The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This place is going to get nuts

1403473273830.jpg

I know, instead of clearing the ball I'll just give a perfect assist to the wrong team and gift them a World Cup goal.

That was a deflating goal at the end, but an out-freakin'-standing comeback. Feel better going into this Thursday's game against Germany now seeing their willingness to play until the end. Go USA!

So thoughts on the match.

1 daft mistake that Cameron almost never makes and a miracle luck clearance by Bruno are why we didn't advance. Sure we had a luck save as well, btu the luck overall was on the side of Portugal.

Overall we were the better side, we deserved to win, but a draw can serve us well. I personally blame the draw on Taylor Twellman who kept mentioning the US never won when conceding first, as we all know you can never tempt the soccer gods. Muchless tempt them over and over again.

I can't point out a weak performance on the squad. I guess maybe Cameron was the weakest? But he made a ton of great plays as well. The players who stood out to me the most were Jones, Johnson, Dempsey in the first half, and my MOTM Besler. I know others will disagree with my opinion of MOTM as Jones and Dempsey are probably the more common picks, but you cannot underate the job Besler did making the perfect moves to cut off passes, block shots and make tackles. By my eye he didn't set a foot wrong and he was a huge reason Ronaldo didn't really have any chances.

wqMWK7z.gif

The place absolutely exploded for the first goal, and I didn't think it was possible but the second goal was even louder.

But f**k.... f****************************ck I was so ready to celebrate getting out of the group. There were obviously a bunch of American football fans in the bar since they started chanting "Nana na na hey hey hey goodbye" and me and a handful of other guys were yelling at them to shut up. Too late. Bad juju.

Still... a draw against Portugal is huge. But I wanted that win SO bad.

The outlook is still good. Draw/beat Germany and we're in. Lose and we have many MANY scenarios to go through.

SHORT VERSION:

- We advance if Germany only beats us by 1 and Ghana beats Portugal by only 1
- We advance if, depending on how many goals Germany puts in over us, Portugal beats Ghana by anywhere between 1 and 4 goals (I know, so many ways for this to play out)

There are several ways for the US to get through but almost as many would knock us out. 4-4-1-1 brackets are scary.....

Maybe Jurgen can arrange a 0-0 draw with ze Germans.

I was so looking forward to today and the drama that unfolded was awesome. The bar I was in erupted on the Dempsey goal and the server dropped a tray of beer. The place I went is always packed on NFL Sundays, but the manager said too me it has never been as loud as when the Dempsey goal happened. But then of course you could hear the proverbial pin drop drop in the 49th minute.

I am so stoked for Thursday, gonna put in the vacation request first thing Monday morning!

So thoughts on the match.

1 daft mistake that Cameron almost never makes

Was it Cameron's mark who scored the tying goal at the end? I couldn't stand to watch the replay over again but I think it was. Better make that 2 daft mistakes.

Was it Cameron's mark who scored the tying goal at the end? I couldn't stand to watch the replay over again but I think it was. Better make that 2 daft mistakes.

I don't much feel like seeing the replay again either, but I thought that he was Fabian's responsibility.

Most definitely Cameron. 100% without a doubt.

It's cool, though. Captain Jean Luc Picard.... um... I mean Patrick Stewart believes!

h32AFA7F2

I only wore my primary jersey to the Azerbaijan game. Every one since I've worn my American Outlaws shirt and it's been working out well so far. I think I should send my jersey in to get AO patches put on so I can get the luck of both :D

This is amazing. Brazilian dude helps his deaf and (appears to me mostly) blind friend enjoy the Brazilian match. This is beyond amazing. Seems like the guy is showing field and ball position while the girl is signing maybe moves on his back (i.e. pass, dribble, etc.)

0:00 - 4:08 Showing the board they built.
4:08 - 7:08 Describing the opening ceremony and national anthems for him
7:08 - end Actual demonstration of how they show him the action of the field. Crazy crazy cool.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TK2AgzBBvKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's kind of sad for me, but not that sad, that I don't really care about the matches leading up to Thursday. I really just don't care that much. All my energy is being saved up for THursday. It may wind up being my last chance to root for the US and if it does I'm gonna make sure I invest my full attention into it.

It's kind of sad for me, but not that sad, that I don't really care about the matches leading up to Thursday. I really just don't care that much. All my energy is being saved up for THursday. It may wind up being my last chance to root for the US and if it does I'm gonna make sure I invest my full attention into it.

Yeah I've been watching these last matches but not as intently. I think I'm just ready for the next round to start.... but more importantly I'm ready for Thursday. And I'm tired. I've been sick since the first US game and I'm kind of the unofficial capo in our little AO chapter so I've been completely gassed after each game, especially this last one where I could hardly breathe (dehydrated, congested, chest tightness, headache, drunk) but was still leading the "I BELIEVE" chant and other songs.

F**k it, though. I don't care if I pass out in the middle of a round of "We Love Ya'". Our boys give everything they have down there, so I'll return the favor. It only comes once every four years. :rockin:

As much as I loved seeing Italy go down to Uruguay, I can't believe the Italians didn't kick the living **** out of Suarez after the whistle blew. The Cannibal needs to be banned from the rest of the World Cup

As much as I loved seeing Italy go down to Uruguay, I can't believe the Italians didn't kick the living **** out of Suarez after the whistle blew. The Cannibal needs to be banned from the rest of the World Cup

Exactly! He is out of control and his behavior should not be tolerated.

The bite felt round the world! Banning is appropriate. If a donkey bit me I'd break my fist on his grill.

Great line on the podcast The Biggest Problem In The World (this segment was "Why does the US still suck at soccer?")

It's amazing to hear Maddox even care about soccer but he had the best suggestion ever:

When we eventually win the World Cup the rest of the world has to call it soccer for four years. :rockin:

I agree with the professor. It looks like you are right on track. Keep track of the fluctuations as far as the hydrometer goes and you should be all right. Keep Brewing!

My thoughts exactly. Did any of you see the whole game. I only saw the incident. Was there bad blood between these two the whole game? Just seeing the video of the bite, it almost looks like it was done simply to draw a penalty kick rather than an emotional reaction from Suarez.

So a guy bites another player with the whole world watching? Nice situational awareness. He needs a sidewalk sandwich

Back