The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What momentum did we have? They finished 2-3-0 in the last five regular season games of 2013 and then lost in the first round. Maybe you're referring to personnel. I'll give full credit to Pareja for bringing in Vicente Sanchez, a bargain even at $200k per year in my mind (too bad he isn't just a couple of years younger), and drafting Brown and Powers, having the top two rookies in any year is a big deal. However, he also brought in a number of busts; our first and now former DP being the top of my, and a bunch of other people's, list. Back to 2014, we lost both of our starting center backs for almost half of the season and had heavy rotation through the outside backs due to poor performances and more injuries.

Do we have some issues that may not be overcome in time? Sure. Are we in a better place overall than last year? You bet'cha. Due to travel and lost desire, I missed a few games at the end of last year and really didn't care that I wasn't at the stadium. Despite Saturday's loss, I don't feel that anything is that wrong with the team and am looking forward to our next game.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, I guess. I think Pareja is a major loss for the organization and I'm fairly certain that until the ownership pulls their head out of their ass the Rapids will continue to struggle. That said, there's nothing wrong with cheering for a struggling team, I was a fan of the Seahawks back when they sucked, after all.

So the Montreal Impact became the second MLS team in history to make the CONCACAF Champions League final (the only other team? RSL). A big tip of the hat to them for pulling off a difficult run through the CCL grinder to get this far and I hope they'll win the final. MLS's website has an excellent breakdown of why MLS teams have struggled so much in CCL away matches http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2015/04/08/video-go-behind-scenes-montreal-impacts-dramatic-champions-league-clincher-s. Now if we could just get these games on basic cable so people can actually watch them, that would be great.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, I guess. I think Pareja is a major loss for the organization and I'm fairly certain that until the ownership pulls their head out of their ass the Rapids will continue to struggle. That said, there's nothing wrong with cheering for a struggling team, I was a fan of the Seahawks back when they sucked, after all.

Had he stuck around, Pareja may have done some good and/or great things for us. The problem is that he didn't stay long enough to find out. At the time, word was that he didn't want to leave Dallas in the first place, but since he couldn't get the assurances that he wanted for the head job, he came here. Then as soon as the Dallas gig opened, he jumped.

My summation would be that Pablo deserves blame fore the results, but not as much as you have ascribed and Pareja deserves credit for the things that he did, but he isn't responsible for as much as you have intimated. Here in Colorado, we have been discussing the Rapid's head office inadequacies for 20 years...it's just the status quo.

Had he stuck around, Pareja may have done some good and/or great things for us. The problem is that he didn't stay long enough to find out. At the time, word was that he didn't want to leave Dallas in the first place, but since he couldn't get the assurances that he wanted for the head job, he came here. Then as soon as the Dallas gig opened, he jumped.

My summation would be that Pablo deserves blame fore the results, but not as much as you have ascribed and Pareja deserves credit for the things that he did, but he isn't responsible for as much as you have intimated. Here in Colorado, we have been discussing the Rapid's head office inadequacies for 20 years...it's just the status quo.

To be clear, I don't think Mastroeni is a terrible coach, I just don't think he's good enough to get the Rapids back to the promised land. I think Pareja knew how to coach those young guys to get the best out of them, let's not forget that the second half of the 2013 season was marred by a lot of injuries too. The Pareja switch was an odd one, to be sure, it seemed hurried and last minute by both sides, which seemed to indicate to me (at the time) that it was a breakdown at the management level in Colardo more than a desire to jump to Dallas, but I could be wrong and ultimately we'll never know.

Sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear that over the stomping Colorado gave one of the best teams in the league. ;)

But seriously, daaaaaang Colorado. Those kits are lucky. You now have to wear them every single match.

Very impressive win, no doubt. I didn't think Dallas deserved the top spot in the league but that was quite the beating. Of course, maybe Dallas was just having a really bad day, which does happen sometimes in soccer.

Very impressive win, no doubt. I didn't think Dallas deserved the top spot in the league but that was quite the beating. Of course, maybe Dallas was just having a really bad day, which does happen sometimes in soccer.

Very true. Especially in a league of parity sometimes the winner is who is better that day.

My thoughts on this week of soccer in MLS

1. WTF Colorado?!
A 4-0 scoreline reverses a lot of what I thought about Colorado last week and makes Dallas look downright pathetic. That said, I think it was just a bad night for Dallas and a very good night for Colorado. Both teams have big showdowns against big money squads next week, Dallas takes on Toronto FC while the Rapids meat the Sounders; these matches should show us if Dallas is going to continue slide and Colorado is going to continue to rise.

