The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With our injury problems and thin squad, we don't have the depth or fitness to gegenpress, especially not for 90 mins. We need to be careful with subs. Liverpool is more fit than Spurs without a shadow of a doubt right now. And if we go all guns blazing we will crap out 70 mins in and collapse. Then we bring on Llorente? We can hold 0-0 or even go 1 up until we run out of steam and then lose by three goals.

That's my take.

We do have the will though. Proud of this team.

Come on you Reds (see what I did there) YNWA.
yeah those reds right now as they know they planned for a parade in North London
gooner_mj_zpse9nrj6ft.jpg

Is it June 1st yet!?!?!
Three more days.

Question is if I go to the pub 3 blocks away that's home to both Arlington Spurs and whatever the local Scouser crew calls themselves (of whom the owner is one) where both will be heavily present (also home to Arlington Gunners which makes the NLD great for banter), or make my way downtown with to the DC Spurs pub where it's likely to just be us. Or head out to the burbs to a good brewery where apparently the taproom manager is a Yiddo. Or stay home and get blackout.

Three more days.

Question is if I go to the pub 3 blocks away that's home to both Arlington Spurs and whatever the local Scouser crew calls themselves (of whom the owner is one) where both will be heavily present (also home to Arlington Gunners which makes the NLD great for banter), or make my way downtown with to the DC Spurs pub where it's likely to just be us. Or head out to the burbs to a good brewery where apparently the taproom manager is a Yiddo. Or stay home and get blackout.
Go to where both supporters are present. It will give the best atmosphere!

I'm a Liverpool fan, but cool on ya man. You bought a second tier trophy by beating a joke of a team. Woot.
Win your match on Sat so lolpool can show Chelsea in UEFA Super Cup how much of a joke they are. Talking all of that smack & still a chance your side is only a bridesmaid.

Win your match on Sat so lolpool can show Chelsea in UEFA Super Cup how much of a joke they are. Talking all of that smack & still a chance your side is only a bridesmaid.

Did your team record the third highest EPL points total ever or do you just continue to be the biggest troll on this thread?

Now is the chance for spuds to take North London back. If spuds win The European Cup, apparently many gooners will give up football forever. The new Arsenal crest
D71eDxzU8AAhuss.jpg

We were the better team by every metric except the one that matters.

And a fair play chest/shoulder ball "penalty" set the tone.

I'm gonna drink myself stupid.

We were the better team by every metric except the one that matters.

And a fair play chest/shoulder ball "penalty" set the tone.

I'm gonna drink myself stupid.

I get the sentiment, but disagree on the call. Arm moved into ball. Ball hit outside of the chest. Penalty. Scoreline was flattering by a mile and I believe it was a 50/50 game, but I feel that call was right and would say the same if it was the other team earning it.

Your guys season still blew away the Arse. Keep your manage and you will have trophies.

I would have taken an extra time or penalties loss as fair. It was well played by both. We were dominant but couldn't finish when it mattered. Liverpool played conservatively and countered.

I'm still proud. And given context it's a better result than I expected.

Next year we shoot for the stars.

I would have taken an extra time or penalties loss as fair. It was well played by both. We were dominant but couldn't finish when it mattered. Liverpool played conservatively and countered.

I'm still proud. And given context it's a better result than I expected.

Next year we shoot for the stars.
It was a pretty even game. I understand the pain, Tottenham were reminiscent of Liverpool last year. I hope they show the same improvement in the following season as Liverpool did this year. I will say Liverpool were most deserving of a trophy this year but I feel for the Spurs.

My wife and I are both huge Liverpool fans (YNWA was in our vows. Both have tats with Liverpool meaning). This is a special release of Hill Florence which is her favorite offering of theirs. Cheers to all.

IMG_5560.JPG

Terrible match, and I feared for the worst having waited nearly a month for the bloody thing. UEFA is run by knobhounds. I almost lost interest a week before the match started, if I am being absolutely honest. As it transpired on the day, if I wasn't a red, I'd have turned the bloody game off and done something better with my time.

There were 3 highlights from the first half. The pen, TAA missing from 35 yards, and Robertson getting a save out of Spurs keeper. Did Spurs force one save from Alison in the first 45? I dont remember one. Spurs first meaningful effort came at the 80th minute. They then had 3-4 half chances, and Liverpool had a couple at the other end.

Origi took the 2nd goal well. I dont think Spurs can be all that miffed. They probably had the majority of the play, but you have to score. You can argue the pen, but if it was given against us, I'd have thought - its probably right. Hand in the air, hit by tha ball- pen all day!

Liverpools worst performance of the year, and we still managed to win, which is something we have been doing a lot this season. Hallmark of a top side. Commiserations to spurs fans on here.

I think Liverpool did something uncharacteristic, and sat back deeper and played on the counter. Spurs were poor the first half. We had nary a shot towards goal, let alone on target if I recall. A lot of cycling, little done with it.

Second half was another story. We had a couple quality chances, so did you. But ultimately we had more possession, more passes at higher accuracy, more shots, and more of them on target.

The way Liverpool played we could have and should have been able to do more. On analysis I read actually chalked Liverpool's win up to Allison's couple saves.

I really do blame that penalty for the atmosphere of the game. Even if based on the above the loss itself is still squarely on Tottenham.

Consensus among those who think it was a fair call (i am still not convinced but will readily concede being blinded by bias) is still that it was a harsh one.

I read a piece in the Independent this morning about that call. It called it a fair but harsh call by letter of law, and the current stricter interpretation of it by officials.

And went on to describe how it was bad for the future of the game.

Sissoko was signalling to a teammate. Mane kicked the ball at his arm. By letter of law, that is legal and a penalty. Even if Mane was looking for it.

Just as Lamela made a meal of VVDs technically-a-foul to the hamstring that awarded the penalty for Spurs that saw us finish ahead of Pool in the table. That many Pool fans are still bitter about.

It's not unlike diving.

And unless the law or its application is altered from the current course, we'll see more players cheekily lob the ball at opposing arms in the box in search of a penalty.

Latest posts

Back