The Most Foreallest Imperialist Without a Doubt Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 days into fermentation. Krausen dropped yesterday, and vigorous fermentation slowed down. Looking good so far!
67CD8B04-5D9C-429D-B1C2-A8D3B0504952.jpeg

Transferred to secondary and added all those crazy adjuncts! Gravity is where I expected based on OG. Tried a little sip. I think this is a good grain bill to work from. It’s gonna sit for a week with all the adjuncts and then will closed transfer to a keg for another month of aging. Can’t wait to try another sample then!!
CC133D2E-3955-48B9-8C99-09286BCEB1FC.jpeg

Kegged and sampled today. I think flavors are good, except for too much pepper. I may cut the ghost pepper bourbon tincture down both in volume and intensity. I suppose it may mellow out a bit over the next month while it sits too.

I'm going to make a 2nd run of this in the next few days to see if I can get a little closer to my target OG this time.

Kegged and sampled today. I think flavors are good, except for too much pepper. I may cut the ghost pepper bourbon tincture down both in volume and intensity. I suppose it may mellow out a bit over the next month while it sits too.

I'm going to make a 2nd run of this in the next few days to see if I can get a little closer to my target OG this time.
Never enough ghost pepper! Well, except that first time I tried them and had a reaction and my internals were basically in thermonuclear meltdown for more then 24 hours! Wish I could taste it, sounds like a really fun beer and I have been enjoying following this thread!

Update. After 2 weeks of aging, the pepper hotness is noticeably calmed down. I still think I want to leave the pepper reduction that I made to the original recipe, but I'm betting that it will come out just about perfect.

Guys, I gotta say, I'm a stout snob, and I'm happy with this recipe.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1078307/derangement
I wrote it up to be 2.5 gals so it can be made BIAB with a 10 gallon setup, but I'm sure you can double it or make whatever other adjustments are needed for your rig. If you want a 5 gal batch, double all the ingredients, but remember you're talking 28+LB of grains for 5 gal. Will take larger capacity than a normal 5 gal grain bill obviously.

I haven't had a chance to run round 2 of this yet, but I do have all the ingredients! Will be soon! I would love for someone else to give this a spin and report their opinion. I know there’s a lot of weird stuff going in the secondary, but you can get it all on Amazon relatively cheaply. 😁

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks to @TheMadKing ’s suggestions I got a lot closer to the target OG this time! Ran into a problem though. When it came time to oxygenate, my stupid O2 wand stopped working! I shook the crap out of the carboy best I could, but I’m worried with such a high gravity, the yeast won’t have enough O2. Should I try to get a new wand first thing in the morning and hit it w some oxygen, or is that too late?

NM I found my answer. Up to 12 hrs after pitching is okay with big beers. Home Depot opens at 7 so I’ll barely make it! 😁

My brother is an artist, and he is willing to crank out label art for me. Here's what the labels for Derangement will look like!
Derangement.jpg

As far as I know it could be problematic at some higher level, but this is like 1 bowl worth of vanilla custard tobacco in the 5 gallon secondary flavoring fermenter for 7 days and then it’s racked off. I don’t think that will be enough to cause any issues, but I’m no expert! I can say for sure I lived through the first batch! 😄

Now that I zoom in I see what you mean. In the future I’ll leave fancy pics to my Canon and not my iPhone! 😄

If you send me several bottles, I'll evaluate it for you.

Awe man! I wish you would have posted that a few days ago! I just mailed out a keg’s worth of samples to people! I have another pack of 2 bottles I could send ya, but I’m out of labels. If you don’t mind naked bottles PM me your address I’d be happy to send it your way!
2CB5A964-2110-4CA6-8E5A-9D3BD5BA8AE2.jpeg

This arrive just in time for American traditional Corned beef dinner. Arrived in time but somehow we are a day late. I think the pepper will go perfect with the corned beef. Thanks @Nick&Worty ! Good job on this one.
1616119380600.jpeg

I had a few people express that they’d prefer the ghost pepper at a 2 instead of a 4. The very first batch was a pepper bomb. For this second batch I cut it in half. I think going forward I’m going to decrease the pepper infusion time by half and call it done. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

For anyone reading thinking about adding pepper to your stout recipe, my advice is go easy! A little bit goes a loooong way!

Next project is going to be another stout, even more oddball than this one! I’ll start a thread for it when I’ve got it sorted, probably without rap lyrics 🤣

Back