2. The LA Galaxy Owe Jaime Penedo Big Time
In arguably the most exciting game of the week, the Sounders went down to LA for a match up between the Supporters Shield winners and the MLS Cup winners. While LA had some nice chances (including the one that Alan Gordon put away) they spent most of the game on the back heel as the Sounders pressed and pressed for a goal. LA won 1-0 against the Sounders, but it was all due to their goalkeeper, Jaime Penedo, who made 10 (?!) saves, a few of them highlight reel stuff. Many of those shots came from Lamar Neagle on the Sounders, who reminded people that he's much better as a striker than a midfielder. In any case, LA and Seattle were both wounded teams, missing top strikers and some supporting cast, every time they face off it's an exciting game so look forward to those match ups later in the year.

3. Vancouver's Very Tough Week
Vancouver had an interesting week, beating LA last Saturday 2-0 and then tying Columbus at home midweek to finally lose to San Jose last night, but that's a very tough week. Vancouver went from playing at home, to playing in Columbus, OH to Carson City, CA; that's a lot of travel in a week against a lot of challenging teams. If the Whitecaps can hang tough in a week like this, they may very well have a shot at the western final.

4. Orlando City SC Road Warriors
Orlando picked up another win, this time against the Timbers and looked very good doing it, they controlled possession and the field in general for most of the game. Orlando has been the "weird" team so far this season, only picking up 1 point in their home matches (off a weird Kaka free kick deflection) but picking up 7 on the road. Every season there is this team that just can't win at home, but can do it on the road, that's Orlando this year. If Orlando can get everything to click, they might very well take the east. Fear the purple lions east division...if they're not playing at home.

5. Montreal Confuses Me
So, the Impact became only the second team to make the CONCACAF Champions League final in MLS history...but they keep getting their butts kicked in MLS. In 4 games, Montreal is 0-2-2 in MLS and sit at the bottom of the east...but somehow they're our last, best chance for a CCL trophy this year. If Montreal win the CCL and go to the Club World Cup, but miss the playoffs, it could be the oddest season in MLS history.

You know I saw that LAvSEA game a bit different. I don't think either side really had control for more than 10 minutes at a time. That was a very back-and-forth match.

And as far as Montreal, yeah that a weird one. And I thought DC winning the USOC while breaking the record for worst season ever was weird...

Great match for the US. From what I saw

Good

Alvarado - Guy seemed to always come up big in clearances, blocks and tackles.
Yedlin in the second half - first half he didn't do anything particularly bad but some bad touches and passes hurt. Second half he didn't put a foot wrong. Second half he was the best player on the pitch
Forwards - All 3 of them were great. They all put in quality minutes and performances. Morris's goal was super calm and composed, Agudelo's was great, and Zardes was running all over being a total pest. Great performances from all 3.
Bradley - really was a force in the middle.
Mix - very strong.

God that field was terrible though, I know money was the reasoning here but surely we can get a better setup than sod on concrete.

Overall though, pretty happy with that game, glad to see the young guns get their shot and shine.

Pretty crazy that the usmnt has given call ups to a collegiate player & a player from NASL this year.
I loved Bob Bradley, but he would have called up Freddie adu from the Turkish 9th division before those 2 guys.

My thoughts on this week of MLS soccer.

1. I Was Wrong About Jesse Marsch
I thought that the signing of Marsch by the New York Red Bulls was a terrible decision, and to be fair most people thought so too. Petke had just taken the NYRB to the brink of an MLS cup on their best season to date, involving a trip to the eastern conference final and a record-tying season for Bradley Wright Philips. Some folks "in the know" said Marsch's NYRB would be a better team, I scoffed at them and it turns out...I was wrong. The Red Bulls currently sit top of the east, unbeaten so far this season; I'm skeptical that the Red Bulls will stay on top, but Marsch certainly wasn't the disaster I thought he would be, so apologies to Jesse Marsch.

2. Fox Sports Has Its First Big Controversy
A lot of people were very concerned about Fox Sports taking over the World Cup and MLS soccer, and for those that were worried, the first big issue has come up. MLS was preempted by a rain-delayed NASCAR race, moved to Fox Sports 2. The problem? Fox Sports 2 isn't available without an extra sports package in Portland, this left the vast majority of Portland fans completely unable to watch the game. If a World Cup or Gold Cup were to get bumped due to something like this, a lot of people would be very, very angry. As it is, I'd point out to Fox Sports that they just pissed off a fanbase whose mascot wields a chainsaw...maybe rethink that next time.

3. The Jordan Morris Controversy Continues
On both the first Sunday game and, according to tweets, the second Sunday game (don't know as my DVR has 2 hours of NASCAR right now...see 2.) the announcers discussed the question of what Jordan Morris' call up means to MLS. Taylor Twellmen felt that it disrespected people playing professionally in MLS that had pushed to play at the highest level of pro soccer they could, but didn't get a call up, Alexi Lalas, disagreed (and for once I agree...sort of). Personally, given that Morris controversially decided to continue playing for Stanford, I think Klinsmann is trying to get Morris to go pro by giving him a taste of the possibilities. Regardless of what Klinsmann says, what he means is that he wants to call in the best available players possible, Jordan Morris, it just so happens, is one of those players right now. It's also worth noting that Morris is actually tied to MLS right now, he's a Sounders' academy player; if we had a European style training system he'd probably be playing with the U-20 or U-23 team right now. In any case, I highly doubt that Jordan Morris is going to be on the team come the Gold Cup...if nothing else that would ruin his NCAA eligibility.

