The guy who bottled to early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarmike7495

Reaction score
Hey guys last week I made one of those know before you post threads were I was deciding whether or not to bottle while fermentation wasnt completely finished. I did, and no bottle bombs occured, also yesterday I opened one up just to see if it was carbonated and give it a taste. When I opened it the beer spewed out the top but stopped after a little bit and when I tasted it was actually really good tasted like it still needed to age of course but the carbonation was just right. Thanks guys!!

Sounds like you are not out of the danger zone just yet. If it has only been a week, there still may be some sugars for those yeast to ferment. In that case, you could still have bottle bombs. If you are happy with the carbonation, I would put every single beer that you can into the fridge to slow/stop the fermentation.

Edit: Did you take any gravity readings before bottling?

When you got the spewing, did you have the bottle in the fridge for a while? Reason I am asking is that CO2 is absorbed better by cold liquids, plus the pressure in the head space will drop. If you opened a warm beer, the excess CO2 and pressure may have caused the spewing.

Either way, I would get those babies in the fridge. Without knowing your specific recipe/yeast/fermenting process, all I can say is that the beer may want to creep lower than 1.012. If you cant fit them all, at least keep the room temp beers in a rubbermaid container so you can easily clean up glass shards and beer if you do have bombs.

I'm not trying to scare you, but bottle bombs can be dangerous.

aright yeah it was at about 70F when I opened it but if I put them in the fridge will they age correctly and could I keep them in there for two weeks?

They may age a little slower, but they will age. Better than being on the floor though!

Im betting that the spewing had something to do with the temperature. You might see that once you get the beer properly chilled you dont experience the spew.

Back