The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started playing when I was 4 but was a keeper by 9 or 10, occasionally playing fullback. Never liked playing keeper indoor, though.

I loved being keeper indoors. But then again I loved being goalie in street hockey and it's very similar. My favorite part of being an indoor keeper was taking pot shots at the opponents net. Never actually got a goal but I got close a few times.

I'm a lefty, and have always had very powerful legs and a massive boot. Plus I used to be nasty on the tackle, and had a reputation as being just short of dirty- opponent always went down but I almost always got the ball first. Did get a share of yellows but never a red (which in a youth league I guess is still pretty extreme). But I did put it in the back of the net from half field once or twice.

I played from about age 5 to age 14. Generally played keeper or left or right wing defender. Spent some brief time at CDM and nearly had my lone goal at that position. But quite honestly, my reflexes are too slow to be keeper and I've got lousy stamina when it comes to running; just not built for soccer, still love the game though.

I don't know how old I was when I started playing like everyone else. It was pretty young ike probably 4 or 5. It was basically once I was old enough to play as the field was just a short walk away. For positions I was pretty mch predominately a goal keeper. Being the tallest and slowest kid on the team it's pretty much the natural progression to head there. I also was one of the smartest kids so I learned the angles and was really good at it. Aside from goalkeeper I also played some CB, some central mid, and an odd game at striker. What I lacked in speed I made up for in intelligence which is why I was usually paired with someone faster to handle the straight breaks. My whole playing career I only scored one goal, it was on a free kick from the edge of the box as I curled a low shot aroudn the wall and in, I probably couldn't have done it agian if I tried. Probably the reason I was so poor at finishing (aside from not being a forward by trade of course) was my flair for the dramatic as I was a big fan of outside the foot shots that I was hoping would just whiz inside of the post. I stopped playing at about 12. I had a disk in my hip start slipping. I thought I pulled a groin muscle at first but after my first game that year when I couldn't even run (still held a shutout in my half in the net) we went to the doctor, I had the surgery, but the age group I was in was settled out. As a 6 foot something 200 something pound kid in highschool I opted for Football. I wouldn't have likely hacked it in soccer without taking diet more seriously so I don't really regret my choice, but it's fun to think about what may have happened if I was determined to play soccer.

For my general best moment playing, it came the year before I hurt myself, it was the best I was, I was smart and had fast reflexes, and better than 20/20 vision and I used all of those things to dominate my league. My team and 2 other teams were the ones destined to the final. We hit one of them in the semis and went to penalties where I saved 2 and conceded 1. en-route to a 3-1 victory (one other kid missed, I like to think my spastic movement on the line got in his head haha) That PK was probably the best sporting thing I did in my life. Only thing that could have topped it was I almost saved a penalty that would have won us the Championship. But alas I was confused on the rule about leaving the line and that may have been the difference between a save and a goal. Not to take anything away from the kicker, he put the ball in theside netting, I just read him perfectly and almost got there.

And that's my way too long details on my playing career haha.

I was never top scorer but had a few. But i was the "secret weapon" lol. Our keeper was bloody brilliant (went to high school with him, he was starter varsity as a freshman). I wasn't quite good enough to reach the club league, but was in the top tier of the competitive city league. Our keeper was good enough, not sure why he chose not to. Perhaps the travel. Another mate played striker, and he was damned good and in that club league. Best footballer I ever personally knew. I know he went on to play in college and could have gone pro, but chose to focus on academics instead.

Our team was good. But second to another. Just about every year we made the final, and so did they. So many second place medals lol. We did take win the "cup" once though.

Not a good night for MLS in CCL. DC losing 2-0 and Seattle drawing 2-2. They need a win or draw with more goals in Azteca. Won't be remotely easy.

Like others. I began playing around age 6-7. I mainly played behind the ball. RB, LB, CB and CDM. Played through hs and into college. I left the competitive game because the daily visits to the training room got really old. After college, I played some pick up/adult league games in my 20s.

Currently, I'm a USSF licensed club coach and referee. I got into coaching when my kids began to play and discovered I enjoyed teaching the game, so I went through the license process. (in the process of getting my D licence.