4. Philadelphia's Problem Isn't the Goalkeeper...Sort Of
The Union this week announced that controversial (and relatively expensive) goalkeeper Rais Mbholi had been benched in favor of the young hometown talent John McCarthy, regardless the result was the same. Mbholi isn't as bad as people think he was and really, replacing Mbholi ignores the wider problems the Union have on defense. Admittedly, Mbholi's money on the cap could certainly have been used to get better players, but overall Philly just seems to be bad at defending; this wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that Philly really doesn't have an amazing offense either. LeToux and Aristeguieta can occasionally do some amazing things, but fairly often Philly puts together a good looking set of passes only for it to come to nothing. At the start of the season I thought that weird red cards were sinking the Union, now I think it's bad management and/or coaching.

5. Vancouver and Dallas Continue to Surprise
Few people going in to the season would have bet that Vancouver and Dallas would look this damn good right now, but here we are. After a tough week a bit of rest did Vancouver good, they beat RSL 1-0 at home after Saucedo (rightfully) got a straight red for a studs-up challenge; I thought the second yellow to Olave was harsh in real time...but I could be wrong. Dallas, meanwhile, had a weirder path, lightning and a power outage led to a nearly 4 hour delay in their 3-2 win over Toronto, Dallas looked to have weathered the delay much worse than Toronto, who got their 2 goals after the delay. The Sounders do have 2 games in hand on Vancouver and 1 in hand on Dallas which, if they won both, would put them ahead of both Vancouver and Dallas (goal differential tie-breaker), but games in hand are not nearly as good as points in the standings.

Did yedlin move to the 6 in the second half?

Not until Evans came in. He did get more advanced in general though. Judging by how the first half was played, the US looked to be spending the first half a little more cautious because of the ****tiness of the pitch. By the second half they were a bit more ambitious.

Morris shouldn't wind up on our Gold Cup roster for what it's worth.

Assuming health, I see him being behind Jozy, Dempsey, Johansson, Bobby Wood (he should be getting back onto the pitcher soon) maybe Joe Gyau (he's also hitting that point where he's going to be reassessed soon), Rubin, Zardes, and probably Boyd as well. Not to mention I think for right now if push comes to shove he's behind Wondo as well as Agudelo, though WOndo is old and Agudelo is obviously in a rebuilding phase.

Morris is the perfect recipient of a combination of injury (Dempsey) not being on a FIFA break (Rubin and Johansson), and a Red Card (Jozy) and then adding in that you have Gyau, Wood, and Boyd who're still hurt and in Europe so they're a little column A and a little column B. Great situation for Morris and Agudelo to make their stamp. THough I think ultimately both will be left off the gold cup roster.

Assuming reasonable health I would guess our gold cup roster to be (though I'm sure I'll be wrong with Klinsmann in charge)

GK - Guzan, RImando, Yarbrough (probably to cap tie him)
DF - Johnson, Chandler, Yedlin, Garza, Besler, Gonzalez, Brooks, Jones. Cameron
MF - Bradley, Mix, Bedoya, Shea, Zusi
FW - Dempsey, Jozy, Johansson, Zardes, Rubin, Green.

Now this is me assuming based on the skill the US going to a 3-5-3 which is a risky assumption, as they've never done it but I think with the way the fullback talent is shaking out better than most would predict it makes perfect sense.

CB being a tough battle, who fits, who doesn't. I think if we go to a 3-5-3, the people who're hurt the most are Johnson and Chandloer as they fit better as 4-4.... types, CHandler in defense and Johnson in either role. Johnson doesn't quite have the burning speed to be a great wing back but would be more than fine out there. Chandler absolutely has the speed but doesn't have the adventurous nature to go forward that Shea Yedlin and Garza.

So again, I'm being very adventurous in my guessing. Even if we don't go with a newer formation, I think we still bring probably the same group, maybe move a few forwards for mids. With Green obviously being a mid, Zardes being a capable winger, etc. it's not a hard switch. But you have Jones, Cameron, Shea, Yedlin, Garza and Johnson as 6 guys who will almost certainly be on the roster for flexibility. Jones can be a CM, CDM, CB, or full back. Cameron same thing, and you can use Shea, Yedlin, Garza. and Johnson out wide in a variety of roles.

But anyway the full break down of my 3-5-3.

