The HOBBIT......don't bother

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, sorry, I forgot there was one more line about the giants...

"This won't do at all!" said Thorin. "If we don't get blown off or drowned, or struck by lightning, we shall be picked up by some giant and kicked sky-high for a football."

And here is where they meet Beorn, and the only place that Radagast is mentioned in The Hobbit:

"I am Gandalf," said the wizard.

"Never heard of him," growled the man, "And what's this little fellow?" he said, stooping down to frown at the hobbit with his bushy eyebrows.

"That is Mr. Baggins, a hobbit of good family and unimpeachable reputation," said Gandalf. Bilbo bowed. He had no hat to take off, and was painfully conscious of his many missing buttons. "I am a wizard," continued Gandalf. "I have heard of you, if you have not heard of me; but perhaps you have heard of my good cousin Radagast who lives near the Southern borders of Mirkwood?"

"Yes; not a bad fellow as wizards go, I believe. I used to see him now and again," said Beorn.

OOps, right about then, the Stone Giants are mentioned again..

we were attacked by the evil goblins*-as I was about to tell you."

"Go on telling, then!" said Beorn, who was never very polite.

"There was a terrible storm; the stone-giants were out hurling rocks, and at the head of the pass we took refuge in a cave, the hob bit and I and several of our companions…"

"Do you call two several?"

"Well, no. As a matter of fact there were more than two."

And then Gandalf gets around to introducing a few more of the dwarves, as you know Beorn wouldn't have liked it if the full party had come upon him all at one time. Gandalf had to slowly bring one or two into the picture at a time.

I have been intentionally avoiding the trailers....like shielding my eyes.

"Well, I did hear something a bout a ring and a dark lord and a female elf and barrels with no lids and the end of the world or something..."

;)

The thing that has bothered me with the tie-in advertising is the way they pronounce Smaug as SMA-OOG like it's some kind of intricate two-syllable word.

The thing that has bothered me with the tie-in advertising is the way they pronounce Smaug as SMA-OOG like it's some kind of intricate two-syllable word.

Unfortunately, if it is like the LOTR, PJ actually took JRRT's pronunciation, no matter how ridiculous. It often clashed with my assumed pronunciations.

I find the pronunciation a bit funny, just because it seems to difficult for people to wrap their lips around... I can imagine a voice over guy pulling his hair out trying to chew out Smaug properly. Especially with writing and syntax that is particularly Queen's english, but spoken with an American accent. Take that Burger King!

I think this is one place where Tolkien the philologist and linguist would not have compromised.

I think the Wife and I are going to go see it for our anniversary next weekend after a fantastic swanky brunch.

I hope you enjoy it. I hope I do too......assuming I see it.

The commercials are now leaving me feeling like there is NO way i will like it.

F*CK YOU HOLLYWOOD.

I hope you enjoy it. I hope I do too......assuming I see it.

The commercials are now leaving me feeling like there is NO way i will like it.

F*CK YOU HOLLYWOOD.

The commercials have way over the top graphics which I personally detest. Fortunately, the movie theater that I am going to serves beer. Mmm...Hoppyium.

Seeing the new one at 10:00 tonight in the 48fps HFR 3D (only saw the first last week in 3D on my own TV).

For some reason I always pronounced it as "smog". But the way I keep hearing them pronounce it is as really only monosyllabic: e.g. "Smowg" (the vowel pronounced as in "owl", "loud", "ouch", etc), rather than as a disyllabic "sma-OOG".

Just got back from The Desolation of Smaug. It's been about 15 years since I read The Hobbit as a kid so I don't really know how well it matches up to the book, but I can say with much certainty that this 2nd installment is a considerable improvement over the first movie.

Alamo Drafthouse, iPix... Etc. Finally movie theatres for adults!

In Sheffield England this week... Looks like I can catch the opening in IMAX 3D here. Anxious to hear about your impressions on the second round of 48fps 3d. I didn't care for it in many scenes.

Alamo Drafthouse, iPix... Etc. Finally movie theatres for adults!

In Sheffield England this week... Looks like I can catch the opening in IMAX 3D here. Anxious to hear about your impressions on the second round of 48fps 3d. I didn't care for it in many scenes.