Best team I ever played on was between my Sr hs year and frosh college. A bunch of great guys who just played for fun. We had a blast playing and socializing afterwards. Best team name ever: "The Moisture Missiles". :D

I started playing rec ball at age 5. Throughout my career, I was always the shortest player on the field so virtually every coach I had would initially try to play me at midfield somewhere. However, the position I was best at was sweeper. Despite being small, I had a great vertical and could defend much taller strikers. I was very good at anticipating plays, and as sweeper, I could position myself and my fellow defenders to restrict the offense as much as possible or bait them into passes that could be intercepted. When I was 12, I was invited to try out for a local travel team and made it. I played with them until I was 16 or so. I also played for my high school and my junior year we made it to the state semifinals. My senior year sucked because we graduated 13 Seniors the year before and replaced them with inexperienced underclassmen. I led the team in scoring with 1 goal...as sweeper if that tells you anything. I played a little in college but pretty much haven't played much since.

I didn't start following soccer again until about 2010 or 2011 when NBC started showing more EPL games. I mostly followed ManU because that was the main team they showcased. However, in 2012, I decided that I needed to choose one team to follow so I would have a more vested interest in the outcomes. After watching several teams, I felt drawn to Chelsea, so that's who I picked.

Not a good night for MLS in CCL. DC losing 2-0 and Seattle drawing 2-2. They need a win or draw with more goals in Azteca. Won't be remotely easy.

Of the two, I think DC has the easier path, they'll be back at home and Queretaro isn't as good as Club America. Sure they need 2+ goals to have a chance to win, but at home that should be feasible. For the Sounders well, sure they've pulled off a win in Mexico before...but Estadio Azteca is a whole different beast and Club America is a very different team from CF Monterrey.

Jozy Altidore has yet another hamstring injury, this one picked up during Toronto FC preseason training. He'll be out until March 13th at least, which could mean he may not be match fit for the USMNT next set of World Cup qualifier games.

Altidore Injury

I'm curious what the strategy and lineup is going to be for our second Europa leg tomorrow. Hugo and Coco are back, but Mous and Harry are out (Mous may be out as far as the NLD which is worrisome, but Harry seems to be more precautionary and he should be back v. Swansea, let the rumors abound about what Harry's mask is going to look like, I'm partial to the mask of his own face, and Batman), so I'm wondering who fills the 9 spot. I'm guessing Son, popular suggestions are Son or Chadli.

Given that we're at home, and a clean sheet means we advance regardless if we score, I expect many managers would opt to park the bus. But I don't see Poch going that route.

Oof, rough first half of the quarter finals all around for MLS teams. Clint Dempsey remains the only MLS player to have scored for an MLS team in this round and the Sounders are unlikely to get out of the round. Of the remaining teams, LA probably has the best chance though, a 0-0 tie at home has to be disheartening, but a single away goal could be all they need to reach the next round against Santos Laguna, a team that they really should be doing better against. On paper the Sounders have the next easiest path, but beating Club America in Estadio Azteca? That's tough. DC and Real Salt Lake are both down 0-2, but they do head home for the next step, but I'd say DC United are the more likely of the two.

Chadli it is. First half draws to a close, we're looking strong and dominant, and up by one. Another goal should put this round to bed.

Meanwhile, my money says if Manchester United are knocked out of Europa by Midtjylland that LVG will finally be served his walking papers. And given that Midtjylland has scored twice (albeit once in their own net), and Man U failed on a penalty to even up the aggregate, not looking good for Louis Van Gaal.

Complete opposite of our FA Cup tie with CP where the official said play on to everything. Official blowing the whistle constantly, cards left and right. Bullsh** yellow card to Dele Alli for embellishment (he was clearly knocked over, terrible call) meaning a suspension. Ugh.

But a Fiorentina own goal cements it, I'd say. Justice for being knocked out by them last year. No way they muster 3 goals in 7 mins remaining.

Oh, and LVG may have some hope yet. ManU has righted the ship, it seems.

