer type / bottling date.

Works for me.

Funny, I switched to kegging on my second batch as well, then after a few kegged batches I went back to bottling for the exact same reasons you mentioned. Now I only keg batches I plan to use for parties and things like that.

Once I have the funds to build my 3 tap kegorator, I think I'll start kegging more again. That way I can have some variety along with the ease of kegging.

I do both but bottle more than keg. I like seeing how my beer ages, I like being able to take a dozen to an occasion for family or friends, and I like entering beer in competitions. Love having beer on tap for parties, etc. but it's tough for me to kill a keg by myself before it goes downhill.

Back