I honestly didn't notice anything appreciably different from other 3D movies... I think I'd have to see them side by side TBH. However, I thought the action looked pretty good.

I didn't HATE the first part like others here seemed to have, and even found enjoyment in it, but like I said, I think this 2nd one is a big improvement, and I'm guessing PJ took a lot of the criticism from the first one to heart.

I will say though that the barrel scene in particular was pretty absurd, even more ridiculous than the trailers and stills made it out to be (the fact that they are open barrels is really nothing in the grand scheme of it all).

You don't have booze-licensed theaters where you live? They're certainly not the majority here, but are still easy enough to find.

Only one, and it actually shows good movies, not hollywood slop.

I'm looking forward to it. I've read the book a couple of times, and still enjoyed the first part - go figure!

(see below)

I didn't HATE the first part like others here seemed to have, and even found enjoyment in it, but like I said, I think this 2nd one is a big improvement, and I'm guessing PJ took a lot of the criticism from the first one to heart.

I will say though that the barrel scene in particular was pretty absurd, even more ridiculous than the trailers and stills made it out to be (the fact that they are open barrels is really nothing in the grand scheme of it all).

What made me have high hopes (as has been said) plain and simple, is that the First LOTR set the bar too high.

Yes I understand why it went downhill from there, yes I should realize by now that NOTHING will be that good, but part of me is still screaming "F** YOU HOLLYWOOD!!!!! You should be better than that!!!!"

;)

I'll watch the first installment tonight, and hopefully go see the second in the coming weeks. I have read the book, but I was probably a bit more casual than others on here. I don't remember a lot what you all are talking about.

I'll watch the first installment tonight, and hopefully go see the second in the coming weeks. I have read the book, but I was probably a bit more casual than others on here. I don't remember a lot what you all are talking about.

:off:Got to see Mumford here on the waterfront in the FREE seats! They aren't my favorite, but there is no questioning their awesomeness live.

The train movie with them, OCMShow, and Ed Sharp the magnetic 0s was pretty cool too.

They are the most down to earth, unpretensive guys ever!

Smaug. Using a German pronounciation, the au combination would be sounded individually, ah-ow. Example, Braun (German for Brown) actually sounds just like the English Brown. Braumeister is pronounced BROWmeister (With a long E sound for the ei combination). Haus is the same as House in English.

So, yes, Smaug would be pronounced smowg, or actually, would probably be pronounced Shmowg, as the leading S, when followed by another consonant, has the SH sound, more or less.

Even so, when I read this to myself or out loud to someone else, I always pronounced it Smowg, as in the commercials.

:off:Got to see Mumford here on the waterfront in the FREE seats! They aren't my favorite, but there is no questioning their awesomeness live.

The train movie with them, OCMShow, and Ed Sharp the magnetic 0s was pretty cool too.

They are the most down to earth, unpretensive guys ever!

Um. Ok. Great stuff.

Smaug. Using a German pronounciation, the au combination would be sounded individually, ah-ow. Example, Braun (German for Brown) actually sounds just like the English Brown. Braumeister is pronounced BROWmeister (With a long E sound for the ei combination). Haus is the same as House in English.

So, yes, Smaug would be pronounced smowg, or actually, would probably be pronounced Shmowg, as the leading S, when followed by another consonant, has the SH sound, more or less.

Even so, when I read this to myself or out loud to someone else, I always pronounced it Smowg, as in the commercials.

I realized right after my post that it's the same as "vorlauf" ;)

Saw it last night. I know that people said it was better than the first one, but that just confirms my theory that people are getting more and more stupid overtime. The crowd I was in cheered for the Godzilla trailer - nuff said. The love story between the dwarf and the elf lady was a bit much, and some of the fight scenes were way over the top. I enjoyed the scenes with Smaug though. Still worth going to see though.

Saw it last night. I know that people said it was better than the first one, but that just confirms my theory that people are getting more and more stupid overtime. The crowd I was in cheered for the Godzilla trailer - nuff said. The love story between the dwarf and the elf lady was a bit much, and some of the fight scenes were way over the top. I enjoyed the scenes with Smaug though. Still worth going to see though.

Lol, awesome review.