GK - Guzan
CB - Gonzalez (height)
CB - Besler (composure)
CB - Brooks. Jones and Cameron getting work in their as well depending on opponent and need. Wouldn't want Gonzalez in there if we're not facing a heading thread team, so on so forth.
LWB - Shea (think his form has been better than Garza, though I'm temped to put Johnson here)
RWB - Yedlin - I think the starter here will change pretty regularly, if Shea or Yedlin struggle I don't think Klinsmann will be afraid of the hook.
CDM - Jones/Cameron
CM - Bradley
CM - Mix
LW - Dempsey
ST - Jozy
RW - Green

OK I'm projecting too high on Green, but I think him at right Wing essentially in one on ones cause no one will want to leave Yedlin un marked and no one will want mix or Bradley to be given too much time so I think the mids will hang more central, and I think Green in that role of one on one with right backs will be able to generate some great chances for Jozy and Dempsey. Essentially Dempsey on the left wing is used as someone who'll move into a support striker role a lot but not really venture to the other side of the pitch.

Well, for Morris there's also a niggling little detail; he can't play in the Gold Cup and still be NCAA eligible. Players in the Gold Cup receive pay and bonuses based on how well their team does, Morris can't accept any of that, unless the NCAA is willing to grant a special exemption to him. For the same reason he could not have received Man of the Match honors even if he was 21 and over (requirement for the Budweiser branded award due to US liquor laws); any payment received and Morris is straight out of the NCAA (which would be better, so much better...but that's another rant).

As for the rest of your post, I'm not sure Klinsmann is so keen on the 3-5-3. Most of the US best performances have come in the 4-4-2/4-5-1, which is essentially how he deployed against Mexico (Morris was listed as a forward, but he played a lot like an attack midfielder or winger). The line up you list isn't bad, though I think Shea would be the left back of choice rather than a midfielder, Green would likely play as a midfielder. I'd see the starting XI as something like this:

GK - Howard (if back from sabbatical, if not, Guzan)
DF - Yedlin, Besler, Gonzalez, Shea
MF - Jones/Beckerman (depending on health or whim), Bradley, Bedoya, Mix
F - Dempsey, Altidore

Dempsey plays underneath as a combination attacking midfielder and forward, Altidore is the frontmost/holding forward. Jones or Beckerman play defensive midfield, freeing up Bradley to be an attacking/connecting midfielder. Bedoya goes up the left, Mix up the right. Yedlin and Shea overlap as necessary while Besler and Gonzalez hold the line (save on corner kicks, where Gonzalez comes up for nasty headers).

Wow, so that CCL final just has me shaking my head about the refs. Terrible calls everywhere, so badly that it looked like cheating or that the ref had been intimidated. Nonetheless, the Impact have gotten a 1-1 tie out of a rough trip to Mexico, if they can keep a clean sheet in the last game in Montreal, they'll win.

Not until Evans came in. He did get more advanced in general though. Judging by how the first half was played, the US looked to be spending the first half a little more cautious because of the ****tiness of the pitch. By the second half they were a bit more ambitious.

I liked him in that roll. IMO, when he's playing the 2 position, most of his brilliance comes from overlapping runs in the channel. Defending the back side, not so much. He's definitely an exciting player with plenty of upside with his speed. Hopefully he'll let Mane sneek one past if he sees action with the Spurs this weekend.

2. Fox Sports Has Its First Big Controversy
A lot of people were very concerned about Fox Sports taking over the World Cup and MLS soccer, and for those that were worried, the first big issue has come up. MLS was preempted by a rain-delayed NASCAR race, moved to Fox Sports 2. The problem? Fox Sports 2 isn't available without an extra sports package in Portland, this left the vast majority of Portland fans completely unable to watch the game. If a World Cup or Gold Cup were to get bumped due to something like this, a lot of people would be very, very angry. As it is, I'd point out to Fox Sports that they just pissed off a fanbase whose mascot wields a chainsaw...maybe rethink that next time.

I'm honestly not sure what the controversy is here. That NASCAR race drew 2.6 million viewers. Opening weekend for MLS on FS1 averaged 280 thousand or so. You're talking about a 10x sized audience, there is no network on the planet that wouldn't have bumped the soccer game for the Nascar game. I certainly understand the disappointment, I was disappointed myself. But it certainly was the right decision for Fox to make, and I certainly don't think its fair if anyone views it as a sign about their commitment to soccer.

Well, for Morris there's also a niggling little detail; he can't play in the Gold Cup and still be NCAA eligible. Players in the Gold Cup receive pay and bonuses based on how well their team does, Morris can't accept any of that, unless the NCAA is willing to grant a special exemption to him. For the same reason he could not have received Man of the Match honors even if he was 21 and over (requirement for the Budweiser branded award due to US liquor laws); any payment received and Morris is straight out of the NCAA (which would be better, so much better...but that's another rant).

I would assume he could just not accept whatever pay was on the line?

I know olympic medal winners can be paid and still maintain their college eligibility. Not sure if something similar is in place for something like this. Maybe?

