The Lager Hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
So I'm going to give lagering a shot. I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but a discovery in my house might prove otherwise.
When my wife and I bought our house, we were aware of a somewhat large insulated door attached to one of our basement walls. Opening it revealed an earthen hole/shaft behind the wall. It's big enough for one, maybe two 6.5 gallon carboys.
My buddy and I were bottling an ESB last night, and lagering came up. Eventually, a thermometer went in for 20 minutes, and when we checked it, came out at 50 degrees. The rest of the process would take place in my downstairs fridge.
I'm pumped!

Oh lucky you. It may not be usuable in the summer for lagering, but you can do like many folks who have a winter, and do cold weather lagering. I'd kill to have a honey hole like that.

That's the plan...use it for winter lagering, then during the summer, use it for ales that require lower temps. It was probably 20 degrees warmer than what it was outside, maybe 30.
I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

Here are some photos. Enjoy!

downsized_0126121942.jpg

downsized_0126121943.jpg

lol. I think what it might have been was a wood shoot. The only problem i see with that, my basement has more former coal/wood shoots than the original owner knew what to do with. The dirt inside is clean, so we know it wasn't used for coal. currently, our enclosed front porch is over top of that hole. Regardless, it now has a new name ... the Lager Hole.

Friggin perfect! I just about have to jam, squeeze, and lube a bucket to fit in my "free" mini fridge. $80 for a temp controller too.

The lager hole is free, will never break down, and requires no energy.

Man I'm looking at buying houses right now and I'm so tempted by these ones that have "cold rooms", uninsulated closets in the basement, usually under the front porch. Trying to convince the wife to buy a house based on a prebuilt ferm/lager chamber not going so well though...

Back