The hop shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone paying $5 or more for 2 oz. of hops. It's gettin bad here in Washington state, I can't find SAAZ or hardley any noble hops and it's lager season.

sleepystevenson said:
Do you guys who are growing hops feel it is necessary to have a single string for them? The reason I ask, is my neighbor has a fencing business, and I was planning on using a 10' wide and at least 10' high fence section for each variety of hops. It is your standard metal fence, sorta like a trellis. Another question...how many plants do you figure I could plant in a 10' section of the fence? Thanks!

I have a trellis that is 10' by 6 ' and have 2 plants growing up on it. It is completely full by the end of the season. If i could I would at to the height and I might with something this year. I would recommend only one on the fence or find something that can be used to grow up. Mine is actually around an adult 2 seater swing and in the late fall the fragrance is incredible! It FORCES me to get a beer.

Yep, unfortunatly we'll have to get used to those prices for a while. I don't mind paying a little more but you just can't get some of the varities.

I was going to say... $5 for 2 oz is either low or right on target. I've heard suppliers say that they've got more than enough for the whole year (back in oct-nov) and now they're out.

Do you guys know where to get them (online); there are no real homebrew shops in NYC. Hallertau, Tettnang seem to be impossible to find, not good !
Morebeer/Austin seem tapped out as well.

$3.75 / oz in my neck of the woods. Not that bad, considering it only increases my cost by 6-8 bucks per batch. Still way cheaper vs. the price of a good 6 pack.

I personally don't mind paying the extra cost for hops if it puts more money in the pockets of the farmers to sway them away from corn. I get more pissed off when I see an increase of 10 cents a gallon over night at the pump!

Hell I don't care about the price, I just want to be able to get them. When I started brewing like 7-8 months ago the LHBS had like 30 different hops on hand, now they are lucky to have ten. :(

4.00$ an Ounce for Saaz and all other Hard to find Hops at my LHBS, But I cant get Williamette,Fuggles,Northern Brewer there. I have been tweaking recipes with what they have like on my Steam Beer I used Perle instead of northern Brewer.

I think it is starting to show in commercial brews now. I picked up a case of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale this past weekend and it was short on it's usual hops goodness.
I even suspect the hops were on their second trip thru the process.
AP

I haven't called or ordered from them but I found this online and they are just south of me. Free shipping though.

Listermann

Might be going to check them out while I am in town for V-Twin Expo (work thing).

Oakwood said:
I haven't called or ordered from them but I found this online and they are just south of me. Free shipping though.

Listermann

Might be going to check them out while I am in town for V-Twin Expo (work thing).

Before y'all go ordering off those 1lb-ers, from the front page of their website:

Please Note: Due to the current Hop shortage we must limit the purchase of Hops to 3 oz of each variety we have in stock. We continue to work hard to secure hops for our loyal customers and ask that you bear with us during this difficult time. Thank you for your understanding.

Oakwood said:

Listermann

I can vouch for Listermanns.com Quick, nice, and free shipping. Good Quality to boot!

I did stock up about 3 months ago from Freshhops.com. They are perfect hops!

I can vouch for Listermanns.com Quick, nice, and free shipping. Good Quality to boot!

which is currently out of stock on all accounts. i WISH you could get cascade for $13 a lb but these prices are old as the hills.

FSR402 said:
Hell I don't care about the price, I just want to be able to get them. When I started brewing like 7-8 months ago the LHBS had like 30 different hops on hand, now they are lucky to have ten. :(

+1 for that thought...I just made a brew a couple weeks ago that I had to substitute hops because the ones called for were not in stock and wouldn't be anytime soon :(

My LHBS has started rationing all hops... 2oz maximum, 2oz per every $25 spend (basically covering kits they sell). I promptly grabbed 4oz of cascade when the guy mentioned that, largely due to sierra nevada buying 90% of the available crop, they would be extinct in a couple months ;)

I talked with the head guy at Midwest when I was in there today. He said he'd be back to selling pounds by the summer. Said as soon as everyone gets their inventories figured out (as an industry) the prices will come back down and the availability will rise. He seemed pretty sure of himself. (As I was sitting at the register with ANOTHER 4 oz of NB.)

The question I have is how many of you are buying Hop Rhizomes for your new garden this spring?

If I had a good place to grow them, and was sure I was going to be around for a couple years you can bet your arse I'd have some cascade's growing!!!!

Seabee John said:
I talked with the head guy at Midwest when I was in there today. He said he'd be back to selling pounds by the summer. Said as soon as everyone gets their inventories figured out (as an industry) the prices will come back down and the availability will rise. He seemed pretty sure of himself.
I hope this is the case!!!

DeathBrewer said:
we're thinking of growing some saaz, tettnanger and maybe EKG this year with the already lovely fuggle, hallertau and cascade.

we'll see what's available.

:mug:

I was thinking along the same lines. I've got two different location (my back yard - partial shade to full sun & my brothers house - he's got an acre lot with full sun) I guess it depends on what I can get and what will do the best in each situation.

I went to Freshhops the other day to get me some Soriachi Ace and was surprised to see Dave's inventory and varieties so limited.

Of course I filled a freezer full of the stuff a few months ago so as my wife has noticed, I have enough hops for at least three years - may take that long to grow some if I can get the rhizomes.

Anyone ever tried growing hops in FL?

I was thinking about growing them in my backyard since i live in washington the climate is perfect. I was on freshops looking at rhizomes and it said that they cant ship rhizomes to washington state due to a hop disease quarantine. Can i still get rhizomes grown here in the state?

Pending actual receipt of the goods, I'll be getting 8 oz Fuggles, 1 lb EKG and 1 lb Hersbrucker (all plugs) from Brew It Yourself... per an email from Ray yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed! Prices weren't bad either... higher than last year, but not bad.

jayhoz said:
I was told via email that the prices on the website are not current prices. I am waiting on a quote from Ray.

That's what I got yesterday... fuggles by the ounce was $2.35. The EKG and Hersbrucker by the pound was $28.25. I ordered some other things, so I don't know if that was taken into account. I was just happy to get EKG by the pound!

• Hops Direct is not selling anything.
  • There are only a handful of hops available at the major on-lines and then you’re limited to 4 ounces each order.
  • Northern Brewer is asking for $6.00 for 1 ounce of certain hops.
  • Harvest doesn’t get under way until August.

It feels like the gas shortage of 1974.

I promise you one thing, my LHBS is placing orders for rhizomes in March and I will try and take matters into my own hands…even if I don’t get a bumper crop till year two.

Everytime I go to my LHBS I've been buying (4) 30G packets of EKG. He's still giving me them at $2.40CAD/30G until his current stock is gone. Once he re-orders he said he'll be looking at almost $8CAD/30G.

I wish I could plant some hops, I need to buy a house. :(

I wonder when it'll hit the commercial stuff. Personally I think some of the places that have hops are gouging the hell out of them. It wouldn't be quite as bad if they weren't exploiting the situation...

Back