Wow, so that CCL final just has me shaking my head about the refs. Terrible calls everywhere, so badly that it looked like cheating or that the ref had been intimidated. Nonetheless, the Impact have gotten a 1-1 tie out of a rough trip to Mexico, if they can keep a clean sheet in the last game in Montreal, they'll win.

That was a hot mess indeed. Loved how the America player who grabbed Oduro's shirt was acting angry about getting a yellow. He should have been thanking the ref for not sending him off.

I'm honestly not sure what the controversy is here. That NASCAR race drew 2.6 million viewers. Opening weekend for MLS on FS1 averaged 280 thousand or so. You're talking about a 10x sized audience, there is no network on the planet that wouldn't have bumped the soccer game for the Nascar game. I certainly understand the disappointment, I was disappointed myself. But it certainly was the right decision for Fox to make, and I certainly don't think its fair if anyone views it as a sign about their commitment to soccer.

Fox Sports 2 is not available in Portland and the Pacific Northwest is pretty much the most intense soccer fanship in the US, the fact that Fox bumped a game to an unwatchable channel while simultaneously blocking out local affiliates is troubling for a lot of soccer fans (particularly in Portland). From a business perspective it makes sense, but from the perspective of a soccer fan it shows a troubling willingness to completely screw over loyal fans. If the Sounders/Timbers game this week gets preempted, you'll see Fox employees' heads on pikes all around Seattle and Portland.

I would assume he could just not accept whatever pay was on the line?

I know olympic medal winners can be paid and still maintain their college eligibility. Not sure if something similar is in place for something like this. Maybe?

Well, anytime there is a soccer competition like this, it all has to get the okay from the NCAA if one of their players are involved anyway, but by FIFA bylaws you must pay players for competitive matches. So the only way for Morris (or other NCAA players) to play for the USA in the Gold Cup is if the NCAA gives a special exemption to Morris, that's pretty unlikely. Hell, the only way Morris could play for the USA against Mexico was to get a special exemption, the US paid for all of his food and his flight which can be considered "gifts" under NCAA rules.

Well, anytime there is a soccer competition like this, it all has to get the okay from the NCAA if one of their players are involved anyway, but by FIFA bylaws you must pay players for competitive matches. So the only way for Morris (or other NCAA players) to play for the USA in the Gold Cup is if the NCAA gives a special exemption to Morris, that's pretty unlikely. Hell, the only way Morris could play for the USA against Mexico was to get a special exemption, the US paid for all of his food and his flight which can be considered "gifts" under NCAA rules.

Sure, but FIFA also say teams must provide training compensation to a players youth clubs when they get transferred and US teams ignore that. ;)

Back to the fs2 thing, like I said, I get being frustrated, but it just doesn't make sense to me for fans to expect Fox to favor a given fan base over another which is ten times it's size. Getting bumped sucks, but any sport other than nfl probably would have gotten bumped as well. The only way it's troubling is if you can honestly convince yourself that it's better to screw over more fans of another sport just because it's not the one you watch.

Fox Sports 2 is not available in Portland and the Pacific Northwest is pretty much the most intense soccer fanship in the US, the fact that Fox bumped a game to an unwatchable channel while simultaneously blocking out local affiliates is troubling for a lot of soccer fans (particularly in Portland). From a business perspective it makes sense, but from the perspective of a soccer fan it shows a troubling willingness to completely screw over loyal fans. If the Sounders/Timbers game this week gets preempted, you'll see Fox employees' heads on pikes all around Seattle and Portland.

The whole Fox debate doesn't surprise me.
The last season Fox had Premier League rights, our local affiliate showed infomercials instead of airing the Arsenal v Manchester United game that was scheduled to be on the main Fox channel. They don't care. The day that none of the Fox companies have exclusive rights to any soccer leagues or cup competitions will be one of the greatest days of my life.

They are awful. Their streaming site sucks. Their analysts are horrible. The show poker tournaments when there are live games that they have rights to.

The whole Fox debate doesn't surprise me.
The last season Fox had Premier League rights, our local affiliate showed infomercials instead of airing the Arsenal v Manchester United game that was scheduled to be on the main Fox channel.

And this is the kind of stuff that, imo, can legitimately be called troubling when talking about Fox's commitment. My guess is that it will be less likely to happen this go around because Fox paid a lot (more than mls is worth at the moment, probably), and it's a long term deal, both of which give Fox lots of incentive to do things right. Whether they will, who knows, but they have good reasons to. :p

Holy **** this weekend.

1. Goals! Goals! Goals!
Not a single game ended without a goal this weekend, and Saturday saw an 8 (!) goal tie game between Houston and Kansas City. If you like goals this is your weekend.

2. Portland and Seattle Renew Their Rivalry
Seattle won 1-0 on a bit of a lucky goal after Portland's goalie bobbled the ball, but Seattle dominated most of the game and it often felt like Portland had parked the bus. Nonetheless, the battle at the midfield was the real show for this match, when Portland get Valeri and Johnson back, could Seattle be in trouble based on their performance this game? I don't think so, but then I'm a Seattle fan.