That's just a little condescending. You have absolutely no idea of the kind of film I'm into (and in a big way). If you want to see a worthwhile movie, go see 12 Years a Slave. IMO The Hobbit shouldn't even be watched unless you've seen that (rather essential, IMO) film.

That's just a little condescending. You have absolutely no idea of the kind of film I'm into (and in a big way). If you want to see a worthwhile movie, go see 12 Years a Slave. IMO The Hobbit shouldn't even be watched unless you've seen that (rather essential, IMO) film.

Sorry, but I have to question the intelligence of people that cheer for a Godzilla movie. When's the last time one has been made that wasn't god awful?? I'm not saying you shouldn't see it, but I'm not sure I'd pay money.

Didn't see a Godzilla trailer at my screening. Though people actually applauded at the end of the movie, which is rare and unexpected. I think they were mostly applauding the introduction of Smaug, though.

I'm not saying it's a great movie, but in my mind there's no question it was better than the first. Just doing away with the childish nonsense and non-scenes of the first was a big improvement, and it seems that critics largely agree.

That being said, I may have dozed off for a bit without realizing it, because I don't really remember much elf/dwarf romance :p

And, having already mentioned 12 Years a Slave, I'll do so again. Go see it, if possible. It's not an easy movie to watch by any means, but, as someone who goes to the theater almost weekly for most of the year, it's the best film I've seen all year, and probably over the last several years.

That being said, I may have dozed off for a bit without realizing it, because I don't really remember much elf/dwarf romance :p

You may have missed it during a bathroom break? I actually made it through the movie without getting up, and a lot of elf/dwarf romance took part in the Lake Town scenes. Given that dwarfs and elves typically hate each other, I found it difficult to accept but oh well.

The first movie was way over the top with the effects/silliness with the goblin king scenes, but this movie was a little much too with Legolas/Tauriel defying gravity. I'll still probably see it a second time with the in-laws in a couple weeks and perhaps my opinion will change. To clarify, I'm not saying it was bad but it wasn't nearly as good as the LOTR movies. The storyline definitely seemed to drag a bit in this one.

And, having already mentioned 12 Years a Slave, I'll do so again. Go see it, if possible. It's not an easy movie to watch by any means, but, as someone who goes to the theater almost weekly for most of the year, it's the best film I've seen all year, and probably over the last several years.

I do enjoy good movies so I'll definitely give this a try but might wait for it to come out on Hulu/Amazon.

IMO it wasn't better than the first. For starters, RADAGAST! There were some great scenes that weren't in the books, but had to do with the mythology (or possibly supposed mythology) but still cool.

But for me, there was just too much extreme CGI action sequences. I loved Smaug, but they really drew out his interaction with the dwarves. I was like. HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO GO ON??

There were a few minor inconsistencies with the book, but for the most part I could look past them.

And, UGH, the barrel sequence...

Sorry, but I have to question the intelligence of people that cheer for a Godzilla movie.

Have you not seen Pacific Rim or is that kind of dribble too far beneath your ridiculously high level of intellectuality? Life must be really hard for you being so much more intelligent than all of the other stupid people and especially those who like Godzilla movies. Must be very frustrating for you, I'm sure Einstein would have similar problems if he were alive today. :rolleyes:

Have you not seen Pacific Rim or is that kind of dribble too far beneath your ridiculously high level of intellectuality? Life must be really hard for you being so much more intelligent than all of the other stupid people and especially those who like Godzilla movies. Must be very frustrating for you, I'm sure Einstein would have similar problems if he were alive today. :rolleyes:

I actually did :). Pacific Rim was entertaining but poorly written and was full of holes. Still it was good for a time killer this past summer. Godzilla though...urgh...they have yet to make a Godzilla that doesn't suck balls. So yeah, when people get excited or cheer for Godzilla, I do have to question their intelligence. It's a ****ing Godzilla movie you twerps...that you're going to pay $10 to see and it's going to be marketed on everything next summer. Everything.

Oh no...A gigantic lizard (that somehow breaths underwater?) is attacking NYC and we can't do anything to stop it? This is ****ing America. We have the biggest military in the world. We can stop a ****ing lizard with the push of a button. The entire concept is beyond stupid.

Back