Well, they beat a team they were supposed to beat. I wouldn't call that righting the ship. The fact they lost 2-1 away and fell down 1-0 early may have lead to LVG being sacked in the morning without a rally. He can Thank Memphis Depay for the time he bought him. Depay was a beast. Only thing I wish they did was let Rashford take the penalty instead of Ander Herrera. Obviously Herrera is a superior taker as that was a brilliant PK, but it would have been nice for him to get a hat trick.

Well, they beat a team they were supposed to beat. I wouldn't call that righting the ship. The fact they lost 2-1 away and fell down 1-0 early may have lead to LVG being sacked in the morning without a rally. He can Thank Memphis Depay for the time he bought him. Depay was a beast. Only thing I wish they did was let Rashford take the penalty instead of Ander Herrera. Obviously Herrera is a superior taker as that was a brilliant PK, but it would have been nice for him to get a hat trick.

It seems a perfectly fitting analogy to me in this context, but to each their own. It was a side they were supposed to beat that they almost didn't.

"We are Reno 1868 FC"

Eh. This sounds like a bunch of market researchers trying to cram multiple soccer names into one. I'm also not a huge fan of FC. It's not entirely wrong of course, bt this is America, it's called soccer. Soccer is an English shortening of Association Football.

To me it's way better to go with OCSC or Columbus Crew SC than say NYCFC.

"We are Reno 1868 FC"

Eh. This sounds like a bunch of market researchers trying to cram multiple soccer names into one. I'm also not a huge fan of FC. It's not entirely wrong of course, bt this is America, it's called soccer. Soccer is an English shortening of Association Football.

To me it's way better to go with OCSC or Columbus Crew SC than say NYCFC.

Blast fax kudos, then revolutionize some paradigms outside the box.

The 2016 Copa Centanario pots have been announced and the US seems to be in a good spot to get a winnable draw for the group stage. You can find the info on the draw here. Group 2 will bring the most potential pain for the US, with Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and Uruguay, no easy matches there. Group 3 and 4 are largely composed of old rivals that shouldn't be too tough, but one does stand out: pot 4 includes Paraguay which could be a nasty threat to the USMNT. A worst case scenario would probably be USA, Uruguay/Colombia, Costa Rica/Jamaica and Paraguay, while the best case is probably USA, Chile/Ecuador, Haiti/Panama and Bolivia/Peru.

I dont seee Venezuela in there bud! We will probably qualify I know (who am I kidding we are only good for baseball and rum lol)

So, the Copa America draw is done and we have our groups. Here's how I see each group shaking out:

Group A
USA
Colombia
Costa Rica
Paraguay

I already covered this pretty thoroughly above, theoretically anyone can come out of this group, but on paper this should be Colombia in first and team USA second.

Group B
Brazil
Ecuador
Haiti
Peru

Brazil must be salivating over this group. The only real dominance threat here is Ecuador, but even that isn't all that scary. Anything other than winning this group is a huge slip up for Brazil. Haiti and Peru should be sheep to the slaughter and Ecuador should wind up second.

Group C
Mexico
Uruguay
Jamaica
Venezuela

If there is a group of death in this tournament, I'd say group C is it. Uruguay are monstrously good, Mexico is the current Gold Cup champion and Jamaica is no slouch, Venezuela is theoretically the punching bag here, but if they can sort out their interpersonal issues (the players protested due to a recent spate of bad results) then they could be a surprise threat. That said, on paper this should be simple, Uruguay annihilates everyone else and then Mexico picks up the scraps to take second place.

Group D
Argentina
Chile
Panama
Bolivia

Anyone wanna bet against a team with Lionel Messi getting out of their group? I didn't think so. After that, I think Chile, who are scary fast and almost entirely ignore defense in favor of offense, will take second. Bolivia is just happy to be here and are probably the punching bag. The only way Panama has a chance here is if their defense is absolutely 100% perfect against Chile and they can counter attack effectively against Chile's 3 man defense and then beat Bolivia too.