3. Toronto Gets a Much Needed Win
Jozy Altidore got his second brace and his fourth goal of the season against Orlando, in a much needed win amongst Toronto's lousy start (admittedly fueled, in part, by a 7 game road trip). Orlando continues to struggle at home, will this change once Orlando is in their permanent home?

4. NYCFC Is In a Nose Dive
In the last three games NYCFC has drawn, lost and lost and this wasn't to good teams. The Union, Timbers and Fire have all gotten points out of NYCFC, injuries are a factor here, but Kreis needs to fix things and fast or this will be a lost season.

5. Real Salt Lake is Struggling
In previous years, Real Salt Lake had been a real threat in the west, but in their second year with Jason Kreis and now without their GM, Garth Lagerway, Salt Lake is now struggling. Salt Lake hasn't won in the last 3 matches and they just got thrashed 4-0 by New England. Real's next two games against struggling San Jose and LA should give us a better idea of where Salt Lake is.

With Montreal last half collapse to Club America in CONCACAF Champions League, I was pondering what went right for Montreal and what went wrong, and how that can possibly create a template for success for MLS teams in CCL.

What Went Right
1. Montreal Made CCL A Priority
Montreal put their best guys in for every CCL game and rested guys for MLS games as necessary, given the generally higher quality of talent you'll see in the CCL this is an absolute must for anyone who wants to go deep into the CCL.

2. International Backbone
Many of Montreal's players come from international backgrounds where you might find yourself playing in harsh conditions, either due to poor fields or racist/violent crowds. One thing that many people overlook in CCL competition is the fact that the countries you're going to have a very different, often more violent passion for the game based as much in national and regional pride as in the actual team. An earlier video MLS put out showing preparations for the Impact to head to the stadium for an away CCL match included a police officer telling the team to not provoke the crowd as it could get deadly.

3. Discipline Despite Referee Corruption/Mistakes
The refs in CCL are often biased, intimidated or bribed when MLS teams come to town, leading to some very bad calls. What Montreal did right is to ensure that everyone was disciplined in their response to bad calls, there was little in the way of retaliatory fouls or arguments from the Impact throughout their run.

What Went Wrong
1. Not Enough Depth
A problem for any MLS team heading into CCL, while often times the starting 11 of an MLS team is enough to match up against our Mexican counterparts, the next 11 men up usually aren't. The issue is that the MLS minimum and average wages are so poor by comparison that it's hard to build a good overall team, soccer is a game where one weak link can cost you and it did big time for Montreal. Thanks to being a bit shorthanded at right back and a stand-in goalkeeper signed from NASL, Montreal let in 4 goals last night.

2. Too Much Defense
Montreal, in all honesty, parked the bus for the majority of their CCL matches, particularly away. There's nothing wrong with that, necessarily, but if you want to win I think you have to take it to these other teams with your offense and put them on the back foot. Until someone has both the talent and the balls to go on offense in places like Azteca, I don't think MLS will win the CCL.

With Montreal last half collapse to Club America in CONCACAF Champions League, I was pondering what went right for Montreal and what went wrong, and how that can possibly create a template for success for MLS teams in CCL.

What Went Right
1. Montreal Made CCL A Priority
Montreal put their best guys in for every CCL game and rested guys for MLS games as necessary, given the generally higher quality of talent you'll see in the CCL this is an absolute must for anyone who wants to go deep into the CCL.
Coaches are now coming out and saying that they are making CCL a priority, including Il Bruce who is notorious for not giving credence to outside tournaments (USOC, CCL)

2. International Backbone
Many of Montreal's players come from international backgrounds where you might find yourself playing in harsh conditions, either due to poor fields or racist/violent crowds. One thing that many people overlook in CCL competition is the fact that the countries you're going to have a very different, often more violent passion for the game based as much in national and regional pride as in the actual team. An earlier video MLS put out showing preparations for the Impact to head to the stadium for an away CCL match included a police officer telling the team to not provoke the crowd as it could get deadly.
Maybe it's because I usually only talk about CCL with domestic/USNT fans but I don't think anybody dismisses the feverishness of the fans... dude, CONCACAF can be a scary place.

3. Discipline Despite Referee Corruption/Mistakes
The refs in CCL are often biased, intimidated or bribed when MLS teams come to town, leading to some very bad calls. What Montreal did right is to ensure that everyone was disciplined in their response to bad calls, there was little in the way of retaliatory fouls or arguments from the Impact throughout their run.
CONCACAF be CONCACAFin'

But in all seriousness, I noticed that as well. They were pure class in both legs.

