The most efficient beer?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLovinBeast57

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm fermenting my first batch right now and I've already made a few temperature related mistakes.. I'm looking to get information of all of the things I can do to ensure I make the most efficient beer possible, how to get the best flavor, and how to get the best final gravity.

What are some tips you could give for fermentation? How do you accomplish them?
(EX: Manage your temperature by putting your fermenter in a tub of water to maintain a consistent temp, re-suspend yeast by swirling fermenter gently, etc.)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Control fermentation temps the best you can. Err on the side of too cool vs too warm if you have to. Take gravity readings when you think it's finished; if they're stable 2-3 days in a row your beer is finished fermenting. Package, carbonate and enjoy after at least a couple of weeks.

I'n my opionon it's all about the BIG 3:

1 - Pitch adequate healthy yeast

2 - Aerate your wort (pure O2 is a big plus)

3 - Control the fermentation temp during active fermentation at the cooler end of the yeast's temp range*.

*There are times when you might go the other way intentionally, but if you're at that stage you're beyond needing this advice.

I'm a big fan of Gameface's advice. While i don't use pure O2, i do some pretty serious sloshing/shaking when using liquid yeast. Dry yeast aeration isn't really needed other than a good dumping of the wort into the fermenter.

I use to think pitching a smack pack into 5 gal was adequate but after making starters and pitching healthy amount of cells my beer has gotten much cleaner.

As far as controlling temp goes, i err on the cool side as well. For me this is simply using my ambient basement temps mostly year round, or if i need to a swamp cooler works wonders!

Thanks guys! Are there any tips for knowing when a batch is done conditioning and is ready to bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

package when fermentation is complete and the only way to tell that is consistent successive gravity readings 1 or 2 days apart

what I actually do is let it sit in the fermenter for 3 weeks, take the final gravity reading and bottle

Not to highjack but I really like the red in that glass, Gameface. What is it & how'd you do it?

That's an ESB and the red might be partially due to the lighting. If I remember...I've changed my recipe... for a 10g batch it was something like 18lbs MO, 1lb C-60, 1lb Victory, 1lb caravienne.

Latest posts

Back