Costa rica might give a surprise to Colombia. And Venezuela usually puts up a good fight against these teams(we have strong hearts) and if you see the history of venezuela vs uruguay and vs mexico, we havent done too bad. As you said, the players protested, not only for the results but because theres a lot of corruption in that federation. Honestly, my country is way too ****ed up to have a good national team, they basically represent the country's situation, cant even find shampoo in the damn pharmacies anymore

The old era of FIFA corruption is over! Let a new era of FIFA corruption begin! Gianni Infantino, whose name (I believe) translates to "Giant Baby" has won the FIFA presidency! Go maybe slightly less corrupt FIFA president!

Giant Baby Wins FIFA Election

I'd be upset about drawing Dortmund, but ultimately if we're going to win Europa we either have to beat them or whoever else beats them no matter what anyway so better to get it out of the way now.

Also, I find the arrogance of refusing to accept "football" as a term instead of devoting it to a game played with neither feet nor a proper ball to FAR surpass whatever issues with a US team using "FC".

Also, I find the arrogance of refusing to accept "football" as a term instead of devoting it to a game played with neither feet nor a proper ball to FAR surpass whatever issues with a US team using "FC".

Sorry, but American Football is based off the Rugby school

Association football (or Football, or Soccer) is based off the Cambridge rules.

In America, American rules football from jump street dominated Association Football. You can call soccer football if you choose, it's your right to do that. But in my experience anyone who's not from another country who I know who calls soccer football, is an elitist. So I don't know, maybe I'm a bit jaded, but I call it soccer, it's an English term, so it's not like it's something American's made up.

Sorry, but American Football is based off the Rugby school

Association football (or Football, or Soccer) is based off the Cambridge rules.

In America, American rules football from jump street dominated Association Football. You can call soccer football if you choose, it's your right to do that. But in my experience anyone who's not from another country who I know who calls soccer football, is an elitist. So I don't know, maybe I'm a bit jaded, but I call it soccer, it's an English term, so it's not like it's something American's made up.

And yet "soccer" is something all but no one in England uses...

"Rugby football" vs. "Association football", I'm aware of the etymology. And yet rugby is rugby and football is football.

And yet "soccer" is something all but no one in England uses...

"Rugby football" vs. "Association football", I'm aware of the etymology. And yet rugby is rugby and football is football.

Because of popularity. Same reason why in America Association Football is Soccer and AMerican Football is Football.

Because of popularity. Same reason why in America Association Football is Soccer and AMerican Football is Football.

You have a point there. I suppose New Zealand would be the third example where rugby is king and they often use soccer instead of football (despite changing the term in official use). However i thought they still usually called rugby rugby and not football. But never been, don't know any kiwis, and I seldom watch rugby (even if the All Blacks are really, really good) so I have no idea.

Plus the FO has indicated that the "FC" or "Football Club" is simply a designator. Yes, it's part of the official name but I doubt it will be used much colloquially. Nobody says "Seattle Sounders FC" or "Vancouver Whitecaps FC" in casual conversation.

Most likely in conversation we'll hear a lot of "1868". And what seems to be catching on in social media is "R68" or "R'68" which I like. I've also seen a few "#BLCTID"

It's not only us nervous-excited about the Dortmund draw. They know we're also a force to be reckoned with. One report even said that Dortmund got the "tough draw". For once something other than "lads, it's Tottenham".

This will definitely test our Champions League mettle.

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...gue-2016?_ga=1.94008541.1993576613.1441377342

My favorite:

Michael Zorc (Sporting Director): "Tottenham are the most difficult side that we could have been up against, but it's also a hugely appealing fixture."

I'm glad when CCSC went through their rebranding, they elected to go with SC rather than FC. It's major league SOCCER not football or futbal.
Americans who try to emulate Europe in soccer drive me crazy. To me, it's 1 part pretension and one part wannabe.

One Leicester late goal spoils what would have been a fantastic weekend. Hah. At least our hold on 2nd is a bit stronger and we're still only 2 off of first (but it could have been us on top, oh well)

Leicester slipped. Could have put it away for the win in stoppage time, but didn't. Now it's our time to shine. A win tomorrow, and we move into first place. COYS!

Back