What Went Wrong
1. Not Enough Depth
A problem for any MLS team heading into CCL, while often times the starting 11 of an MLS team is enough to match up against our Mexican counterparts, the next 11 men up usually aren't. The issue is that the MLS minimum and average wages are so poor by comparison that it's hard to build a good overall team, soccer is a game where one weak link can cost you and it did big time for Montreal. Thanks to being a bit shorthanded at right back and a stand-in goalkeeper signed from NASL, Montreal let in 4 goals last night.
I wouldn't discount Nicht. He did a helluva job considering the conditions/stress. He has experience and was basically the face of Indy Eleven (take that as you will.)

2. Too Much Defense
Montreal, in all honesty, parked the bus for the majority of their CCL matches, particularly away. There's nothing wrong with that, necessarily, but if you want to win I think you have to take it to these other teams with your offense and put them on the back foot. Until someone has both the talent and the balls to go on offense in places like Azteca, I don't think MLS will win the CCL.
Dude... DUUUUUUDE! Ugh after the opening goal I was screaming at my TV because they started bunkering. Holy f**king s*** how do some top tier coaches not realize that if you're up and are still looking solid on defense and in the middle third DON'T CHANGE THE TACTICS! Playing forward and controlling the midfield obviously worked but pfft, f**k that, let's stop doing anything that was keeping them on their heels.

/rant

Perhaps overlook is the wrong word for what I meant, underestimate maybe? I've certainly talked to more casual fans that didn't quite understand exactly how unnerving a trip to some CONCACAF countries can be.

As for Nicht, I think he did okay but I think Bush would have done significantly better. And one of the big things with a recently signed goalkeeper like that is you don't know how good he is going to be if you're the back line, so you try to make sure nothing gets past you, but that can lead to mistakes. Although honestly my bigger gripe was with Nigel Reo Coker, at least three goals in the final were directly his fault.

An interesting week for MLS, here's my thoughts.

1. MLS Puts Out Public Roster Rules
Arguably the biggest MLS news of this weekend are the newly released roster rules, which MLS put out in public. You can find them here: MLS Roster Rules. The highlights include a roughly $3.5 million salary cap, clear rules for player allocation, even designated players, (so no more funky coin flips for players) and a maximum of roughly roughly $430,000 player maximum salary outside of the designated players (who count as the maximum with some caveats). The clarified rules are probably the biggest point of interest for fans, but it's also worth noting that the salary cap "only" went up about $400,000. Guys like Grant Wahl called this a loss for the players out of their negotiations, but it's worth noting that unlike everything else in these rules, the player free agency clause is bound in law. If nothing else, perhaps player acquisition in MLS just became less stupid and opaque and that's a very good thing.

2. New York Red Bulls Lose to New England who Become First in the East
New York lost in a dominant New England performance and New England took first in the east by a nose over DC United. This is New York's first loss, but they've also only won 3 of their 8 games so far. The game serves as a reminder to all teams in MLS, risky wins are worth more than safe draws.

3. Portland and Vancouver Draw in Your Cascadia Cup Update
Portland and Vancouver had a scoreless draw, which isn't terribly notable, but if you're keeping up with the Cascadia Cup this puts Seattle in a prime position to potentially retake the cup for the first time in years; Vancouver has the current lead, but the Sounders are a mere point behind with a game in hand.

4. Houston, We Have a Problem
Houston is having a very bad year so far after their first coach left for San Jose, without Kinnear Houston has started 2015 with a 2-4(d)-3 record and currently sit a mere point out of last, although that puts them in "good" company with RSL, San Jose and Portland. Enter Dallas, who blasted Houston at home 4-1, sure Dallas leads the west but from a previously stingy Houston side that's a very bad sign, particularly since Houston has little in the way of offense. Houston needs to figure this out, and soon, or this will be a lost season.

5. Maybe Seattle Should Play on a Narrow Field
So, on the much derided narrow field of NYCFC the Sounders turned in a dominant 3-1 performance which included an 18(?!) pass scoring play. With the win, Seattle sits just 1 point out of top of the west, with 1-2 games in hand versus Dallas and Vancouver. Admittedly, NYCFC is a wounded animal and they did look good for long stretches of the game, but Martins and Dempsey playing on a narrow field is absolutely deadly, maybe the Sounders should artificially narrow their home field?

1. Not Enough Depth

Yup. The interesting consequence of salary cap + DP is that MLS teams can end up spending the money to compile a CCL competitive roster, but because the cap/DP system force them to concentrate the cash on a few players, the depth is lacking.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...overtake-liga-mx-to-dominate-concacaf-region/ for a couple roster salary comparisons of mls vs mx.

The DP thing may work as far as attracting interest, because big names do draw, but it's not the way to maximize a roster.

Yup. The interesting consequence of salary cap + DP is that MLS teams can end up spending the money to compile a CCL competitive roster, but because the cap/DP system force them to concentrate the cash on a few players, the depth is lacking.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...overtake-liga-mx-to-dominate-concacaf-region/ for a couple roster salary comparisons of mls vs mx.

The DP thing may work as far as attracting interest, because big names do draw, but it's not the way to maximize a roster.

That chart is a very good explanation, particularly when you consider that soccer is a "weak link" game, meaning the weakest player hurts you more than your best player adds. The top 3-4 guys in MLS make more than their Liga MX counterparts, but everyone else is getting table scraps compared to their Mexican fellows.

So the EPL has been decided (go Chelsea/Mourinho!) but MLS is just heating up. A few thoughts on the week.

1. A NY Rivalry Is Born?
New York Red Bulls supporters, without a hint of irony, put up a tifo saying NYCFC is twenty years too late, smurfs and "Manchester City Lite"; never mind that New York Red Bulls are basically FC Red Bull Salzburg lite. A lot of people, rightfully, loathe the New York franchises but do they hate each other enough yet? I'd say a second yellow card and a 2-1 victory for the 10 man team is a good start, but to call this a proper rivalry now is a bit early. As a note, the season so far for NYCFC is taking a bit of shine off former SLC coach Jason Kreis, who is failing to be quite so successful despite having more resources at his disposal than ever before. Kreis apparently told Alexi Lalas that this has been a lot harder than he expected and it sounds like he might regret talking up his team so much in the pre season. Kreis looked like a many looking for an answer, any answer, pulling his two designated players and putting in young talent, that is not a good sign.

2. Colorado Rapids Set a New MLS Record
Colorado set a new MLS record...for most games at home without a win. 11 games at home without a win is not a good look for any team. I thought that I was going to be eating crow after Colorado beat Dallas 4-1 in their own stadium, but since then they've continued to perform poorly. Colorado has more draws than MLS right now at 7, most of them scoreless and they sit at the bottom of the west by 3 points, if the Rapids don't want this to be another lost season they need to fix their issues, and soon.

3. Toronto Comes Out Flat
Many thought that a return home after a seven game away stint would fix much of what ails Toronto, but the newly renovated BMO stadium saw Toronto come out as if they were on tranquilizers, playing defensive soccer (and when they play defense, they're usually not good), Toronto FC coughed up 2 goals to a less than spectacular Dynamo offense before coming awake and out of their shell. Altidore and Giovinco continue to be bright spots, (Michael Bradley didn't have the best game, getting flat out beaten on the build up to the second goal) but everyone else in Toronto seems to be playing bad soccer. Only two teams have let more goals in the back of the net than Toronto, their opponents for the night and tire fire Philadelphia.

4. The Great Philadelphia Tire Fire
The Union have traditionally not been a power house in MLS, without big spending owners or a sizable stadium the great fan support has seen mediocre to bad soccer, but Philadelphia is worse than bad right now. Philadelphia can't score, they can't defend, they can't seem to get anything right. No one in MLS has lost more than the Union (7 losses), the only team with fewer points is Montreal Impact who have played 6 fewer games thanks to the CCL run, they have no games in hand and finally Philadelphia has an insane -11 (?!) goal differential. So for now, let's all refer to the Philadelphia team as what they are, the Philadelphia Tire Fire!

5. Montreal Comes Out Flat
After their CCL final game the question was whether this Montreal team might be any good, well judging by their return to MLS action this week, no, they aren't. A 2-1 loss to the struggling Portland Timbes at home is not a good look. Montreal fans might gripe about the fall called on McIrnerney that negated a goal, but it's the right call, you can't just give a guy a two-handed shove in the back and then head home a goal, no matter the league.

I thought that I was going to be eating crow after Colorado beat Dallas 4-1 in their own stadium...
Don't worry, it's coming...I hope.

The results suck, but we have had the opportunity to win every game. Seattle was the biggest test to that statement. Scoring is the monkey on our back. The good news is that we have a whopping two losses despite not scoring, two strikers signed with pending visas and the second half of the season is when teams make it or are broken. Yes, despite the results I am still optimistic.

Go RAPIDS!

Well, looks like the PL is set. Chelsea obviously has already won the title, Arsenal may still come back for second but will at least take 3rd, and same for City, if the gods shine on Liverpool there's an unlikely mathematical shred of a chance for CL (as in they slaughter both opponents by wide margins and Man U loses embarassingly by the same to offset the GD), but Man U goes CL qualifying, and Liverpool into Europa. Looks like Spurs are going to Europa unless we lose to Toffees next weekend, and Saints beat City (or we draw and they win, or we lose and they draw). And even then, still requires Gooners to fall to AV, which I highly doubt, where where AV has floundered in the PL they somehow held their own in the FA Cup. I'd rather lose out on Europa (better for next season anyway) if it costs Arsenal another piece of silverware. But as long as we win next weekend, doesn't matter what happens, we go to Europa (even if only at the qualifying round).

Meanwhile, looks like QPR and Burnley are doomed to Championship League, Magpies must win for security, and Hull needs both a win and a miracle to avoid relegation.

And then Irons and Toffees for the last Fair Play spot in Europa. Maybe they'll both get a bunch of red cards, and Burnley might even get a shot.

Back